FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 09:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-11 10:38, The Gnomon wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-09 08:54, Swanky wrote:
I now endorse Aunty Lilikoi's PFS. I ordered a few bottles and tried it last night. The taste is right. It's what we got used to with TV PFS. Two things: 1) Shake it before pouring 2) it is a bit stronger tasting than TV's, so you will want to dial back the amounts a bit to compensate.

Having an "off the shelf" source that has a consistant taste makes it a winner for me.

One real problem with it is the order form is not SSL. If that is a worry, call and order instead.

It's about time you finally tried their stuff. Lori Cardenas (aka Ms. Aunty Lilikoi....I guess Tony is Mr. Aunty Lilikoi) used to make up quart jars for me, which made it possible to ship more product for the same postage, but she doesn't do that any more because she can't ensure that they won't break in transit. The PFS is reasonably priced, but the shipping to the mainland is expensive.

I got 4 bottles for a total of $37 shipped to TN. Not bad. Better than using Toranis fo sho!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 10:21 am   Permalink

Anyone ever tried the Baron Passion fruit ? I bought a bottle today, it's 20% passion fruit, and really smells like the fruit.
It comes from St Lucia :
http://www.baronfoodsltd.com/passionconc.htm
And they have Grenadine too.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-30 1:21 pm   Permalink

And they have banana ketchup, too.

Quote:

On 2010-03-30 10:21, virani wrote:
Anyone ever tried the Baron Passion fruit ? I bought a bottle today, it's 20% passion fruit, and really smells like the fruit.
It comes from St Lucia : http://www.baronfoodsltd.com/passionconc.htm
And they have Grenadine too.

Did you get the concentrate or the sauce? 20% passion fruit doesn't sound like concentrate to me. Anyway, assuming that the concentrate has no sugar in it, it could be a possible improvement over using frozen pulp since, presumably, there wouldn't be any pulp.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 12:45 am   Permalink

they say concentrate, but really it's already a syrup. Lots of sugar in it.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 9:43 pm   Permalink

Anybody mentioned Torani yet?
They're out of San Francisco and are made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup. Really good syrups, if you haven't heard of them.
I can't find any Orgeat here in Denver that's not made with corn syrup, so I had to order some from Torani to have sent here. I have a bottle of their passion fruit syrup as well, and it tastes dandy fine in drinks that call for it.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-01 07:40 am   Permalink

Why, yes. Yes they have.

Page 1
Quote:

On 2007-07-09 16:12, mattesq wrote:
do not buy the torani syrup. i purchased both their orgeat and passion fruit syrups and they are drink killers.

Quote:

On 2007-07-09 16:26, velveteenlounge wrote:
I didn't think the Torani was disgusting or anything, but it doesn't taste like the kind made from real passion fruit.

I liked the TV orgeat better than the Torani, but I can't buy TV in the store and now, with the passion fruit being changed, I have less reason to order from TV, so it's probably either going to be Torani or, more likely, make my own.

Page 2
Quote:

On 2007-07-12 13:53, jazzman wrote:
One discussef in another thread that I like is Kukoi brand Passion Fruit except that it's turning solid after a few months in my fridge. The Kukoi Coconut syrup is by far the best one overall I've tried BTW, I like it even better than Coco Lopez and the Trader's. I've used Torani PF in the past and it's tasty but doesn't really have the true flavor of PF. I bought the Monin PF at Surfas while I was in LA last week (they also stock alot of Fee Bros inculding Falernum BTW). The Monin doesn't seem to have real PF in it either, it just says "Passion Fruit Flavor," although there's some thick stuff in the top of the bottle that looks like it could be derived from fruit. I haven't tried it yet but I'm happy with other Monin products, especially their pomegranate syrup.
-Sam

[ This Message was edited by: jazzman 2007-07-12 20:41 ]

Page 4
Quote:

On 2008-02-24 14:42, mangrovemike wrote:
OK- I am pretty embarrassed. It has been more than 6 mos since I started this thread and all of this time I was without Passion Fruit syrup. What a gap in my bar tending repertoire. But after analyzing the posts, here are my rankings from everyone's input:

1. The best by far is making your own (I need to have the time and the will power to work hard)
2. Aunt Lilikoi: cannot find anyone that didn'tít like it
3. Monin is the next best, but some people donít like
4. Finest call: mint or menthol flavor??
5. Teisseire, only one person who liked it 2nd best, but it is hard to find on line. Looks like it is from a French companyÖ. Phuket foods. Too weird for me to order from
6. Toraniís: drink killer. Not a lot of fans
7. Fee Brothers: some fans
8. Kukoi brand: canít find on the internet

After being frozen in fear of ruining more drinks like I did w/the much un-improved TV formula, I ordered the Aunt Lilikoi: very fruity, but also very sweet. I now have started going thru all of the recipes again and pleased to report every drink went down the hatch, not the drain like w/the TV brand. Thumbs up for me!

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-01 09:32 am   Permalink

I didn't see it on a quick scan of the last few pages... guess I'll be more thorough next time. Apologies.

I don't think Torani's a drink killer. My wife almost went to work for them so I happen to know that they use real extracts and cane sugar. It's actually a very well-made product, and seems to do just fine in my cocktails.

*shrugs*

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-04-01 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-01 09:32, CucamongaChango wrote:

I don't think Torani's a drink killer. My wife almost went to work for them so I happen to know that they use real extracts and cane sugar. It's actually a very well-made product, and seems to do just fine in my cocktails.

*shrugs*

If you like the Torani stick with it, but once you start trying the others you'll probably change your mind.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-01 10:24 am   Permalink

In the realm of the passion fruit, it certainly sounds like Aunt Lilikoi is the way to go. Haven't seen the Monin.
As far as the Orgeat goes, though, I'll definitely stick with Torani if I'm not making my own. Fees has corn syrup (blarf), and as far as I can find around here, the Monin only comes in "Almond". If they do make an actual Orgeat, I can't seem to find it.

toofastjim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-25 10:33 am   Permalink

I use the Monin (probably got before Ran's 6/09 post - not bad for off-the-shelf & much better than Torani. I prefer the Finest Call puree, however the disadvantage to that is you have to use it all in a couple of weeks after opening since it requires refrigeration.

I just ordered some Aunty Lilikoi - maybe new to the site, but they now have secure ordering (https url)

As far as Orgeat, I would recommend Fee Bros - since you can order that online and get Falernum at the same time; or, order it from TV and get some real grenadine, too.

I also easily ordered St Elizabeth allspice dram from
www.drunkupny.com

tfj

[ This Message was edited by: toofastjim 2010-04-25 10:50 ]

View Profile of toofastjim Send a personal message to toofastjim  Goto the website of toofastjim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-25 2:16 pm   Permalink

So, how does the Monin almond compare to an orgeat? I had the same question, as I have been making Mai Tais with their almond after running out of another brand orgeat.

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 5:05 pm   Permalink

For those of you who are using it, what is the shelf life of Aunty Lilikoi (either the PF syrup or the juice) once it's opened?

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 09:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-06 17:05, congawa wrote:
For those of you who are using it, what is the shelf life of Aunty Lilikoi (either the PF syrup or the juice) once it's opened?

Refridgerate after opening. Can't say for sure. The bottles are pretty small. I have no worries. Things keep far longer than most people think. I am about to the bottom of my second bottle and have not noticed any problem.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-06 17:05, congawa wrote:

i called them and asked, shelf life unopened is indefinetly - opened 1-2 years if kept refrigerated

i have similar prickly pear cactus syrup and that has kept just fine for 6+ months -- that makes a good margarita (bobby flay recipe but use half the syrup he asks for or it is too sweet)

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 4:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks. Do you think the juice would have a shorter refrigerated shelf life than the syrup, and are you getting your passion fruit juice from them as well or just the syrup (or is Ceres just as good for just the juice not syrup?).

I've had a bottle of Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree in the fridge for about a year or more, which seems to still be good (though I see on Finest Call's website they say good for 12 months refrigerated). It may be time to toss it just to be safe though.

Also, I notice in Remixed's glossary, BB Berry actually has two distinct separate entries for passion fruit syrup and passion fruit puree, which I take to mean they're not interchangeable; whereas in Sippin Safari I think he mentioned the Finest Call Puree as a substitute for the syrup (though I don't have the book handy and may have seen that elsewhere).

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation