FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving MauiTiki's Attempt to carve a Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
MauiTiki's Attempt to carve a Tiki
gordon58
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-17 12:41 pm   Permalink

Not a pro. Not a carver at all. But I do think you are getting the hang of it and it looks great!!!!!

View Profile of gordon58 Send a personal message to gordon58      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ootwoods
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-17 1:20 pm   Permalink

Unless you bought extremely high end chisels, they probably need to be sharpened "properly" before they will perform well.

Most things bought "for cheap" as it were, come with a finish that means some guy waved them across a high-speed grinding wheel to put a basic bevel on them.

That usually leaves a somewhat jagged (at the very small level) edge, which will not slice as cleanly as a finished edge.

you want to use a fairly fine whet stone or diamond hone to refine the edge (follow the bevel that is already there, until you get an extremely fine, bright, even edge) and then a strop or something to remove the wire edge that forms on the opposite side (which you can usually feel with the tip of your fingernail).

After that, they should cut really nicely. Occasionally, touch them up with an ultrafine stone or a strop (you can find nice power-strops out there.. basically a revolving soft leather wheel that you put rouge on) to keep them at top sharpness.

I learned that valuable lesson with wood-turning tools. They come "edged" but certainly not "sharp".

Even my Marples Blue-Chip Chisels required a finish honing when I got them home.

View Profile of ootwoods Send a personal message to ootwoods      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 1:53 pm   Permalink

It looks to me like you're doing great for your first tiki. Just keep going. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished..

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 10:23 am   Permalink

Using the grinder more to get the carves deeper, but still chiseling the smaller areas. I think I'm going to keep the back just the bark. I didn't plan far enough ahead to carve it full 360 degrees.

Working on the hands and legs...

I've got to get his nose some detail and get his feet started. More photos coming soon!

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 05:06 am   Permalink

Lookin Good MT, I LOVE how you (Properly) have the hands on the thighs. That looks so good. The rest is following along too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 05:12 am   Permalink

WOW, that looks awesome!!! Looking good man!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-20 11:46 am   Permalink

Thanks! I've gotten a little further along. I'll have more photos for you this weekend.

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 11:31 am   Permalink

Sorry for not keeping up with the photos, but I've finished my first (and second) Tiki.

Here are some photos...

The little one I did in about 15 minutes with just the grinder... Super soft palm wood.

Since I took these photos in the garage where the stain on the big one is still drying, I'm certain some of you'll be asking to see the car behind them.

This is my 1971 Camaro, I've had for the past 25 years.

I just got two more Mexican Fan Palm logs from my neighbor that are easily twice the size of my first one, so I'm looking forward to getting started on my next TIKI!

www.stuckonmaui.com

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 12:08 pm   Permalink

Wow, first tiki!? Good grief that rocks! You got really nice depth on that and finished it up really nice as well.

Oh yeah, nice car too... damn you.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderbob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-10 2:11 pm   Permalink

Wow !

If that's your first attempt I can't wait to see more. Keep it up !

View Profile of Traderbob Send a personal message to Traderbob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 5:16 pm   Permalink

Very Nice carve. crisp and clean lines nice job!
Now get some glue and put him on the hood
of the car:) That would turn some heads in the neighborhood.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 6:10 pm   Permalink

Nice tiki carvin'!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 6:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Seeksurf - The car turns enough heads with out a Tiki attached to the hood.

Aloha!

www.stuckonmaui.com

Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-10 8:07 pm   Permalink

Excellent Tiki, love it.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MBL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-18 10:09 am   Permalink

Dude!?!? Way COOL! I might do one like this.
Tim
MBL

View Profile of MBL Send a personal message to MBL  Email MBL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation