FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving MauiTiki's Attempt to carve a Tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
MauiTiki's Attempt to carve a Tiki
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 10:29 am   Permalink

Well, Bay Park Buzzy has gotten me all inspired to carve a Tiki. I don't have a stash of Palm Logs laying around, so I've been keeping any eye out to see if I could find a downed Palm tree somewhere. I don't have a chain saw so I'm not sure what good it would do me to find one.

The Tiki Gods must have been watching over me because on my latest trip to dispose of my yard waste (I have a Big Yard) at the "Green Waste" dump, there it was. A perfectly cut 3 foot section from a Mexican Fan Palm sitting at the bottom of the pile. I unloaded my load and when the attendant wasn't looking I threw it in the back of my truck.

I got home and read through another 20 pages of Buzzy's tips and tricks before I took a blade (box cutter) to the harry, messy thorny, log.

I made a huge pile of trash from the trimmings, got pretty scratched up, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

There are some cracks in my log, hopefully they won't cause a problem down the road.

Hmmmm.... What next? I guess I better get some Chisels.

What I learned? 1. Go to the green waste dump after you've skinned the trunk.
2. A coconut palm would have been easier (no trimming)
3. Start at the bottom and work your way up with a sharp box cutter.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 10:32 am   Permalink

OK, So I've ordered a brand new set of Chisels. "Buy it now" on eBay for $16, not bad. Neither of Maui's 2 hardware stores carry carving chisels.

Seems kind of cheap, but hey I'm not getting into the tiki carving profession and I may never find another log. Hopefully the will do the job.

Tiki Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Hawaiian Clip art www.islandimages.com

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2007-07-14 11:41 ]

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 11:27 am   Permalink

Good luck! I'm on my first one too. It's a blast!

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 11:37 am   Permalink

Go to it, Rob! Take lots of pictures for us.

When we were on Maui last November, they took down 2 palms at the condo complex we were staying. They made 20-25 perfect 2-3 foot segments so they could haul the trunks out easily. I was so wanting to find some carving tools and just have some fun at a tiki with those pieces they were hauling off. One day I will find a section up in this area and try to carve something too.

Good Luck!!
Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-12 11:58 am   Permalink

Good luck Rob, looking forward to seeing how ya come along in your ventures show us pics!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-13 09:42 am   Permalink

Bay Park Buzzy uses a planer to "skin" his logs. I checked the hardware store and the things cost well over $100, so I thought I'd try some 65 grit sand paper in my angle grinder.

It works great and fast. Good think I picked up a dust mask and some safety goggles. They are definitely needed for this stage of the carving.

I have sanded off the outer layer of soft bark down to where the wood is firmer. About an inch. I think I'll leave the backside with the bark on, as I don't plan on carving all the way around.

I think I am ready to come up with the design!

www.stuckonmaui.com

T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-13 10:22 am   Permalink

I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight Tools there, but they have a cheap planer for about $40., or if you like more physical removal, check Ebay for a Draw knife. I picked one up for $23.00 shipping included, about a 25-30 year old tool that slices through palm like butter! Saw the same style draw knife at Rockler for $75. but the old ones have more character.

The Birdman

Same as it ever was! (But what looms on the horizon, hmm?)

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 11:11 am   Permalink

Birdman, Thanks for the tip! I don't know if I'll do many more, so the little extra time it takes with the grinder is fine for me.

Everything seems to cost a little more over here, sometimes ebay is the best solution.

www.stuckonmaui.com

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 11:26 am   Permalink

WhoooHooo, My $16 chisel set has arrived!

Looks like I'll have a good variety of shapes and sizes to choose from.

I have been scanning through Tiki Magazine and have been getting ideas for my design. I have sketched in pencil a simple design to get me started...

More photos coming soon, wish me luck!

www.stuckonmaui.com

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 11:56 am   Permalink

A super design you're going to carve, so good luck

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 4:54 pm   Permalink

Good luck Maui, If it comes out half as good as the drawing it will really be great. Now get to work with those new chisels. Let us know how sharp they stay.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 11:36 am   Permalink

Carving Palm wood with Chisels was not really what I expected. I've watched the Tiki carvers around Maui carving our neat little slices (out of hard wood) with their chisels. When I try to carve, the wood splinters. I've had to start each carve by putting an end made with a flat Chisel so that my carve will stop where I want it to. I'm starting on an area where I know I'll go deep, So I can't really mess it up.

After playing around with several of the chisels (different sizes and shapes) I thought that my grinder worked so well at cleaning up the log, why not use it to get some of the shape started?

The grinder sure is faster. It seems to be burning along the edge. I need a new piece of sandpaper.

I'll need to use the chisels for the deeper, smaller places. You can see how the wood is splintering in this photo.

Do I need to dry the wood more? It appears it gets harder the deeper I go.

I'm learning...

www.stuckonmaui.com

tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-15 12:14 pm   Permalink

Putting an end cut with a straight chisel is the method Ive been using aswell, Its the way to go.
The carvers you have been watching probably have a lot sharper tools than you have. I imagine so considering what you payed for yours. So just chip of and grind.
Your doing good, keep up!

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 09:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-15 12:14, tikidreams wrote:
Putting an end cut with a straight chisel is the method Ive been using aswell, Its the way to go.
The carvers you have been watching probably have a lot sharper tools than you have. I imagine so considering what you payed for yours. So just chip of and grind.
Your doing good, keep up!

My chisels are brand new, wouldn't they be sharp? The seem really thick, are true professional chiseld thinner? They came with sharpening stones. I've sharpened one of them after I droped it. Seemed to work quite well.

www.stuckonmaui.com

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 10:08 am   Permalink

So there I was carving and grinding away when the neighbor lady stopped by to see what I was doing. Before I knew it she was back with her chainsaw.

The thing hadn't run in a few years and she said it may be dull. I thought it would be perfect for getting the line between the teeth cut deep. I could use it to make a couple cuts down where the legs will be too.

After getting it started, I found that it was very dull. I thought this palm wood would cut easily with a chain saw. It took some time to get the 3 cuts how I wanted them and the saw spit oil all over the tiki.

I was able to spend more time grinding and chiseling. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Using the chisels more and more as I get deeper into the design.

Any tips from you pros?

www.stuckonmaui.com

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation