FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 11:09 am   Permalink

Buzz, I love the way you've just hit the ground running and are pumping out all this great ceramic Maoriware. Everything is sweet, but I'm particularly liking those manaia/pekapeka forms, the curves really work beautifully in clay. I will send you some more source material you may like when I get a chance.
The other stuff is just amazing too. I would kill to be able to get together with a bunch of like-minded individuals like you guys and get my clay/wood groove on....I can't even find a pottery class at the local high school here!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 1:53 pm   Permalink

"I can't even find a pottery class at the local high school here!"

That sucks! MadMikster just went out and bought a small kiln, read the directions and started making killer stuff in like a few days. There's GOTTA be artists somewhere around you!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-14 2:50 pm   Permalink

MadMikester gets great support from the artists here on TC

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 6:25 pm   Permalink

Paipo, I sure wish you were here right now...tomorrows going to be a fun day at the Chop...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30308&forum=17&start=0&56

If anybody wants to come over and play in clay...tomorrows the day.

Got some good stuff out of the kiln...will post laters..

YAY!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-15 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If anybody wants to come over and play in clay...tomorrows the day.

...runs out to buy airplane ticket...

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 11:48 am   Permalink

Henrick, I sure wished you would have been here, we had a ton of fun at the Chop yesterday. Here is some of the work that came to life...not all of it is complete yet, but WOW, you can see where this is all going.

From left to right...

Big Toe, Cannibal Sam, Richard, The Jab

Tobonga, Pops, Ravs, Leah

Also, I fired a few mugs...I'll post this Drum Mug one first. I'm really happy with this one. It feels GREAT in the hand. I thought for weeks about how I was going to glaze this guy, and in the end, I choose this thick, rich rust color...it's nice and juicy. The picture really don't show that well enough. This glaze choice gave it a nice old timey look that I was hoping for...Not only that, prior to glazing it, all I could think about is how I wanted to play with a few garnishes on this mug. There is already a lot of line work happening in the mug, I did not want the coloring of the mug to over power the function of the mug. In other words, I wanted the mug, to look good with a drink in it and garnish on top. I wanted to see all of these elements work together instead of against each other.
The garnishes shown are just the first two I have played with on it...

I stilt fired this guy so it is glazed everywhere...no clay body showing through on the bottom of the mug.

I think I need to make some "one off" custom stir sticks for mugs...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 12:18 pm   Permalink

Nice work Babs! needs a little work on the lighting, but the garnish work, as per the your other thread under drinks, is great. I love making custom swizzles for photo sets, i often take one of those accoutrements cheapies form the 6 packs and either build directly on it with epoxy putty or make a piece to be glued on and blended off with sculpy. Would love to see what you do with some swizzle.
p.s. looked at the photos again and it is really quite great that you used the orange peel to match some of the swirling design on the drum. Just great

Mad Dog brought up a good point below, epoxies and sculpy are not food safe, i make those for photo set ups and hobby only. Some food safe alternatives for swizzles i have seen are glass and coconut wood, been given a set of both.

[ This Message was edited by: OceaOtica 2008-11-16 15:00 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-16 2:20 pm   Permalink

Babalu, some great stuff came out of the Chop 'n Slop, looks like everyone had a great time. I saw your post in the Food & Drink forum, I like where you're going with the garnishes. I tried a ceramic garnish awhile back, but it's just not like the real thing. I was reading the Swizzle Stick thread a few days ago and wondering how you could make your own without a plastic injection molder. Ceramic doesn't seem like an appropriate material, Sculpty isn't food safe but OceaOtica may be on to something with the plastic stick and Sculpty decoration.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 4:33 pm   Permalink

Babalu...oooooOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Some lucky sufferin' bastard is gonna cherish this PNG gem!

Marvel at Babalu's Kundu Drum Mug!

Is it Christmas already?

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 5:24 pm   Permalink

Marvel at Babalu's Kundu Drum Mug!

Is it Christmas already?

my birthday is coming up if anyone was wondering what to get me

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 9:12 pm   Permalink

Why thank you for your support Mr. Blacksandz...it's your turn to try a few garnishes out on that guy...Merry Christmas brother!

This guy turned out purdy good after the 2nd firing...I'll have to wait for some better light to get some good shots of him. It gets so bloody dark, so quick these days...

This here bowlie is up next on the ole glaze roster...

Some hand made - One Off - Swizzle Sticks coming soon...

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 10:23 pm   Permalink

Babs, that bowl is lookin amazing!

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 11:08 pm   Permalink

Yo Babalu! Thanks for the clay...
Here's what I did with some of it tonight:

My original plan was to make another thin tiki and slap it on the side of a mug. I started by making the tiki. I didn't mold this one, but rather did a combination of smaller scale relief carving and I guess what you would call "sculpting."
Here it is in the very early stages of the shaping process:

It's probably less than half an inch thick.

Here it is after most of the initial shaping is completed:

He's close to 5" tall

Next I tried to make the mug Babalu slab style but the reused clay I was trying to use and my clay working facilities would not produce the results I required. So, instead of waiting until tomorrow when Babalu could bail me out, I cut it into three pieces and slapped them on a cocojoesque lava looking plaque:

A hole in the top of the piece would make it a 9" chest plate pendant.
For now, I just need to let it turn from mud feeling to leather feeling to clean up some of those fine details and rough surfaces and then hollow out the back

I think it definitely needs to be a big old pendant.
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-18 2:25 pm   Permalink

Nice lookin' Lapatiki bowl interior!

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-18 4:47 pm   Permalink

Way cool thread...

Nice mugarama with Babalu and friends, the drum and Cobra's fang turned out killer!

The tiki/lava plaque is really KEEN BPB! Love those lava plaques.

S
T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-11-19 07:20 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation