FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-13 16:24, Liana wrote:
Love it Squid! You know we have a Polynesian food restaurant literally 2 mins drive from us and my favourite thing to eat there are the Pork buns.. This mug just makes me hungry

Oh and thanks for the encouragment guys! I'll be buying supplies today, and sorting out a kiln. Just wondering, what would be the best kind of clay to use for hand made one off's? I figured I'd do alot of hand made stuff to practice sculpture before I started slip casting

Liana.

Thanks, Liana! I'm pretty sure that Little Lost Tiki used "Pork Buns" as a stage name back in his dancing days. But that was a long, long, long time ago

I would ask Babaloooie about the clay specifics. Some are very sandy and hard to get detail in, and others fire at different temperatures.

Best of luck and please post photos!

Ltd Edition Mugs & MORE!

Ltd Editions by Squid & Gecko

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-13 5:22 pm   Permalink

Squid, love the pig! Ya gonna have a contest for the Luau Pig drink? I recommend starting with rum and a simple syrup made from Liquid Smoke. Garnished with a SlimJim

I was just looking at Hawaiian mythology a few days ago for mug inspiration and saw Kamapua'a, the pig god. Add tusks and bristles to your pig and you'd have "X-treme Luau Pig"!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 8:58 pm   Permalink

Entering into the Jimmy Dean period of your artistic career? "Polynesian Pork Lands on Planet Rooth"! Can't wait to see these pieces glazed (there's a pun in there somewhere) especially that bacon swizzle. Maybe you could mold and slip cast a few of these?

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 9:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-13 20:58, LOL Tiki wrote:
Entering into the Jimmy Dean period of your artistic career? "Polynesian Pork Lands on Planet Rooth"! Can't wait to see these pieces glazed (there's a pun in there somewhere) especially that bacon swizzle. Maybe you could mold and slip cast a few of these?

You read my mind. I'm already working on a model for a limited edition run of little porkers. I'm pretty sure they will have a honey glaze.

And MadDog, the Slim Jim garnish sounds de-lish! You could also have pork rind floaters! MMMMMMMMM.....

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Liana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-13 9:51 pm   Permalink

Haha, should have seen the look on my mums face when I showed her the pig and told her there are bacon swizzle sticks (she's a vegetarian) I'll be interested in one of these little porkers, not only because they are awesome.. but I can taunt her with it as well

Liana.

View Profile of Liana Send a personal message to Liana  Goto the website of Liana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-14 06:58 am   Permalink

Squid, the p-p-pig is looking p-p-positivly...p-p-positivly...p-p-alatable!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-14 09:28 am   Permalink

Soak fried bacon in a bottle of Bacardi (you don't want to use your good stuff!) for 4 weeks, strain out the bacon. Chill rum to congeal any stray fat and strain through a coffee filter.

2 oz Bacon Infused Rum
2 oz Pinapple Juice
1 oz Spicy V8
Shake gently and pour over ice in a "Luau Pig" mug
Top off with Club Soda

Garnish - skewer a Lil Smokie crossways on a paper umbrella then stick in the top of a SlimJim

Taste somewhat like a Pineapple/Canadian Bacon Pizza (as far as you know)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-14 4:42 pm   Permalink

Wow! Babalu...EVERYONE! this is so awesome!
It must've been great being in a room with so much creative energy bouncin' off of everyone!

Ever since I took my sculpting class I've been more inclined to continue sculpting but haven't had the time, until now!
I originally worked with sculpy and Sir Squiddy helped me out with the wiring of my project.
[wish I had my camera. I need to upload these pics to my myspace since my sculpt isn't tiki oriented ]
But it was so much fun once I started adding the sculpy and started to shape out the body.
Tho sculpy is a pain to work with because sometimes it'll either be way too hard to do enough detail...like...stale? does that make any sense?

I'm sure this has been asked/answered...But...
Can anyone suggest a brand of clay (maybe some other form of sculpy?) that's on the cheap side...that's a lot easier to sculpt with?
That's also strong enough that I don't need any wiring for the base?

Enough of my rambling tho -great work everyone!

Grog's WHIL makes me smile

cheers!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-14 5:38 pm   Permalink

OMG. amazing stuff kids.

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-14 6:42 pm   Permalink

Very Cool! And Creative All! What A Great Host!

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-14 7:33 pm   Permalink

Jeepers Creepers! This stuff is tooooooo fun!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-14 10:59 pm   Permalink

Sorry it took me so long to get back here...I've been pounded by the other job here for the last couple of days.

Dang...thank you all for bouncing in...these Clay Jams have really fun for all of us!

Squid - The penning on that Polynesian Porker is PERFECT!! I too, think you should tool up and do a small run on that feller, or one like him...Dude, I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation for the next crazy, wild, one off mug that you pull out of your hat. Keep um coming!

Liana - Huge welcome to TC! It's wonderful that your wanting to play in some clay. We have been using a low fire clay (cone 04) on this thread here, but there are many other types of clay bodies that fire out to much higher temps....This type of clay we are using might be a good place to start as most people you might find over there that can help you fire the work will most likely be low firing some of their kiln loads. There is a lot of information that you can find here on TC, but there is also just a "TON" of info on hand building ceramics all over the Internet....First thing to do though is just to hurry up and go out and buy a bag of clay and start playing with it, whether you have tools or not. Get your hands muddy...it feels GOOD!

Kinny - Just got off your thread....Man, you got's some major thought provoking stuffs going on up there in your space...The work is just sooo tight! Your Madonna and Child (that's what it looks like to me) is just killa! I'm not sure why Simon likes Buzzy so much either...he's just got this dog thang happenin'?

Mad Doggie - Are you going to NCECA in Phoenix this year? That's where it will all be happening...

Beezle Bug - Your on fire too! Keep up the GREAT work. You really have fun stuff happening.

See ya Saturday Sir B...I'll drive.

LOL - You should see that Squid guy in action...

Hey Ravs! You know, I've never played in that sculpt stuff...I watched Clysdalle play in it once. I've tried some other types of air dry clay and I've also tried that stuff that you bake in the oven for a little while...is that sculpy? Anyway, I never really liked the feel or smell of either of those. I think the best thing for you to do is either come down here to the studio, or go to a Chop and I will put some good clay in your hands

Master Toe - Your up brother! You need to get your crazy self down here...I might even be taking the Babalu traveling road show up to LLT's sometime soon...we'll see.

Hi ya Danni and GoGo! It would be super cool if you guys could come down and play sometime too. You two are so much fun to kick it with Danni, I have that little pendant you gave me hanging over my kiln.

Hey Brad...thanks for stopping in! I wished I could have made it down to Planet Rooth to see your paintings one last time before the show closed, but the gang wore me out Saturday. Man, your work made that little gallery shine like the Northern Star!

Well, back in the studio now...that is, if I can get my boss to leave me alone a little bit. I fired some 130 odd test trees last week, and I can still see where I want to test some more glaze combinations before I make my final color decisions on a few of the pieces I've done, but I do see a few others that I can get done now...If any of you have mugs to glaze...this week and next would be a good time.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Liana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-15 12:14 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info and welcome Babalu!

Oh I'm not scared of getting muddy, I have a photo of myself at a billabong when I was around 10 absolutely COVERED in it!.. I'm pretty sure clay has been calling me for some time now

Liana.

View Profile of Liana Send a personal message to Liana  Goto the website of Liana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-15 07:38 am   Permalink

I wanna try some more tests, too, but we should put those last ones on the computer before going into test #3...

And I might just cheat and buy some cheeso pre-baked bisque shapes (nobody does that here on TC, do they???) just for the glaze tests. It would be a much more exacting test.

Laytah, Babs! Keep the kiln warm! & Keep GROG away from the donuts!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-15 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-14 16:42, ravenne wrote:
I'm sure this has been asked/answered...But...
Can anyone suggest a brand of clay (maybe some other form of sculpy?) that's on the cheap side...that's a lot easier to sculpt with?
That's also strong enough that I don't need any wiring for the base?

Oh girl, if only! My life would be complete if such a thing existed! Sculpey is indeed a great pain to work with. It's too soft and won't stay put! Have you tried Fimo? It's another Sculpey type of clay but a bit more firm. It still needs to be built over a wire armature though, no getting around that. Another trick you can try is to bake your sculpture in stages, and keep adding to it. You can carve on it too after it's been baked. I made this figure of Red Cloud several years ago from Sculpey and lost count of how many times I had to bake it.

By the sculpting, baking, carving, sculpting, baking carving method you can get an incredible amount of detail. This figure is less than 5" tall. I don't use Sculpey or Fimo any more. I've been using Magic Sculpt, which is a two part epoxy putty....but that's another story.

Good luck!

Bowana

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation