FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-07 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-11 03:36, urbanbeachcomber wrote:

These syrups are as close to the original or homemade recipes as you can buy in the commercial market and will be available in the next 30 days from:

http://www.808trading.com

I know startup companies are always more work than you expect, but I just noticed that it's been 90 days since your post and the web site isn't yet up. Any idea when it will be ready?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-12 4:54 pm   Permalink

Has anyone tried this passion fruit syrup from Local Harvest?

http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=6948

I was intrigued by the company's claim of 100% passion fruit juice.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mangrovemike

Posted: 2008-02-24 2:42 pm   Permalink

OK- I am pretty embarrassed. It has been more than 6 mos since I started this thread and all of this time I was without Passion Fruit syrup. What a gap in my bar tending repertoire. But after analyzing the posts, here are my rankings from everyone's input:

1. The best by far is making your own (I need to have the time and the will power to work hard)
2. Aunt Lilikoi: cannot find anyone that didn't’t like it
3. Monin is the next best, but some people don’t like
4. Finest call: mint or menthol flavor??
5. Teisseire, only one person who liked it 2nd best, but it is hard to find on line. Looks like it is from a French company…. Phuket foods. Too weird for me to order from
6. Torani’s: drink killer. Not a lot of fans
7. Fee Brothers: some fans
8. Kukoi brand: can’t find on the internet

After being frozen in fear of ruining more drinks like I did w/the much un-improved TV formula, I ordered the Aunt Lilikoi: very fruity, but also very sweet. I now have started going thru all of the recipes again and pleased to report every drink went down the hatch, not the drain like w/the TV brand. Thumbs up for me!

View Profile of mangrovemike Send a personal message to mangrovemike  Email mangrovemike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mangrovemike

Posted: 2008-02-24 2:42 pm   Permalink

OK- I am pretty embarrassed. It has been more than 6 mos since I started this thread and all of this time I was without Passion Fruit syrup. What a gap in my bar tending repertoire. But after analyzing the posts, here are my rankings from everyone's input:

1. The best by far is making your own (I need to have the time and the will power to work hard)
2. Aunt Lilikoi: cannot find anyone that didn't’t like it
3. Monin is the next best, but some people don’t like
4. Finest call: mint or menthol flavor??
5. Teisseire, only one person who liked it 2nd best, but it is hard to find on line. Looks like it is from a French company…. Phuket foods. Too weird for me to order from
6. Torani’s: drink killer. Not a lot of fans
7. Fee Brothers: some fans
8. Kukoi brand: can’t find on the internet

After being frozen in fear of ruining more drinks like I did w/the much un-improved TV formula, I ordered the Aunt Lilikoi: very fruity, but also very sweet. I now have started going thru all of the recipes again and pleased to report every drink went down the hatch, not the drain like w/the TV brand. Thumbs up for me!

View Profile of mangrovemike Send a personal message to mangrovemike  Email mangrovemike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-25 07:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-24 14:42, mangrovemike wrote:
After being frozen in fear of ruining more drinks like I did w/the much un-improved TV formula, I ordered the Aunt Lilikoi: very fruity, but also very sweet.

It's syrup. It's sweet.

And now I present to you from the anals of Gnomon history (if I had meant annals I would have said so)...

Gnomon's Family Secret from 1345 Revealed

This is a little known fact and one of the Gnomon’s family secrets that actually dates back much earlier than 1345 (which is a quarter to two yesterday afternoon EST military reckoning—I do way too much Gub’ment contracting for my own good).

Lots of us use passion fruit syrup in many of our drinks and dishes, or would like to if we could get ahold of any. I make my own on those rare occasions that I can find fresh passion fruit in this area and if I am willing to spring for $3 per fruit. So I prefer to rely on high-quality store-bought.

Aunty Lilikoi (aka Lori & Tony Cardenas) Passion Fruit Products, an award-winning passion fruit company on Kaua’i, is a mom-n-pop operation in Wimea that makes all sorts of great passion fruit stuff, not just syrup. As for the syrup, a 10½ oz bottle costs $5. The shipping and handling to the mainland, however, is $13. So if you order just one bottle, it comes to $22.

While that’s actually cheaper for me than homemade considering the price of the fresh fruits here; it’s not a very attractive proposition. The item is shipped via USPS Priority Mail in a flat rate box. You can get six 10½ oz bottles (label says 10 oz, but it's 10½) into one Priority Mail flat rate box. That's 6 x $5, or $30 for the syrup and with $13 S&H it comes to $43. That comes to a little more than $7 per 10½ oz bottle; which sure beats $22 per bottle for buying just one.

As it so happens—and here’s the secret—not in the catalog, but strictly by request, she will make up quarts of her syrup in Mason jars (labeled by hand in black marker on the lid). That’s the way I get mine (see photos). One quart is about the same as three 10½ oz bottles, but besides saving $3 there, you also get an indefinitely reusable quart Mason jar. For those who make lots of their own stuff, those jars come in handy.

Those go for $12 each and you can fit two in the $13 box ($8.95 postage, the rest handling). That’s $37, which comes to just over $6 per 10½ bottle equivalent.

Her shipping prices are posted on her website. She also ships internationally, but the shipping costs more, of course. Still it's probably worth it if you are aching for fantastic PF syrup and you order enough to fill a flat-rate Priority Mail box. Essentially, the flat rate box is $13 for US Zips, $25 for Mexico and Canada, and $40 everywhere else. The box holds 1 – 6 items or 2 quart jars.

It’s dangerous syrup. If you ever lick the bottle you’ll be tempted to shove a straw down into it and drink it dry. Resist the urge! It’ll keep you wired all night, albeit passionately.

Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Syrup in quart Mason jars.

Re-used 10½ bottle filled from a quart jar.

Check it out.

She also has Passion Fruit and Passion Fruit Wasabe products (dressing, mustard, teriyaki). I might even try the Passion Fruit Habanero Jelly.

Ooops! Thanks UtopianDreem for letting me know I misspelled 'lilikoi' in the link. Fixed now.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2008-02-25 10:39 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-25 10:08 am   Permalink

Nice post Gnomon, but that Aunty Lilikoi stuff is pretty darn expensive. Is it worth it? The Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree, which the Bum recommends in Sippin' Safari is $4 per 1 liter bottle. Four bottles with shipping runs you $26.95 total. That's about 20 cents per oz compared to about 57 cents per oz for the Aunty Lilikoi.

Now I've not had the Aunty Lilikoi, so I can't comment on it, but I assume it's good based on your experience. But I've had the old TV's forumla, the Finest Call, and I've made my own using Goya's frozen passion fruit pulp. The Goya's was the most passion fruity and best overall tasting (and probably the cheapest). I'd probably place the Finest Call second and the old Vic's third. If you ever get hold of the Finest Call brand, please do a comparison to the Aunty Lilikoi and let us know. It had better be next to a religious experience at that price!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-25 12:24 pm   Permalink

I, too, use Goyas PF pulp and most of their other pulps. It's not as good as fresh passion fruit, but close enough and not at all expensive.

I've invited Lori to join TC, so hopefully she'll find her way here and enlighten us all.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Xndr du Sauvage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-26 7:15 pm   Permalink

Anyone tried entner-stuart passion fruit syrup? They boast all natural ingredients, and basically its the only one I can find locally, but I've been pleased with it. $7.99 at The beverage gourmet

View Profile of Xndr du Sauvage Send a personal message to Xndr du Sauvage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-27 08:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-25 10:08, GatorRob wrote:
Nice post Gnomon, but that Aunty Lilikoi stuff is pretty darn expensive. Is it worth it? The Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree, which the Bum recommends in Sippin' Safari is $4 per 1 liter bottle. Four bottles with shipping runs you $26.95 total. That's about 20 cents per oz compared to about 57 cents per oz for the Aunty Lilikoi.

Now I've not had the Aunty Lilikoi, so I can't comment on it, but I assume it's good based on your experience. But I've had the old TV's forumla, the Finest Call, and I've made my own using Goya's frozen passion fruit pulp. The Goya's was the most passion fruity and best overall tasting (and probably the cheapest). I'd probably place the Finest Call second and the old Vic's third. If you ever get hold of the Finest Call brand, please do a comparison to the Aunty Lilikoi and let us know. It had better be next to a religious experience at that price!

Yes, it's worth it. It's that good.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mangrovemike

Posted: 2008-02-28 4:09 pm   Permalink

It is expensive, but have you figured out the cost of the rum investment??? I agree that is great. Thanks for the tip on the larger jar..... Later, I have to go lick the last drops from my jar of syrup....

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 05:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-25 12:24, The Gnomon wrote:
I, too, use Goyas PF pulp and most of their other pulps. It's not as good as fresh passion fruit, but close enough and not at all expensive.

So how does the Goya's syrup from frozen pulp compare to the Aunty Lilikoi syrup? Your comment about the Goya's being "close enough" to syrup made from fresh passion fruits leads me to think that the Goya's and the Lilikoi are also very close.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kent
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-29 06:49 am   Permalink

I just made up a batch from the Goya & it's really tasty in a Demerara Dry Float (from Intoxica) - but this brings up another question: How long will the syrup last before it starts to go bad? I added a few oz's of white rum (Bacardi does have it's uses) as a preservative & keep it in the fridge. Sippn' Safari says it will keep for a few days. Now I enjoy a tropical cocktail now & angain - but I don't think I can polish off the bottle THAT fast!

View Profile of Kahuna Kent Send a personal message to Kahuna Kent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-02-29 12:55 pm   Permalink

Goy's PF pulp is close enough to the fresh fruits I get to avoid paying $3 per fruit except on occasion. I do find it easier to extract the juice from the fresh fruits than from Goya pulp. But you get a lot more product from one package of Goya than you end up with from let's say 8 fruits and for a lot less money.

Aunty Lilikoi's PF syrup looks and tastes better than my own, but Lori's artistry with PF products is understanadbly far more advanced than mine. Plus, she has better equipment. Plus, she has PF grown on the garden island and cultivated to perfection. List goes on, I'm sure.

The fruits I get fresh are grown in Florida (originally Brazil); purple on the outside (aka Purple Passion Fruit) and yellow on the inside. Goya's pulp is yellow as well, so it comes from Purple PF. Aunty Lilikoi's fruits are yellow on the outside (aka Yellow PF) and pinkish on the inside, so her syrup comes out orange colored. Orange colored PF syrup I call "red" so that there is no confusion in thinking that there is orange flavor in the PF syrup. I'm not sure what the flavor differences are between the two varieties, but if its not the same its very similar. I've just never had one of each together at the same time.

One of the chores in making the syrup is getting the juice out of the pulp. It's OK to have some pulp in there for character, but just as with Orgeat, the more thoroughly the pulp can be strained, the clearer the final product and the more suitable for drinks (transparent drinks mainly). If you use it only in opaque drinks then removing the pulp is less important (and a healthy source of fiber )

Thanks to Scottes' nylon filter bags (the ones he located and introduced to us in an Orgeat thread), it makes this task easier. Cheesecloth tends to rip apart at the most inopportune times, The filter bags are really strong. As you might imagine, while it's sometimes fun doing this, it can get old fast. Spending $37 to buy a half gallon of Aunty Lilikoi's instead saves you a few hundred $$-worth of labor, time, and hassle.

One advantage to making your own is controlling the level of sweetness you like. I think Lori at AL, probably after years of experimenting, testing, and winning awards, got the ideal sweetness. The fruit itself is pretty tart.

If the AL syrup is too sweet for you, you can always tartify it a bit with some fresh or de-pulped PF juice. AL syrup is sweet enough to eliminate the need for RCS in drinks that call for both. If, for example, you want to make a Mai Tai with PF flavor, add AL PF syrup and don't use any RCS.

But if you're happy with making your stuff with pulp rather than juice, you can avoid lots of effort and/or expense.

Holy crap! I was just surfing the AL site to see if there was a good pic of a yellow PF cut in half showing its pinkish insides (couldn't find one), but I just noticed that she also sells unsweetened PF juice. Hmmmm! Same price as the syrup. That could come in handy.

I have no idea how long PF syrup lasts. I don't refrigerate mine, but it doesn't sit around forever. It always is still good by the time I finish off a bottle or jar.

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 2:07 pm   Permalink

My passion fruit syrup (from Goya) lasts weeks and weeks. I actually had the problem where the sugar started to separate as with honey. Just need to drink it faster, I guess but ordinarily, it lasts as long as I need it to.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Martiki-bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 2:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-29 14:07, pappythesailor wrote:
My passion fruit syrup (from Goya) lasts weeks and weeks. I actually had the problem where the sugar started to separate as with honey. Just need to drink it faster, I guess but ordinarily, it lasts as long as I need it to.

Hey Pappy, the crystal formation is caused by evaporation (yeah I know, "obvious"). The next time this happens, simply redissolve the sugar by reheating the syrup (adding a couple of teaspoons of water to the syrup if necessary). If it's really crystallized, simmer the whole syrup bottle in a stock pot filled with water up to the syrup level for 15 minutes, then let cool.

View Profile of Martiki-bird Send a personal message to Martiki-bird  Email Martiki-bird Goto the website of Martiki-bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation