FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
Clay Jams - Cannibal Bunnies - Mojave Mug 2012 - pg. 85
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-20 1:50 pm   Permalink

Well, I think that's pretty awesome sculpting, Babs, especially considering you're working with SLIP and not actual sculpting clay. It's like making fine china out of flour and water.

Don't drop that one!

Red, orange, yellow, green and blue!

And Kate drinking Kava from a Man O' War is maybe the classic Chop photo of 2007.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-20 2:29 pm   Permalink

Hey Cammo,

Thanks, but no bro, this isn't slip I used; I used low fire clay for the additions. I think he will glaze up nicely if he makes it through the drying ok. Still some more detail to go on him.

Clarita, if your out there? This is an example of what one would want to dry slowly...those feathers are much thinner than the rest of the head and will want to dry first...the trick is to not let them do that. Trying to mold this guy would not be possible for me...plus, hand building is more fun.

He kind of reminds me a little of that rooster bowl from the past (with a little more funk added :-) )...I would like to glaze him something along those lines.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-20 2:53 pm   Permalink

The Bird's about two more sculpts away from turning into a bunny.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-22 12:34 am   Permalink

Nice work, interesting chimera, almost an asian phoenix head on a squid/jelly body...

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-22 03:20 am   Permalink

HiPhipaHulA!! That Bird is fantastic! I love my new Cardinal Bird#2! A Million Mahalo's! Happy Thanksgiving All!!!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-22 08:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-20 14:53, Tiki-Kate wrote:
The Bird's about two more sculpts away from turning into a bunny.

Lol!

The new flavors are looking yummy!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-19 3:14 pm   Permalink

Hoo-Haa! Yowza-yowza-yowza!! I'm waaay behind in posting this photo, but Babs is Da 'Kane of Kindness an sent me this bitch'n Man O'War awhile'z back and I just wanted to drop a photo to shout out a BIG MAHALO'Z braddah B'!!!

(Babalu kinda lets me believe I'm the "bat boy" for the San Diego Chop-Chop KavaKavaKrewe... )

Shoootz!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-19 3:50 pm   Permalink

I still say this is the most dangerous looking tiki mug of all time. The fact that it has a tight-fitting removable top is CRA-ZEE. Whatever you put in it, it tastes better when you're sipping from the back of a jellyfish head!

It looks like the bar mug from "The Undersea Grotto and Grill", now defunct, from Las Vegas, c. 1959!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-30 9:40 pm   Permalink

Well, It's been awhile since I posted anything in this thread...

I recently started this party bowl via a slab construction method (I don't throw). What you are seeing here is basically a canvas upon which I will attempt to build up on. Normally, this would not be a big deal, but this is cone 04, low fire clay that I am using here.
This stuff is really not kind to sculptural applications at all. It's hard to even roll a decent coil with this stuff, however, I need to match the cone 06 glazes that I did on the Hip Hip Birds (below), so low fire clay it is...It has been a series of strategic drying in areas and keeping moist in other areas (like the top ring) so the I can continue to build on it later. I kind of set myself up with these cantilevers on this shape I have chosen...this is a big bowl. So, Hip Lady, if I can pull this off I will be quite surprised...on to the detail work...time to build up.

These are the glazes I want to mimic on this Paradise Bowl...

Oh yeah, I also wanted to hand build a mug for the art swap that is happening over in the carving area right now. The rules were to make something with a New Zealand style to it...so, I mimicked something from one of my favorite New Zealand styles right now...Paipo's work...then, after I had done this, and stood back and looked at it..I was like, damn, I just copied a fresh idea from Paipo! The only thing I could think of to do besides squishing it was to send it to Paipo...so there ya go...Paipo has his first mug Paipo, if your out there, Bowana came over and gave me two packs of that really hard carving wax clay from China to include in the package too...It's that stuff I was telling you about. Sorry for smokin' your design like that dude.

So, I hand built these 2 mugs for the trade...(shity picture - sorry)

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2008-03-30 21:43 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-31 12:16 am   Permalink

Nice work good to see fresh ideas & great craftsmanship right on lol ...

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 12:26 am   Permalink

Really nice work! But I'm very curious about the "Tiki Chop at Fillmore West" poster! What's up with that?

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 02:39 am   Permalink

Hehe Jen, I think it shows someone "imbibing" from a Manowar - maybe a custom version
I'm still pretty flattered you broadened your definition of "NZ Tiki" to include my work, and would have been happy if you wanted to use it in the swap, but if it must come my way...so be it! There might be a few people in NZ with more mugs than me, but I bet none can come close to some of the incredible pieces I've been gifted through the generosity of TC members.
I'm very excited about the clay too - I know the harder Roma one someone recommended to me isn't available here and if it was would be ridiculously expensive. I am determined to make some baby steps in media other than stone this year!
Now please tell me how you build a perfectly circular and lenticular-shaped vessel without the use of a wheel?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 06:43 am   Permalink

Hey Babalu! That's a pretty fine slab construction on that bowl. Not an easy task to get it so perfect...especially with that cantilever....way to push it.. that takes some skills! I feel ya on that clay...it's unforgiving and short...but it sure does render nice colors!

Very cool mugs too!

Peace

Mudslinger

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 07:48 am   Permalink

Yeah, What she said. I Really love that bowl And the Paipo piece AND yhe Swap Mugs, Gotta have'em ALL!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 08:08 am   Permalink

Hey Hip Lady, Thanks for being patient with me on this project. I've had lot's in the works lately.

Jen - Cammo came over to my studio and shot a picture of me just as I was in the middle of altering a MOW mug for a burner friend of mine. He turned that shot into an event poster for last year Oasis. I had no idea what he was doing at the time. He couldn't give-um away at Oasis...he most likely still has a whole box of them left?

BenZ - Thanks for the drive by! It is always good to hear from one of my favorite artist friends!

Mudslinger - I knew if there was anyone that would know how crappy this clay is to work with on TC, it would be you. I love, love, love your swap piece!

Paipo - Well, the construction of these vessels is really not that big of a deal if you are using good clay to begin with. I have done many similar in the past. I am using found object to lay the slabs in to create the shapes. In this case old plastic lamp shades. I coat the plastic form with veggie oil which acts as a release agent...lay the slab in...smooth...then I let it dry a little and pop it out. I then join the pieces together.

This first group of pictures was the first attempt at this bowl. It eventually collapsed on me due to this nasty clay. Note how I started to decorate the outside first.

This second grouping shows the second attempt at Hip's bowl. Note how I have changed my strategy and started to decorate the inside first this time while bracing everything up. Cross your fingers. I still have a ways to go with this, and have plans to build up pretty high on that upper lip area. I included a shot of a past fountain I did using this method of construction. It's big, the top part of it was made using one of those snow rider saucers. It just fit into my kiln.

Heres the clay I'm sending to you Paipo...some Roma, and the hard Chinese stuff that Bowana gave me last week to give to you. You can use them in combination with each other.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation