FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-06 14:05, Cammo wrote:
Josh baby,

YOU'RE IN!

Just come to the Oasis, head over to the Carving Village, and ask for Billy Bee. He'll set you up. We may (you'll have to check with Buzzy) have both logs for cheap (if you want one all to yourself) and some test chisels for you to use. Don't worry, I'm not kidding, come on down, everybody is invited, everybody's more than welcome.

I think we'll have a demo log that anybody can try carving on, and one for old hand pro's to carve a section of...

Awesome! I've got some crappy chisels of my own, so I'll bring those, but I'll be happy to try out a demo chisel or two. It never hurts to know what you're missing.
Some stuff came up that weekend so I think I'm only going to be able to get down for Sunday though. Still, a whole Sunday carving beats a whole weekend of sitting around on my butt!
Good times! I'll bring the ice chest and some rum!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 12:56 pm   Permalink

Everybody's been PMing me asking some really strange questions about the Chop, so here are the basic facts:

We'll be there Friday to Sunday, 10:00-5:00 every day at the Oasis.

There will be 25 carvers involved, many are regulars from our monthly Tiki Chops.

Anybody, and I mean anybody, who wants to try Tiki carving should come out and give it a go. We'll have demo logs set up to try carving on, as well as cheap palm logs you can buy, carve, and take home. We'll help you, and show ya the ropes.

Only the signed-on carvers get a Carving Village pendant; 33 now, including volunteers & assistants. We'll auction off some extra pendants, and I'll paint your name on them.

We'll have a Tiki Auction of really good stuff at 3:45 on Saturday (right after the Bum's talk) and 2:00 on Sunday (after Otto's talk). TCers should hit the Saturday one, there will be some specials going that day.

We'll also have stain and cans of Poly and Spar there to play with.

Carvers will be doing demos, but times are impossible to pin down, it's a very loose thing. We'll post times on the big board in the lobby if possible. We've generally decided to just chop Tikis all weekend, the whole thing is one big demo.

All the carvers will be using hand tools only, no power.

All the carvers will be coming and going constantly, checking out Oasis events too, so it'll be different every time you stop by.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-07 7:07 pm   Permalink

And don't forget to have a fire extinguisher on-hand should a drunken Bamboo Ben show up.
Quote:

On 2007-08-07 10:28, billybobaloo wrote:
I'm not understanding this whole burning our work business, Grog. Is your buddy sure he wants to upset 30+ people with razor sharp chisels and mallets?

You think that'll deter him? You don't know Bamboo Ben very well, do you?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 7:13 pm   Permalink

MY log was wet today,as well.......must be something going around! It was too wet to get any detail, but I got her roughed out so she can dry.

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2007-08-07 7:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-05 22:18, Otto wrote:

Free Munktiki mug to the man who can convince Boo to work (ie carve) during his vacation
(it has to be a real carving, not a few whacks at a log)

Otto, is this the Tiki Oasis mug, or a different Munktiki mug?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 9:24 pm   Permalink

Oh crap, GROG is on the case. If anybody can make Bam Bam do it he can...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2007-08-07 10:18 pm   Permalink

Nope, Mrs. Boo is the only one that can get Ben to do anything.

Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-07 19:07, GROG wrote:
And don't forget to have a fire extinguisher on-hand should a drunken Bamboo Ben show up.
Quote:

On 2007-08-07 10:28, billybobaloo wrote:
I'm not understanding this whole burning our work business, Grog. Is your buddy sure he wants to upset 30+ people with razor sharp chisels and mallets?

You think that'll deter him? You don't know Bamboo Ben very well, do you?

He likes fire WAY too much. Keep him away from the stains and glazes!

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 11:54 pm   Permalink

Just a reminder: SAFETY GOGGLES PEOPLE!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2007-08-08 08:22 am   Permalink

Do beer goggles count?

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 08:28 am   Permalink

Hey Man!

I go away for 2 weeks and come back to a bunch of Bamboo Ben Bashing.

WTF???!!!

I'm bummed out, man!

Screw this place.

I'm out of here!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2007-08-08 08:34 am   Permalink

No bashing-----just telling it like it is!

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 09:44 am   Permalink

Yer big pally-pal GROG started it.

We LIKE you.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 09:55 am   Permalink

now see what you did GROG, you made Ben sad, and he's gonna not be here anymore.

Doh indeed...

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 09:58 am   Permalink

I guess now would be a good time to bring up the logs for the Tiki Oasis Carving Village

Here are a few of the logs we cleaned and hauled this weekend that are now waiting to be turned into tikis real soon:

All these will be completely stripped and chisel ready for the event. There are also a few more I still need to defrond that you cannot see in this picture.

We will provide the following (logwise) at the Tiki Oasis Carving Village:
#1. Free carving logs to all carvers who have attended a chop event in the past.
#2. A couple large open group logs set up for anyone to carve on at the event.
#3. Several nominally priced cleaned logs for guests to purchase for their own carving needs, for use either at the event or for later in their carving careers.

This weekend, I'm planning on getting as much as cleaning and sizing of these logs done as possible. If you have a preference for the size of your log, let me know and we'll try to get it to your specifications. Otherwise, I'm just bringing a whole mess of whole and half logs and you all can pick out the one that calls you.

So, it would be helpful if anyone who needs a log for the event could let me know what size you think you might want, or any other special log order requests at this time.

Thank you very much,
Buzzy's Log House

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation