FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 2:22 pm   Permalink

Are we talkin' Monin Passion Fruit or Monin Passion Fruit, red?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:19 pm   Permalink

The Monin bottle I have is glass, 750 ml, and just says "Passion Fruit". The contents are pretty thick, and a golden color.

This was the only Passion Fruit syrup I could find here locally; I bought the TV passion fruit syrup on a mainland trip. I was making "Beachbum's Owns" for friends, and made sure to use the TV "good stuff" for them. When I finally got around to making one for myself, one taste and I thought "what the hells wrong with this drink?" The only difference was the passion fruit syrup I was using.

Maybe it was a matter of what I was used to, but I think the Monin makes better drinks.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 12:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-11 14:22, Haole'akamai wrote:
Are we talkin' Monin Passion Fruit or Monin Passion Fruit, red?

The standard one. I wasn't even aware that there also was a red one.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 10:13 am   Permalink

yeah, I saw on the Monin webiste you can get either.

I wonder if the only difference is the red color between the two?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 10:36 am   Permalink

To each his own, but personally I do not care for the Monin syrup at all. Maybe it's because I'm accustomed to the old Vic's formula, but I find the Monin to have a really weird overpowering taste that ruins a drink. I didn't think it tasted like passion fruit, but rather a really heady orange-flavored perfume. I bought two bottles a while back, ended up dumping most of one of them down the drain and the other one is collecting dust on my shelf. Lots of people love the stuff and it is all-natural, but be warned that it does not taste anything like the (old) Trader Vic's stuff. Just thought I'd throw that out there before somebody goes and orders a case without trying it first...

I'm definitely an advocate of the Aunty Lilikoi. And writing letters to TV corporate demanding they bring back the old formula.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 11:33 am   Permalink

I just have to say I'm really REALLY enjoying this thread. The differing opinions are really exciting and interesting.

I want to invite everyone over to Hinky Drinks at Lund Manor and have a Passion Fruit Syrup Taste-off!

jazzman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-12 1:53 pm   Permalink

One discussef in another thread that I like is Kukoi brand Passion Fruit except that it's turning solid after a few months in my fridge. The Kukoi Coconut syrup is by far the best one overall I've tried BTW, I like it even better than Coco Lopez and the Trader's. I've used Torani PF in the past and it's tasty but doesn't really have the true flavor of PF. I bought the Monin PF at Surfas while I was in LA last week (they also stock alot of Fee Bros inculding Falernum BTW). The Monin doesn't seem to have real PF in it either, it just says "Passion Fruit Flavor," although there's some thick stuff in the top of the bottle that looks like it could be derived from fruit. I haven't tried it yet but I'm happy with other Monin products, especially their pomegranate syrup.
-Sam

[ This Message was edited by: jazzman 2007-07-12 20:41 ]

View Profile of jazzman Send a personal message to jazzman  Email jazzman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-12 2:06 pm   Permalink

I have found that Beachbum Berry's recipe for Passion Fruit syrup (Pg. 173 "Sippin' Safari") produces a syrup that beats ANYTHING pre-made in a bottle . . . bar none! It's very simple to make and you can make it in small batches (so it doesn't go bad on you before you can use it up) and the ingredients are very easy to obtain at most stupidmarkets. I used the 14oz frozen package of Goya Passion Fruit Pulp and simple syrup in equal proportions - no heating or reducing and the results were a very fresh and natural tasting Passion Fruit Syrup.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 3:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-12 11:33, Haole'akamai wrote:
I want to invite everyone over to Hinky Drinks at Lund Manor and have a Passion Fruit Syrup Taste-off!

So are you covering the airfare?

Gentlehangman - I echo your remarks. I made some using Goya's frozen passion fruit pulp recently and it took me maybe 10 minutes of my time. And you don't have to mix a large batch either. Just pull off a hunk of the frozen passion fruit pulp, thaw it and mix it with equal parts simple syrup. Done. Of course, I won't do that every time, so I will still keep a bottle of commercial passion fruit syrup handy for when I'm time constrained.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tin_omen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-12 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-11 10:34, thejab wrote:
On 2007-07-10 19:23, tin_omen wrote:

Quote:

Yup. That's the stuff. Ingredient list from the bottle: Water, Passion Fruit Juice, Pectin.

Not sure if that would work in a recipe that calls for syrup, though it may work well in recipes that call for passion fruit juice. Passion fruit syrup should be thick and very sweet and concentrated in flavor. I'll make the switch from TV's to Monin for my Knockout Punch, but I wish Monin was easier to find locally. I have made my punch with Torani and it tastes fine but it's slightly different in taste than it was with the old TV syrup.

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2007-07-11 17:30 ]

Heh, clearly there's a variety of opinions in this thread. From our end, I like the Aunty Lilikoi's, been using it for awhile. We made some outstanding Spindrift's last night using it. :^D

As to the consistency, it's definitely a "syrup". It's much thicker than a "juice" like orange or pineapple... or the "stuff" that TV is passing off as "passion fruit syrup" these days. It's just not as thick as real maple syrup. Or, going to the far end of the spectrum, molasses. ;^P

View Profile of tin_omen Send a personal message to tin_omen  Goto the website of tin_omen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 8:03 pm   Permalink

How about Fee Bros passion fruit syrup. They have 3, one golden, one red, one green.I am assuming that the golden would be the closest to tv's old syrup. I still have almost a whole bottle of the glass tv left, and have yet to try the new plastic bottles. I have had fee bros orgeat and falernum and they are both awsome, has anyone had their passion?
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 10:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-15 20:03, The Ragin' Rarotongan wrote:
How about Fee Bros passion fruit syrup. They have 3, one golden, one red, one green.I am assuming that the golden would be the closest to tv's old syrup. I still have almost a whole bottle of the glass tv left, and have yet to try the new plastic bottles. I have had fee bros orgeat and falernum and they are both awsome, has anyone had their passion?

I would suggest you avoid it. There's no passion fruit juice in it at all, tastes really sweet and kind of chemically. It's probably closer to the plastic bottle TV syrup.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-03 1:47 pm   Permalink

I just bought a bottle of Finest Call at BevMo per Beachbum's recommendation and will try it in my Knockout Punch this weekend. I want the make the homemade syrup from Sippin' Safari but I can't find the frozen pulp and the Bum says it lasts for 3 days in the fridge, which makes it fine for a party but for everyday use I would just end up dumping most of it out.

Has anyone found the pulp in the Bay Area?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 2:29 pm   Permalink

I'll checkout bum's recipe, but thought I'd share my home recipe. Last time, it came out a touch syrupy, but I've remade it and... WOO.

Just reduce 1 pack of Ceres Passion Fruit Nectar until it's good and thick (but not burnt), measure, add an equal amount of organic cane sugar, and 2 oz. of Alize for preservation/flavor. Take that to a boil, and immediately turn to low. Let simmer for 30 minutes or so, then cool and put in a bottle, and refrigerate.

Basically, using the reduced nectar as the water for a simple syrup, with Alize for fun. It's nowhere near the bite of the Trader Vic's double-whammy, but the passion fruit flavor is pretty impossible to beat. Hmm, wonder if adding some citric acid would encourage some kick. Things to think about!

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-05 03:00 am   Permalink

So back to the first question,
Why did Vic's sell out on their own product.

Martiki's right, it LOOKS and taste like shit.
What's classic is, half of us wouldn't even have noticed if you didn't change the bottle.

Dumb Shits!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation