FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving NEW update from the carving dungeon! pg 4
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
NEW update from the carving dungeon! pg 4
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 11:29 am   Permalink

I thought it would be time that I would start my own carving thread. I will post pictures of other projects as soon as I remember to take pictures of them.

Heres me getting some free wood. Unfortunately my big ol pick up truck was at the shop so i had to manage the situation like this. No, just kiddin, i dont even have a license. This is my daily ride.
About the wood, I dont know the name of it. But Its fast growing according to my father who works a lot with trees so it should be soft to carve.

I am working on a larger Marquees log but i took a break with a fast moai.
Im calling it "The surprised Moai". But it looks a bit like a blow up doll.
Here it is at the shop.

I made it partly because of the burning techique i wanted to try for my bigger project. The plan was to burn it heavy and then brush it with a steel brush to get out some structure and grain

After brushing it, my friend holding it up. Later i stained it too dark, the plan is to mount it on a leopard plaque (witco-like) and ad a burned bamboo frame.
Cant say that Im satisfied with the result, but it came out ok with the tools that i had.

Ill add images of another project on Thursday.

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-12 09:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-20 14:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-08-20 11:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-10-17 13:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-11-09 11:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-11-15 07:31 ]

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 2:44 pm   Permalink

Hej da! Welcome Tikidreams.

Not a bad looking Witco, it will be good to see it all finished off. (maybe you could attach it to the front of your ride..?)

Cool tats-too!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 8:18 pm   Permalink

Looks like you got some of pavement on your arms ..Hope it washes off !!!

Heckofa Job on Moai !!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 03:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-08 14:44, Tamapoutini wrote:
Hej da! Welcome Tikidreams.

Not a bad looking Witco, it will be good to see it all finished off. (maybe you could attach it to the front of your ride..?)

Cool tats-too!

Tama

Hej d!?
Ill post it finished when i fell to the motivation to complete it.
My ride broke down on me. But Im working on a tiki themed beach cruiser.

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 06:24 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC, Tikidreams, Glad to have you. Good work for your first tiki, Love your Log Hauler, Bet it gets great gas mileage. Where are the log pictures? We need to see what you're doing with it?? Stay around awhile?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 06:40 am   Permalink

The Piece looks good, the proportions are good, and it's got a bit of personal style to it. The more of them you do, the more you see them in your sleep.

Thanks for posting

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 10:38 pm   Permalink

Benzart>> Thank you! I promise to post log pictures, and Ill stay longer. I have a lot of motivation for tiki projects right now. Yeah, great gas mileage but a bit short on trunk space. I actually couldnt ride it with the waggon on, it was to heavy. But it spared me the walking to the logs.

Gigantalope>> Thank you. Its been a bit thin with the tikidreams lately unfortunatly. I guess i just have to make more ot them.

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-10 22:41 ]

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 11:05 pm   Permalink

Very nice moai.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 09:33 am   Permalink

Merci Benjamin!

Here are some fresh pictures of my FIRST tiki. A work in progress. Ive been working forever with it it seems. Learning by mistakes. The wood is pine. Bug infested, spongy-rotten cracking pine. That was my first mistake. But i think the cracks will look OK once i stain and torch it.

This is my new best friend. 15 dollar angle grinder with a rasp disc.

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-12 09:34 ]

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 09:48 am   Permalink

OMG! That's freakin sweet for a first log dude!

Don't worry about cracks or bugs. They all blend in with the staining and become the character of your work!

Beautiful!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 11:19 pm   Permalink

Very good start, I love the marquesan style.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 08:03 am   Permalink

Thanks a lot Benella and Mctiki!
Tiki is very small in Sweden, so feedback from the TC community means a lot for me. Any comments are welcome.

Just found this pic from last year when i got the wood for the Tiki log

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 08:22 am   Permalink

Looking cool man! I like the punk band Kamikatze from Sweden. Ikea is pretty cool too! I like their hot dogs!

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 11:58 am   Permalink

I know what you mean when you say that tiki is small in Sweden because Tiki is very small in France too !
P.S: Love your tatoo.

Ben

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 4:50 pm   Permalink

Very good stuff for just a beginner, Very Nice. That is one Serious looking work bench you have there too. From the looks of it, its been around for quite awhile and with that high quality bench I imagine it has seen some pretty serious creations in its life time. You should sit down and have a Long talk with it as it could probably impart some Great knowledge to your hungry ears.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation