FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Forbidden Island Summer Of Mug Phase Four: The Limited Edition FI/Munktiki Fugu For Two! 7/15/07
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Forbidden Island Summer Of Mug Phase Four: The Limited Edition FI/Munktiki Fugu For Two! 7/15/07
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 7:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha Martin,
Could you please post the "Usual FI Sidewalk Rules" here for the folks who weren't in the loop for the first couple of mug events?
Mahalo!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 7:52 pm   Permalink

Here's a pic of the rules that Martin posted for the Forbidden Island One Year Anniversary Party. Martin, if any rules have changed, let me know and I'll take this pic down.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 8:11 pm   Permalink

Mai Tai, I think it's 3:00pm this time. Other than that, those are the rules as I understand them, but I guess we should wait for the official word from Martiki.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 12:58 am   Permalink

Hmm, let's see. Simple scribbles on back of envelope:

Going to need what, about 40 day laborers? At what, $10/hour? That equals $400 per Fugu hour. Ok, maybe 3 hours? That makes it $1200 plus actual cost of Fugu. The capital outlay plus labor for the mugs gives me a Fugu cost basis of $90 per ($60 mug + $30 labor). Estimated selling price per Fugu, trying to be conservative here, maybe $145? Gross profi per mug, $55. Not bad, but I have to lower the fixed expenses to make it attractive from a purely fiscal standpoint.

Would I have time to bring in a few dozen workers from Sri Lanka? Maybe, but factor in transportation and lodging/meal...ok, meals. My per hour labor expenses would decrease greatly, but associated costs, not to mention immigration issues, make this option cost prohibitive. Sure, do a good deed for some Sri Lankans and it screws the margins. Oh, could I volunteer to take a class full of 3rd graders on a field trip to Alameda Sunday morning? Passive chaperoned, that sort of thing. Come on, I will still want to drink, a bit. Probably no good, that.

At risk high schoolers? Sort of a vocational seminar, careers in the liquor industry? That just might work. It would almost certainly open up the profit potential per Fugu. Not sure where I get the high schoolers, though. My GED class reunion was a few years ago, pretty much lost touch with everybody. Wish I still taught traffic school.

Wait! Is there a senior citizen assisted-living home anywhere near FI? Near as in close enough to push forty or so wheelchairs? Thank God Alameda is flat.

Mr. Bad Example,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 01:57 am   Permalink

Maybe with all that money you will get from cornering the Fugu mug market, you could buy a car. Or pay for bocce lessons.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-07-10 08:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-09 13:45, princessP wrote:

Looks like it will be another fun wait inline...

...for one of my slave boys! Bwaahhhaa!

-Patty

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-07-10 08:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-10 01:57, Mai Tai wrote:
Maybe with all that money you will get from cornering the Fugu mug market, you could buy a car. Or pay for bocce lessons.

What's the emoticon for "Oh, SNAP!"?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-07-10 08:31 am   Permalink

Ahem, to business:

Those rules are about the same. It is, as Jen mentioned, 3pm. I will hand out something to those in line to reserve a mug, but they aren't numbered. After everyone in line is taken care of, I'll open it up to multiple sales.

Buster
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-10 08:32 am   Permalink

[/quote]

Careful you don't muss those rhinestones...

no rhinestones this time around summer causal don't ya know

View Profile of Buster Send a personal message to Buster      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 08:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-10 08:32, Buster wrote:

[/quote]

So just paillets?

Buster
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-10 09:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-10 08:52, JenTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-10 08:32, Buster wrote:

So just paillets?
[/quote]

nope edges are to sharp to pass out on

View Profile of Buster Send a personal message to Buster      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RikiTikiTavi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-10 10:11 am   Permalink

So, um, at what time, exactly, does "dawn" occur? Sunrise, or earlier? I loathe lines beyond all things, but I will construct a small tiki monastery outside FI at the earliest hour and sit inside in a zen-like state all day to obtain this mug.

P.S.: Can we order from the bar while in line?

View Profile of RikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to RikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 2:55 pm   Permalink

Martiki, may I field this one?

We got it on good authority from an inside source, that APD equates standing/sitting/lounging around on the sidewalk when it's still dark as vagrancy, but they are much more lenient when the sun is out; hence it's been built into the rules that the line forms "after sunrise". Just for the record, sunrise on Sunday, July 15th will be officially at 5:59am, but please wait until it's more light than it is dark, okay kids?

To answer your second question: Where do you think we are, New Orleans?! No, you may not partake in an alcoholic beverage, no matter how tasty, whilst you wait outside. ...APD had a rule for that, too, I'm sure...

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-10 08:26, martiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-09 13:45, princessP wrote:

Looks like it will be another fun wait inline...

...for one of my slave boys! Bwaahhhaa!

-Patty

True dat.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 3:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-09 19:52, Mai Tai wrote:
Here's a pic of the rules that Martin posted for the Forbidden Island One Year Anniversary Party. Martin, if any rules have changed, let me know and I'll take this pic down.

:< :< :< :< :< :< :<
Nobody lines up before Dawn... Who the hell is Dawn ??????

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation