FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Saw these in Downtown Philly. Are they real?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Saw these in Downtown Philly. Are they real?
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 09:33 am   Permalink

It does have a Daga look to it. The biggest mystery is what it was? The top is carved out like a bowl. Was it an ashtray? a stand for some larger object? a drum missing its skin? I am trying to get the original auction receipts from them to see if they shed any light on things.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 12:06 pm   Permalink

I would say it was the holder for an ashtray. Trader Vic's used to have similar mid size Tikis (similar in size, not in form)

What a great haul! Considering the rarity of mid-century Tiki Temples in the Philly area, this is a find of a life time!

Quote:

On 2007-07-15 08:36, Tikinomad wrote:
Great score! The one Tiki carving reminds me of the Ren Clark Tiki mug.........

That's because the above Tiki is definitely a Milan Guanko carving! Guanko carved all the Tikis for Ren Clark's Polynesian Village. In fact this one looks so much like the Ren Clark logo Tiki (see Polynesian Village brochure BOT page 44), it could have come from there. But Guanko did repeat his motifs, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-15 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-14 21:04, Paipo wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-14 20:01, rugbymatt wrote:

What was the story with this fella who's in a couple of your pics? Looks a lot like a Bumatay....

That's a very nice assortment of tikis - thanks for sharing. Pics like these are grist for the creative mill.

Paip, You were reading my mind. When I saw those eyes, my eyes got just as big.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 1:27 pm   Permalink

I think Charlie wanted $1500 for that one.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 8:28 pm   Permalink

there is also a pair of salt and pepper shakers in black and white that are the same as that large tiki with the hat on....are those ren clark shakers too??

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 06:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-15 09:33, rugbymatt wrote:
It does have a Daga look to it. The biggest mystery is what it was? The top is carved out like a bowl. Was it an ashtray? a stand for some larger object? a drum missing its skin? I am trying to get the original auction receipts from them to see if they shed any light on things.

It's an ashtray. There are dozens of carvings like that at the Mai Kai. Drums, tikis, etc, that they put sand or gravel in as ashtrays.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ootwoods
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-16 3:28 pm   Permalink

Hey Matt.. I found your "ashtray"

Look down this page till you find the second postard from "Langerman's Luau"

http://www.arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/tags.cgi?tags=%22bar%20photo%22

top left corner.

View Profile of ootwoods Send a personal message to ootwoods      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 5:03 pm   Permalink

Aaaah! What an amazing place mat indeed! That door in the first photo is wild, could be from today...

Ootwoods, I thought only me and some hardcore cases here on TC would peruse old postcards with a looking glass for details! I fear there is no return for you now, my friend, it's the fever.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ootwoods
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-16 5:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-16 17:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Aaaah! What an amazing place mat indeed! That door in the first photo is wild, could be from today...

Ootwoods, I thought only me and some hardcore cases here on TC would peruse old postcards with a looking glass for details! I fear there is no return for you now, my friend, it's the fever.

Then let me suffer!

I just happened upon it. looking for photos of the place in Montreal, of all things.. and remembered reading the thread.

I'm relatively close to Philly (and could hit RugbyMatt's with a well thrown stone, probably) so I figured I'd point it out to him.

View Profile of ootwoods Send a personal message to ootwoods      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-16 7:28 pm   Permalink

Good for you Matt!
It's great to find a picture of these items where they may have sat.
The one you have could be the very one in that photo.
Was charlie a little more easy to work with than the woman?
How many are left?
Good catch Ootwoods!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-16 8:43 pm   Permalink

Good eye Ootwoods, mahalo for the link.

Tipsy, I saw the Ren Clark S&P's too but after dropping serious caish on the real tikis I just can see payng $120+ for the little guys.

senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 05:26 am   Permalink

Close relative on postcard from Tonga Lei - Malibu, CA.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 11:27 am   Permalink

Aaaah, very good! Here he is in the '80s Oceanic Arts catalog:

Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 1:04 pm   Permalink

Wow, Big Bro Tiki i'd love to have a look through the 80's OA catalog.
Great stuff!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 3:06 pm   Permalink

My wife saw those Tikis at that store in Philly two months ago. I had been wanting to get over there to check them out but just have not had the time. Plus I don't need to be tempted to spend the $$$ on them now. Very cool stuff though. Scott

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation