FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 3:41 pm   Permalink

Hey, here's the Cobra's Fang drink, cribbed from another thread here on TC.

Don the Beachcomber's book says a Cobra's Fang is:

0.5 oz lime juice
0.5 oz Falernum
0.5 oz orange juice
0.25 oz Fassionola
0.5 Jamaica Dark rum
0.5 Lemon Hart Demerara 151 Rum
1 dash Angostura bitter
1 dash grenadine
1 dash selected herbs

The book suggests Myers's Original dark rum as a substitute for the Jamaica dark rum, I suggest Pat O'Brians Hurricane mix or a Passion fruit syrup/lime juice mixture as substitutes for Fassionola if you can not find it.

"Selected Herbs" is up for debate, as well as how you actually mix this sucker. Shake and serve with lots of ice? Float the 151 or not? Dash that stuff when?

Also, this Fang just ain't that big. It only adds up to a few oz's, seems like they left something or other out; the Fang mug seems LARGE. Is it all ice?...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-03 15:41, Cammo wrote:

Also, this Fang just ain't that big. It only adds up to a few oz's, seems like they left something or other out; the Fang mug seems LARGE. Is it all ice?...

Maybe the extra room is for the mouse??

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-03 4:53 pm   Permalink

Cammo, your "Smashed" mug reminds me of the movie "The World According to Garp". Robin Williams buys a house that a plane just crashed into, says it's "pre-disastered"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 04:25 am   Permalink

Zactly!

The problem with making these mugs is you hafta let'em get bone dry now, then kiln 'em, then paint 'em up with glaze, then finally bake 'em again.... if you don't have buckets of patience it drives ya nuts!

Its amazing what they take X-Rays of....

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 04:57 am   Permalink

some very very refreshing designs......absolutely way cool stuff guys....love the creative solutions for mugs you folks are coming up with...keep going!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 08:15 am   Permalink

Now this is some good shit....babs the rabbit bowl and cobra as just plain sick......really amazing stuff guys!!!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 8:14 pm   Permalink

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 06:43 am   Permalink

HA!! Sir B, your just tooo much! Thank you so much for the work you put into that brother! You just made my week! Come over and play soon...I miss you in the shop.

Hewey - Thank for the props Hewey...we've been having a blast lately. Pick up some clay! Give it a go...all that can happen is you might have a blast!

Clysdalle - Thanks man...we need to get you down here to play as well...I know it's quite the drive. We should have a big clay bash soon. If your breaking into that bag of clay already, and if there is anything I might be able to help you with, just give me a holler.

Cammo - How's mug #2 coming? Can't wait to see it! I love the way you think.

LOL - Yes, that's it...a mouse in a cocktail along with ice and stuff does take up quite a bit of room. Problem solved.

Mad Dog - Cammo's mug looks much better in person than it does in that picture. I can't wait to see what his glaze choices will be for it.

Tipsy - HEY TIPSY...Huge thanks for jumping in with the nice words...I know it keeps us all going

On with stuffs...

Buzzy jumped in on building parts for a much larger thing.

I threw this Paradise Bowl back up on the table last night...time to finish it

hummmm - does that one on the left look somewhat familiar?

Yes, Buzzy and I had fun making stuffs, but we had more fun just eating pie!

Well that's it for last night...lights out...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tornhalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 4:44 pm   Permalink

A. That bowl is much bigger than I thought, you can wash a baby in that thing.

B. pie has never done anyone harm.

View Profile of Tornhalo Send a personal message to Tornhalo  Goto the website of Tornhalo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-06 10:03 am   Permalink

Sir Babs, the Sorcerer of Ceramics!

Ah crap! Looks like I missed the pie eating contest!

I did some more work on The Aloha Sisters mug. I'll post some shots later.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-06 12:15 pm   Permalink

Babalu,
patience is a must man. I jumped the gun a bit on the drying of my 1st Asaro mud mask mug and see a little crack starting to form. Hopefully it will only be surface and I have not destroyed my 1st piece due to impatience. It is rather thick, so i should have kept it bagged for another week. Well, thats learning for you. Great to see progress on your stuff. That bowl is a big un, how long is that going to take to dry?

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-06 11:02 pm   Permalink

Tornhalo - Yup, you can bathe your baby in it, and then get hell of a drunk going on in it after that!

Sir B. - Can't wait! I'll bet you couldn't help it and put on beauty marks, pimples, and every darn thing on those island babes? Post soon brother...I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation!

Cass - I can't wait to see your mask! I don't know what type of clay you are using, but I've been using this white low fire (04) Laguna EM 347 with grog. It is certainly different than the stoneware I am use to using. I am finding that there are advantages and disadvantages to sculpting with this low fire clay. Advantage: it does not fire out as hot which reduces thermal shock. This has to be good for sculpture... Disadvantage: It's harder to work with and can be prone to crack easier in drying.

In my last load, I also noticed some surface cracking in some of the work. The cracks never went further than they did in dry out, and the glaze covered them nicely. I'm sure I will see the same in this next load as well...I know how you feel...cracks of any kind freak me out. Some cracks I will try to carve out, some not. As you may, or may not know...the Japanese would emphasize cracks that occurred in prize tea cups by filling them with silver. Nice thing about doing a mask is that it doesn't have to hold liquid

Drying out: The big key to drying out clay is not so much the time involved in drying as it is that you dry the work out evenly. When I'm working clay, I always double bag (trash bags) when I walk away from it for any length of time. To dry finished work out evenly, I wrap the work up tight, then everyday I will unwrap the work, turn the plastic bag inside out that it was wrapped in, and rewrap it. I might let it sit out for an hour or so before I rewrap. Moisture will come out of the clay as it is wrapped...turning the bag inside out, gets rid of the moisture evenly. When you are noticing that the bag no longer has moisture in it when you check...your clay is getting to a good point where you can leave the work in the plastic, but don't wrap it tight...leave it a little open so that some air can circulate in and out. After a few days of this you can just take the work out and leave it exposed to the air to finish drying all the way.

Ok, on with stuffs...today was kind of a "honey do" day, but I was able to get some work in...

I made a boat load of little glaze test trees...Boys, we will be firing off a test glaze kiln right after this next bisque firing, so start thinking about color you would like to test before the final glaze on your work.

Next, I put some time in on the bowlie here...I guess I'm trippin out on the tentacles a little more this time...seems the design is getting much busier that the last bowl...I'm liking it. Need to put a wrap on this one soon...Kelly wants to party!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-07 09:49 am   Permalink

Wow, Sir Babs! You are going nuts! Tentacles galore! That's quite a bowl! I'm sure we're going to make good use of those glaze trees too.

Here's The Aloha Sisters in their current state:

Still got some final clean up to do. There was a near disaster the other day when I tipped the piece up to work on the underside. The whole thing slid off the board and dumped onto my work table. Injuries suffered were a broken arm and and foot on the left hand girl. Nothing Dr. Bowana couldn't fix though. It's getting really dry, so lots of wetting is needed now.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-09-07 10:31 am   Permalink

Two semi-opposable thumbs up.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-07 4:02 pm   Permalink

The Bowl and Aloha Sisters have had a giant effect on my creativity-engine.

Watch out for Tawiri-Ma-Te, God of Storms....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation