FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Island at the Bali Hai November 2, 2007
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Tiki Island at the Bali Hai November 2, 2007
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 05:54 am   Permalink

Isnt Randy Bain the guy who moved to the islands to get away ? The rumor I heard is that his brother was the lead singer for the band Nirvana and he shot himself . Now that guys ex wife Courtney Love keeps hounding this guy Randy for money for court costs so he bailed to Hawaii to create art . Well, thats the rumor I heard .

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-16 23:40, JenTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-16 22:36, billybobaloo wrote:
There are quite a few amazing choppers, just in our group here in SD. Seems a shame, indeed to "narrow the field" at the expense of these other great local choppers being edged out by a guy who's tikis all look pretty similair. My wife even mentioned that when we ate at Mr Tiki. She said "You can sure tell the same guy did all of these tikis!"

Is it really necessary to put down one artist in an effort to promote a few others?
You can't really think that it's possible to put all the tiki artists in the world in one show, can you? Anyone who's any good will eventually get their time in the spotlight. At least a couple of the artists on the list for this show have never been in a Tiki Art Now show although they've been making tiki art for years! I don't hear them griping about it though. They know their time will come, as it will for any of the artists who make things people want to see.

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing the work of the fantastic artists featured in Tiki Magazine's show!

That was in no way an insult.

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 08:41 am   Permalink

Randy Bain wears the glasses...
Chongolio wears the cape...
It's pretty obvious...

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-17 2:49 pm   Permalink

Here's Tiki Farm's contribution to the show, shown below in wax & sculpted by long-time Tiki Farm collaborator Squid...

"The Goof" is patterned after the image found on "the original Christian's Hut" blue matchbook cover on page 133 of the Book of Tiki. This will be a limited edition production of somewhere between 100 to 200 each. We're not exactly sure of the quantity at this time as, although the event seems far away, we've still got to produce the master tooling & production tooling for the mug. We'll determine the final quantity a few weeks prior to the event and will make up the #'d coa's at that time.

[ This Message was edited by: MakeDaMug 2007-07-17 14:50 ]

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-17 3:33 pm   Permalink

Isn't Bosko kinda the "Shag" of Tiki Carvers in terms of popularity and profile ?
I love his stuff, whether it all "looks the same" or not. His stuff is very identifiable, it has it's own "bosko thing" that makes you know who it is right away. I like the minimalist approach to his stuff too.

It will be cool to meet him in person, if he's there.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-18 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-16 20:07, nicktiki wrote:
...There are a lot of talented artists in San Diego... There are artists not involved with the show that I absolutely love their stuff. My hope is this can be an annual event and extend Tiki events into November.

Nick this is such a cool thing you're doing not only for artists of this or future events. By throwing these shindigs on Shelter Island a host of landmarks stand to financially benefit.

I can think of a half dozen vintage hotels to stay at for folks from out of town. They can pack their pedal pushers and rent a bike or scooter instead of a car ... zip over to Trader Morts for in room supplies, soak up the sun poolside at the Half Moon, sunset pupus and hi-octails at the Bali Hai and diner at the Tahiti! Keeping these places thriving BECAUSE of their thematic consistency will help spare them the fate of another local gem now merely a ghost of it's former self.

By 2008 historic Tiki in San Diego will be making its last stand on Shelter Island and I'm glad you're among those who realise the importance of producing regular exhibitions or performances there.

The same sincere enthusiasm from you that makes your mag legit will make your events best not missed.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 02:11 am   Permalink

I'm real excited about my working being in this show.

So excited I'm coming over to see it!

I'll be coming over with Tiki Chris, seeing the show, meeting the tiki crowd and hopefully going up the coast and taking in some more tiki sights on the way.

I'll post some sketches soon of the pieces I plan to put in the show.

See you there.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 07:38 am   Permalink

Is Gecko going to be there or just some of his work?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-30 6:42 pm   Permalink

WoooHoooo! I just booked our room for the night at Humphrey's. Both Humphrey's Half Moon Inn & Suites and The Best Western Island Palms have lots of rooms available for the weekend with low rates

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-31 12:28 am   Permalink

Wow this thread got a bit f*#c*ed up lol.. BUMP ..SO Holden & Squid the mug is richeous brah! (not the duo, pun intended lol)..how many days should we get to the event in order to get one WoOhOO how bout re-posting the info. you have for us, do we need tickets pre reservations or do we just show up? hint BUMP

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2007-08-31 00:35 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-31 07:20 am   Permalink

If you are interested in room accommodations PM me for more information

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-31 12:15 pm   Permalink

Mahalo WooHooWahine for info efforts you were nice enough to gather for us. I am excited for this event I enjoy the art shows most. I wish the sponsors of these events would be better about putting together host hotels etc. for those of us who must travel. I travel alone a bit & it's just to late at night to make the drive home. I know WooHoo is working on that & I will wait to hear more & hopefully book a room at a discount. THIS IS GONNA BE FUN! Hope to see you all there!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
maid Marion
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-05 3:17 pm   Permalink

sounds awsome. I'll be there.

View Profile of maid Marion Send a personal message to maid Marion      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-05 4:45 pm   Permalink

Aloha & WoooHooo! I've done a little homework and here's the info I have for you regarding accommodations. Humphries requires a two night minimum for the weekend and their room availability is very limited to rooms that are really pricey for that weekend. BUT...... The Best Western Island Palms Hotel (which is right next door to Humphries and within walking distance to The Bali Hai) has availability. If you are interested in staying their I reserved a Block of rooms at the rate of $175 for the night of November 2. Call 1-800-922-2336 to reserve your room. To get this rate mention Tiki Magazine Rate. This Special Rate will not be in their computer system until tomorrow afternoon. Feel free to PM me if you have any ?'s Mahalo!!

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-05 5:05 pm   Permalink

REMINDER: Don't call The Best Western Island Palms until after 1:00pm on Thursday, September 6. This Special Rate is not in their computer syatem yet

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation