FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-17 12:41 pm   Permalink

Nice! Its nice to see how LLT is using that new-fangled paint brush. Can you elaborate...

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-17 8:28 pm   Permalink

Nice shots of Babs, GROG.
Rick, you banged that one out really fast! Looking forward to seeing the progress on that bad girl!

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-18 2:37 pm   Permalink

I haven't checked out this thread in a while. That volcano bowl is fantastic!

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-18 5:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-17 12:41, AlohaStation wrote:
Nice! Its nice to see how LLT is using that new-fangled paint brush. Can you elaborate...

i can't believe nobody else caught that!
It's a special MAGICAL paintbrush...
it works on your brain instead of canvas!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-18 5:48 pm   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-22 12:18 pm   Permalink

Wow! Thanks for all the feadback folks!

Kinny - We will have to plan another Art Jam soon! It's really cool to be around like minded people and having fun. PS: I'm trying to figure out the Facebook thingy...I'll get it.

MadDoggie & Wendy - Thanks you two....you both should grab some clay and give this one type of hand building I'm demoing a try, you may like it?

tikiedge - wow, thank you for the really kind words! It really has been a hoot here in the studio over the past several years. There has been many very talent folks show up to play. We have all learned from each other, and have formed some really wonderful bonds. These are the good old days!

SIR GROG - Thank you brother for posting all those demo shots Babalu really needs to get back on the treadmill...too much driveway standing.

Aloha - You name it, Kinny can paint with it.

SIR B - Why thank you boss! Very kinds words from the "King" of figurative work. Come over, let's play in the shop soon!

Johnnie - Thanks for stopping in. I really hope your still playing with clay out there. I really like your work. It's wonderful to see someone out there throwing, altering, and firing to cone 10.

G - always good to have you bounce onto brother!

Well, on to the SeaHare / MerBunny...I had to wait til this weekend to put her back together. This has kind of turned into a hand-building demo of sorts. And I would remind you all that this is just one way of doing a hand built sculpture in clay. It's a way that I have become comfortable with over time.

I also might have mentioned this before somewhere back, but before I close my sculptures back up completely to where the inside will never be seen again (unless you break it open) I always write a little personal prayer, or saying...or something in there. I have had so many things done like this come and go out of my studio that there is no way I remember what I wrote in all of these things. It's just a little way of making a connection to the work before I let it go...kind of like putting a note in a bottle and tossing it into the tide.

All put back together and detailed. I will dry this a little slower...I will fire it a little slower too.

More after the glaze firing.

Thanks again for visiting the thread -

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-22 6:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-22 12:18, Babalu wrote:
I also might have mentioned this before somewhere back, but before I close my sculptures back up completely to where the inside will never be seen again (unless you break it open) I always write a little personal prayer, or saying...or something in there. I have had so many things done like this come and go out of my studio that there is no way I remember what I wrote in all of these things. It's just a little way of making a connection to the work before I let it go...kind of like putting a note in a bottle and tossing it into the tide.

Rick, that's SO cool, I love it!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-22 7:10 pm   Permalink

Looks good Master Babs. So, now it's completely hollow. Is there an opening somewhere, or do you just fire it real slow. How do you keep it from blowing up in the kiln if there's air inside the sculpt?

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2011-05-22 19:11 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-22 9:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bill -

Good question GROG! This little bunny has a very small hole (aprox. 1/4" diameter) that goes through to the inside chamber, located up under her ears on the back side. If I didn't have this little hole there, the piece would crack somewhere as the clay dries and shrinks...way before I could even get it into the kiln for the first firing.

I really didn't put the construction part of this SeaHare down in great detail on this thread, so if anyone has any other construction questions, please feel free to ask. I'll try my best to answer.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baļ
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 01:25 am   Permalink

How cute and sexy
Can you just explain me what is your relation with rabbit? I'm curious Babalu still the masteeerrr... foreveeeeer....

View Profile of Tiki Baļ Send a personal message to Tiki Baļ  Goto the website of Tiki Baļ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-12 6:57 pm   Permalink

DAN RIDES HIS BIKE EVERY MORNING AND TELLS ME HOW MANY BUNNY'S HE SEES ON THE TRAIL. ALL I CAN PICTURE IS THIS BUNNY! WENDY

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-01 1:02 pm   Permalink

Hi all,

Sorry it has taken me so long to touch base. I've been busy making the man lot's of money. It's very apparent to me that I need to find more time for my studio...

Wendy, thanks kiddo...I get to check up on you every once in a while. It's great to see you movin' & groovin'. Hope your feeling better. Keep up the great work.

Hi Bai!! Glad to see you bounce on the thread lady. hummm...the rabbit Ooookay, if you insist....

Thinking back, I guess it all began back in the 80's when I first read
Watership Down by Richard Adams This reading happened right after I had brought this pet rabbit for my wife's birthday. The whole family loved this rabbit, but my wife especially loved "Bob" the rabbit like no other pet before. In the end Bob turned out to be a girl rabbit, but the name Bob stuck anyway. The day that Bob died was a very sad day. To this day, the connection that my family had with this creature continues to capture my thoughts.

Working with the rabbit image in my art has been a progression of mine over many years. I have experimented with the personification of the rabbit to explore the vulnerability of humanity. In Western culture the rabbit is a symbol for a number of different concepts: fertility (multiply like rabbits, pregnancy tests); magic (pull a rabbit out of your hat); trickery (What's up Doc? - Trix are for kids): the rabbit is symbolic for bottom of the food chain. At times, I have found it challenging to juxtapose the soft and fluffy bunny image with savagery. This juxtaposition creates an element of shock in the aesthetic that I like. The creative process for me is often a chaotic combination of old and new images; soft and hard; it can be a blending of different aesthetics and cultures.

I hope that explains the whole rabbit thing a little better.

I did just get back from spending a time in my home town - Boulder Colorado. It seems that for several years now, I end up going back during Thanksgiving / Christmas time when it's cold. It was nice to be back when everything was green and the waters were running high.

While back in Boulder, I gave my oldest daughter this SeaHare...she had wanted one. I wasn't as happy with this one, but she liked it. The coloring is just a little off for me. The body wasn't just right either...the next one, (if I ever get around to doing another one of these things) will be better. I'll spend a little more time with it.

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-01 1:55 pm   Permalink

It always amuses me how rough artists can be on themselves, me included. I think the SeaHare is awesome and I would have been proud to have it in my home. Great job!! Love seeing your creations. Hope the man will let you have more time in the studio.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-02 11:06 pm   Permalink

Were you born in the Year of the Rabbit, Babalu?

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-05 08:46 am   Permalink

I'm sorry but hairy breasteses are just WRONG!!!!

Always inspiring to see your work posted Rick.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation