FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 2:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-02 11:54, TikiG wrote:

A Babalu/Squid collab?

Thanks for posting the in-process pics. Can't wait to see the finished deal. G

Here are some behind the scenes shots of this epic collaboration. It's kind of like in Star Trek when Scotty and Jim are in a full on crisis. Squid yells "Babalu, you're carving those details in to deep! You've almost made a breach!" Babalu screams back, "Dammit Squid, I know I can mold these features. I just know I can!" Squid yells again, "It will never break from the mold like that..." Babalu says:"It'll break dammit, I know it will!" And they just on and on like that all day for like five days straight...

Burning the candles at all ends, Babalu talks on the phone, listens to Squid, and make mugs at the same time:

Here's more progress on the mug from a different angle:

You can tell that the final piece was quite different from where it was at this point in development

After Squid left, things quieted down a bit. Babalu got back to work right away on a few new pieces. A few preview action shots will now follow of his projects for those of you who are interested in the creative processes of mug making and ceramics
babalu doesn't have time to post right now because he took on a very enterprising task. He wanted the lizard scales to actually show on the drum heads so he had to develop a method to make them look realistic. Here is how he finally overcame the hurdles of realism by using an atypical method of production:

After using that special process, he applies each scale on one at a time and uses scoring and slip to hold each one in place.

It's time consuming, but the results are worth the effort, as you can see in the preceeding picture

When I was over there yesterday, he had started another one off hand carved and detailed drum mug

He's pretty much freehanding this one:

Reference in the background for inspiration

Close up

He's hoping to have this one finished later today.

And for the sake of entertainment, here's some step by steps of my junk, for the fans of step by step pictures:

My clay approach is the same as my wood carving method: Start with too much material and take off all you don't want or need. I start with a slab, cut the outline, and mark out my high and low points.

In that picture above, I have drawn out my rough reference lines and have the right angle cuts made in it

I go marcus Thorn style and work from the feet up:

body done, now on to the head

More or less roughed out at this point. Next step is to cut it into small pieces and slap it on the background slab. I cut it into pieces to lessen the chances of air bubbles in it

Here's the slab rolled out awaiting the tiki

Here they are after I stuck them on:

I moved the holes to hang it to the bottom of the recess so that the hook you have in the wall will sit in the recess and the plaque will sit flush with the wall.

that's it for now. Tune in soon to see more from the Center of the Universe
Your "Guest Host"
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 2:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks Buzzy for the extemporaneous pics of Squid and Babalu in action, but more than the pics, your written account of the moment like a Star Trek flashback. I get it somehow.

Oh yeah, I'm liken your "mud" project (clay joes) too!

Maybe someday I'll come down and hang with you guys (or better yet, you guys come up to my art/chop in January )

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-04 6:26 pm   Permalink

I didn't notice any pictures of Squid "working"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 5:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone!

And thank you Buzzy for posting action shots! That snake skin on that one shot looks like crap though It's been grand having you hang out brother Buzz!

Well, Sir B payed a visit today to work on a secret project that is going to blow you all away....stay tuned.

I finished the sculpting part on another custom Squidalu Drum mug...

...glazing soon

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 12:21 pm   Permalink

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGitty DANG DANG!

Each scale separately?
that's Sai Baba for ya!
Lovingly Hand-Crafted
Can't wait to see it glazed!

With Squids,Buzzy,and Bowie at the ClayBoy mansion
it will be just a very short time
til glazed Treasures start surfacing!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-08 2:33 pm   Permalink

When I first started slingin' clay, my mantra was "I wanna be like Rick". Unfortunately, there is NO WAY IN HELL that I'll ever catch up

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 5:58 pm   Permalink

Here's today's update from over at Babalu's:

When I got there today, Babalu had the kiln half loaded with newly glazed goodies. He was waiting for me to finish glazing plaques #2 and #3, and himself to finish glazing the two Squidalus before he fires it all. Mine were one color and I knocked them out in no time. Babalu, as always took upon himself to do a rather ambitious glazing for his work.

Here we see Babalu as he labored on for the better part of the day, finding the just so right color combination of glazes. He applies some color here that will look quite different after it's fired:

Sneak peek:

Tomorrow, it will be so different that you will not even recognize it

Thinkin' is hard work sometimes. Here's Babalu workin' hard for some time on thinkin' about what color will fill up all the blank spots he has left on the mug:

Soon as he finishes, he'll throw it in that wide open kiln behind him and fire it up. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I still had some creative energy left in me after I glazed the plaques, so I wanted to do a quick for fun project. I figured that since I had just made the same tiki three times in a row on those plaques, I could probably make another one pretty fast. Instead of the plaque configuration, I decided to make a mug out of a smaller version. Here's some process shots

Mug blank waiting for a tiki in foreground, me working on the tiki in the background:

"Action" shot:

Here's the tiki and mug, right before they were to be united for what will be an eternity:

Here it is, all stuck on now:

I have to let it dry a little before I can work it further. Good thing there's another day coming up tomorrow, providing me the opportunity to work on it.

And tomorrow, a load comes out of the kiln...
Speaking of out,
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 2:36 pm   Permalink

here's another cool photo i found.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 5:53 pm   Permalink

YAY!

Thanks for posting all this stuff Buzz Master! Your ClayCo Joes guys came out mighty purdy...we may have to do a smidgen of touch up on a couple of them, but they look fantastic!

Kinny, sorry i missed your call...Dude, I can't wait to see your part of our little colab we are doing together. You rock the hardest!

Mad Doggie, don't underestimate yourself brother...you have come further than anyone this last year...keep slinging that clay!...slip runs in your veins!

Perry, thanks for the drum image...Man, I've been collecting tons of drum images to play with...just wait

Alrighty then...these two Squidalu Drum mugs (no 1 and no 2) are done. I'm getting happier with the glaze choices on my drum mugs lately. I'm going to stick these two up on eBay tonight...

Well, I'm off for 4 days to Colorado to celebrate my daughters graduation from college...the kid has worked very hard! Hey, its FREEZING in Colorado right now, I'm going to have go to the thrifty tonight and pick up some warm digs!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 6:56 pm   Permalink

Gorgeous glaze choices, Rick!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 6:58 pm   Permalink

Holy mother of pearl... Those are the coolest!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-09 7:51 pm   Permalink

Holy cow, those are some mighty fine mugs and Coco Joe's rip offs! What fab color combos!

Thanks for firing the secret projects, Baba O'Riley. Guess I'll come get them when you are back from the frozen wasteland.
Be sure to bring extra socks! Bahaha!

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 8:17 pm   Permalink

I am drooling!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-10 10:27 am   Permalink

Holy mackerel!!

GORGEOUS!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baļ
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-12 10:15 am   Permalink

Babaluuuuuuuu! this is soooo MAAAGNIFIIIIQUE!!!! i'm your fan!!!!!!

View Profile of Tiki Baļ Send a personal message to Tiki Baļ  Goto the website of Tiki Baļ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation