FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving MauiTiki's Attempt to carve a Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
MauiTiki's Attempt to carve a Tiki
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 2:09 pm   Permalink

I typically stick to "Tiki Marketplace" and "Collecting Tiki" threads, but I stumbled back to the carving threads and came across Bowana's Tikis. WOW! I have a couple Palm logs that have been outside drying for nearly 10 months. When I got them they weighed 100 lbs plus, now I can lift them easily.

With Bowana's permission I've taken on the first log and am going to use his design that inspired me to start carving again. The Log is so soft and light I'm going to only use power tools for this one. I made a couple big cuts with my electric chain saw, then have gone to my angle grinder. I'm using a small sander attachment for my drill and a dremmil tool as well for the detail and finish sanding.

Here is where I'm with the Tiki so far. I have about 6 hours into it at this point. It carves like butter with the power tools and sawdust goes flying everywhere! I'm finding that I should have studied Bowana's tiki better and spent more time on my drawing.

Getting the hands and body figured out...

I have the Tiki marked up for the next step....

You can see the the log has/had termites, so I may plug the holes with some wood filler before staining it. Any suggestions for wood filler and staining it with something to protect it from the elements and more bugs?

More photos to come soon.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 06:58 am   Permalink

Hey I know that guy!
I wish I had used power tools on mine, then maybe I could have gotten it done before another year passed!
Looking good, Mr. Maui!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 04:31 am   Permalink

Well MauiTki, for a "I'm not a tiki carver guy" you are doing Super with your first ones and learning many lessons it seems. Keep up the great stuff and you'll be a pro before you know it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sasquatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-19 03:53 am   Permalink

... inspirational! I've got some equally cheap chisels coming as an Xmas Gift!

... I'll be chuffed if mine are half as good as yours! Nice work.

View Profile of sasquatch Send a personal message to sasquatch  Email sasquatch Goto the website of sasquatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 07:13 am   Permalink

Benzart is right.....that's one impressive first carve. Lots of character & looks 'professional'. I'd have that in my home in a second. My first stab at it isn't half as nice. Good luck and have a great holiday.

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 11:15 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the comments...

JohnnyP gave me a tip that I thought I'd share...

"Since you live in the tropics you know better than us in the north on how to deal with bugs and termites, but put a little bug killer in each of those holes, then use the plain old Elmers wood filler (or any other kind of light colored filler). Take some of the sanding dust from this tiki and mix it to a really thick paste with the wood filler and press this mixture into those holes. Let it dry, then sand the surface smooth. I use a pencil or permanent marker to make matching grain marks in the filled spots before I finish stain the carving. I've found that the wood dust mixed in the woodfiller allows the stain to match, otherwise the wood filled spots really stand out."

I'm definitely going to pick-up some Wlmers wood filler and mix it with some sawdust to fill the holes. I'll post more photos tomorrow.

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 1:08 pm   Permalink

Another good tip for bugs is to put the wood in an enclosed space and set off a couple bug bombs. Then fill. I had an ant pile that did a pretty good job on some beetle larvae. It was kind of entertaining as well watching the grubs struggle as the ants carted them off for dinner!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 3:24 pm   Permalink

This is the product I use.

I like it because it's not pressurized and it doesn't leave any residue on the carving that may react with a stain.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 4:42 pm   Permalink

Looks like I'll be hitting the hardware store for some Raid and Elmers, while out Christmas shopping this weekend. Thanks for the tips!

www.stuckonmaui.com

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 8:41 pm   Permalink

Aloha Rob!
Some picts from a previous project...I had a roll of poly bag material from my old job and have finally used some after 9 years ...

Anti termite chamber

Fogger location

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 03:28 am   Permalink

Looks like a Sure fire Bug killer there Maui, can't wait to see that tiki all finished as it seems you've added quite a bit of inlays there.
Merry Christmas

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 11:19 pm   Permalink

OK, I "bombed" the Tiki (and my next log) in my downstairs bathroom. Then I filled all the holes and finished the carving. Now I got to stain it. Photos to come...

www.stuckonmaui.com

sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 5:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-21 23:19, MauiTiki wrote:
OK, I "bombed" the Tiki (and my next log) in my downstairs bathroom. Then I filled all the holes and finished the carving. Now I got to stain it. Photos to come...

Sounds funny when you don't read the previous replies. Not the type of "bomb" I was thinking.

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 7:21 pm   Permalink

OK I have more Photos...

here is what it looked like before I got started with the wood filler to fill the termite holes.

I bought some "Stainable" Elmers Wood Filler...

It works pretty good, although I think the tube I bought was old and kind of dried out. It was difficult to get out of the tube. here is the result...

I like the cracks, I think they give it character. I could fill them with the wood filler if I wanted. More photos in a few minutes.

www.stuckonmaui.com

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 7:26 pm   Permalink

I think I'm done carving. Here is the result. I never touched a chisel. It's all done with power tools. Next step will be to stain it. I'm thinking of using some wood hardener in the top and bottom to help protect it.

Here are the photos. They were taken early before the sun was high in the sky. I think the contrast would be better later in the day with more shadows showing the detail.

and rear view...

I'll post more after I stain it.

www.stuckonmaui.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation