FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 2:15 pm   Permalink

Buzzy and I will have logs available for first time carvers and old-timers as well. That's what we're doing in the pics that Zaya posted-getting the logs ready for the Tiki Village.
Most will be half-rounds but I think Buzz said he'd have a couple of full logs, too.

And TIKI VILLAGE IS FREE!!!(just make sure you bring us drinks and stuff!)

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 4:52 pm   Permalink

News Bulletin #53

Ace Hardware is sponsoring our event! Yikes! I fast-talked my way (shoulda had Billy Bee with me, that guy can schmooze like lightning) to the owner of San Diego's newest Ace store, and he's a great guy from South Africa who loves Tiki stuff. His very cute blond daughter runs the store, and she's all into it as well. That means we get our drop cloth and red duct tape for FREE! Which is always good.

The show poster is coming out soon, sponsored by ACE, the Folks Who Like to Help!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 5:22 pm   Permalink

Hey Cammo , What is the basic length and width of the logs so I can plan a design , how long do you need me to carve as I have a booth as well to tend by myself . Can I get the log Saturday to work on while I vend and then finish it Sunday with the chop or what is your plan ? I can bring my own if you want , Im just trying to plan my weekend and get it all done my friend . Oh and send a pic of the blonde daughter as I sent you info on my model . (only if shes over 18 yrs of course ) hahaha .

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 5:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-06 16:52, Cammo wrote:
News Bulletin #53

Ace Hardware is sponsoring our event! Yikes! I fast-talked my way (shoulda had Billy Bee with me, that guy can schmooze like lightning) to the owner of San Diego's newest Ace store, and he's a great guy from South Africa who loves Tiki stuff. His very cute blond daughter runs the store, and she's all into it as well. That means we get our drop cloth and red duct tape for FREE! Which is always good.

The show poster is coming out soon, sponsored by ACE, the Folks Who Like to Help!

True, I can talk the knickers off of a nun and would have gone for broke, man.......red duct tape, drop cloths, stains, lacquers, the blonde daughter, sandpaper, you name it, I would have gotten it ALL!!

VERY cool, Cammo!! Ace is the place with the helpful hardware.......chick!

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 8:58 pm   Permalink

Raymond -

There ain't no rules, bro. I'd bring a log you've already started, or at least drawn out. You can chop at our place anytime from Friday - Sunday. Log length? Start chopping and when it's finished, STOP!

Why not just bring over the one you're working on at your booth and chop at our place for a while, then take it back?

I'm planning on doing a small (2 foot) mask on a halfsy log, and keep it real simple. Will have it drawn out but not worked on until I get there. Plan to chop it, stain it and finish it in three days flat.

LETS GO! I HAD IT WITH THE BLABBERING! LETS CHOP!!!!!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 9:16 pm   Permalink

No power tool rules but now we can use Ace stain ? I never stain , just use heat for shading . Hey , did I just make a rule ????????

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 9:34 pm   Permalink

Bud, try stain. It works great. Why not???

Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 9:42 pm   Permalink

I'll be using stain.......either to shade my tikis, or to sniff on a rag!

TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 04:24 am   Permalink

I just havent , the real wood says enough for me .

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 06:17 am   Permalink

Ramone, Ramone, Ramone, if you're putting any kind of finish on the wood; spar, poly, laquer, shellac, it's changing the color of the wood. It is.

Now don't get me wrong, I love your tikis and the natural look you got going on there.

And I love that twisty guy you just posted! Holy trade winds, that one is freaky!

But - I've been getting these amazing results with using a dark stain, then sanding it down a bit after to show the wood grain even more, then finishing with a top coat. It really makes the woodgrain come out more, not less. And mixing two types of stain on a Tiki, using a paint thinner to keep the thing wet at all times so they blend, gives you amazing results.

That's what I'll do a demo on at the Chop. If you still hate it, fine, but don't sniff yer nose at it like some skinny French Cheese expert; Africans have been staining with fire soot for thousands of years!

TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 09:11 am   Permalink

Yeah , i didnt realize how snooty I was getting till I started reading these posts . I guess its rubbibg off on me .Ill just be quiet and carve . See you there .

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-07 09:55 am   Permalink

Bamboo Ben is stocking up. He's building his arsenal nicely.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 10:01 am   Permalink

Keep Bam Bam Ben away from my fish!!!!

Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 10:28 am   Permalink

I'm not understanding this whole burning our work business, Grog. Is your buddy sure he wants to upset 30+ people with razor sharp chisels and mallets?

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 11:18 am   Permalink

Actually, It sounds kind a fun Ben/Grog...Like an SD version of Burning Man. I'll bow and offer up some play time work to the Gods! Maybe it will bring me some needed luck? Will have to think of a face design that would look bitchen burning...he can't be a happy tiki. Anybody know any good fire dances?

Bring some charcoal fluid...my log's a little moist....no, wait a minute, that didn't sound right...my logs a little wet....ahhh, nope again...my carving palm wood material will needs to be dosed in combustible fluid before an attempt can be made to light up the night sky with it...Yeah, that's what I mean to say!

Shoot...I may have to push this into Sunday...sounds more like a party everyday :-)

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation