FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Ever think of opening a Tiki Bar?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Ever think of opening a Tiki Bar?
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-30 07:37 am   Permalink

Ah.... The glory days.... cleaning the bar mats ( there has to be a name for the brown sludge that seems to generate from thin air ) The rot that set into your digits from handling all of the citrus, counting out the drawer at 3:30 a.m. after kicking out the last drunk who has been puking in the bathroom for the last half hour that you have to mop up after you restock the bar and check you inventory. How people get there stuff on the ceilings in the bathroom has always been a hellish mystery that is best never understood. Of course there is always new artwork appearing in there, best thing to do is put in a chalkboard and encourage it. You could take pictures of the best ones and make a great.....coffee table book? er, no... bathroom reading material book from it.

I love the Lodge Thing! You've got me thinking on that one. My House could be a lodge! Of course I live next to a school. That could be a problem. Hey! A lodge that doubles as a Mixology school, since we are multi-tasking. Karaoke, pool table, batting cages, darts., putt putt golf, dance poles, showers.... It would make a good SIM.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 07:59 am   Permalink

There is a bar here in an historic local restaurant named Sinaloa. Sinaloa is a Mexican restaurant totally without pretense, but with stunningly simple and high quality food. The restaurant is Midcentury Modern Mexican complete with velvet paintings on the walls. If a person is not into kitsch then he will also miss out on the great food and sublime service. Sinaloa has been in a large, old, two-story house and operates on the bottom floor (massive). The second story--also massive--is the bar. They have tried to make a go of the place a number of time to no avail. They rent it out for banquets and if you order a drink they go upstairs to get it, but the bar is currently closed. The bar is the same Midcentury Modern Mexican look, but the space could quickly be tiki-ized. I know NOTHING about bartending but I have always thought the Sinaloa bar could be a goldmine IF it were marketed independently of the restaurant--it has a separate entrance as well as one from the restaurant.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gordon58
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-30 09:12 am   Permalink

Yup. I have thought of it. I think you are in a better position. If that is what you want, why not? Yea, go to work in a bar for a bit and learn pour counts and all of that. But hey, if it is your dream...Go do it!!!!! Maybe more of this would give me the courage.... good luck!!!!

View Profile of gordon58 Send a personal message to gordon58      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hawaiian Dick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-03 11:52 pm   Permalink

Funny to notice this thread today, on my first visit to the forums in a while.

For whatever reason, this very thought has been on my mind all day. I don't think Kansas City can support a full-fledged tiki bar, but I've often thought a retro bar with a tiki flavor might work in the right place. For a while, at least.

I even know a good chef with time on her hands...

-BCM

View Profile of Hawaiian Dick Send a personal message to Hawaiian Dick  Email Hawaiian Dick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-04 07:45 am   Permalink

Make sure you factor the cost of insurance.
Patrons drinking and tripping and falling may eventually file a claim.
Even if it is not a legit case, you need to have defense costs prepaid.

One cannot emphasize enough having a business plan to determine your profits.

BTW, will you get a loyal, regular crowd at a bar at a bus stop?
Somehow, I'm thinking that location may not be the best for your financial investment.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-04 7:30 pm   Permalink

I'll say my usual thing even though I was called a "RAT" for saying it when the owner of the now defunct Kahiki Moon was mussing about open his place......I'm sure he now wishes he still had the money he put into it.

The hospitality industry is just that, an INDUSTRY. If you are not an experienced PROFESSIONAL don't waste your money! Would you open a auto body shop just because you like cars? I hope not! Restaurants are MUCH worse and it is a terribly hard industry to be in unless you like to work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day. BTW The bar and grill end of the biz is even more difficult than say fast food (which comes with an operators manual ) or even fine dining.....like to clean up puke? If you want to go into the B&G biz work at an established place for at LEAST a year if not FIVE then you MIGHT know enuff to survive having your own place....but probably not. Of course you could just have a bonfire with your money instead

Seriously I am NOT joking, and BTW I worked in the biz for 20+ years on several continents......good luck!

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-05 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-28 10:19, Rum Hunter wrote:
Sacramento is in dire need of a Tiki Bar. Seems like a a great place for one, it must be the largest city in California without a Tiki establishment!

Yeah....that is just sad. Sacramento is desperately in need of a classy place with a Polynesian menu, good drinks in the proper vessels, live tiki entertainment, and quality tiki decorum. If I had money, I would sure be interested in taking on the challenge and think a business like this would do well in Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln....some of the newest, fastest growing suburbs in the United States.

I would love to own a bar....but once again....I have no investment capital.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 6:55 pm   Permalink

What is wrong with that Ratdouche. You're a real Debby Downer. How dare you even attempt to speak about my experience. You are the sorest of losers. I would commit to Kahiki Moon all over again, infact I am. I can only say the first try was a tremendous learning experience. With that said I will be much more careful this time. Swanky speaks the real truth. Listen to him or ask Martiki about his experience. Live your dream not the Ratturd's.

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 7:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-05 11:10, VampiressRN wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-07-28 10:19, Rum Hunter wrote:
Sacramento is in dire need of a Tiki Bar. Seems like a a great place for one, it must be the largest city in California without a Tiki establishment!

Yeah....that is just sad. Sacramento is desperately in need of a classy place with a Polynesian menu, good drinks in the proper vessels, live tiki entertainment, and quality tiki decorum. If I had money, I would sure be interested in taking on the challenge and think a business like this would do well in Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln....some of the newest, fastest growing suburbs in the United States.

I would love to own a bar....but once again....I have no investment capital.

Two local ex-venues come to mind...The old Eppies at I-80 and Madison and the old ski shop off of Old Auburn Road in Citrus Heights...Both already have the basic "Polynesian" style roofs. I'm seriously thinking about one or the other?? I will post some shots soon! Cool thing about locality is we have the Pyronauts close by. Vamp, we will talk soon.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I know Sacramento needs a TIKI BAR)!

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-15 11:15 pm   Permalink

I will open my (tiki) bar someday.

You'll all probably hate it.

No worries.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-16 05:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-15 23:15, RevBambooBen wrote:
I will open my (tiki) bar someday.
No worries.

Open it! Let us be the judge of that! LOL Pour the drinks and let us contemplate....

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 6:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-15 18:55, Primo Kimo wrote:
What is wrong with that Ratdouche. You're a real Debby Downer. How dare you even attempt to speak about my experience. You are the sorest of losers. I would commit to Kahiki Moon all over again, infact I am. I can only say the first try was a tremendous learning experience. With that said I will be much more careful this time. Swanky speaks the real truth. Listen to him or ask Martiki about his experience. Live your dream not the Ratturd's.

Who is sore and who is the loser here? From your post and your past it looks like you.....what a pathetic name caller you are

Yes Swanky speaks the truth, and only the beginning of all the truths there are to know in the biz. AGAIN if you don't know the biz well get some experience on someone else's dime (asst. managing at a chain restaurant is an easy gig to get for an eyeopener) then try to spread your wings. Dreams are good if you are prepared and not FOOLISH with your (or other's) money like so many others have been.

Remember a failure to plan is a plan to fail and part of this plan must be the knowledge that only experience can bring.

[ This Message was edited by: Rattiki 2007-08-17 18:06 ]

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-18 12:04 am   Permalink

<<I will open my (tiki) bar someday.

No worries. >>

If you play Jimmy Buffett in there I will personally kill you with a nail gun.
Black Flag I can live with.
And you have to serve rum. Bud will not do.

One cool thing in your bar is that the story talked there would be epic.
Have a Bungy-night. Light the torches. Make the kava. Whip out the tiki bong.
The man and the implement.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
diesel tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-18 07:45 am   Permalink

I like the idea of a private members only club or lodge. And see if the city will grant you any monies to renovate. I don't know what the tax rate is on booze is in california,but in texas its cheaper to serve beer than liquor. Draft beer is a real money-maker in the bar. Maybe get a deal with local micro breweries to sell their products.
Talk to those who have the experience of opening (and especially closing)a bar with a few or no investors. Investors are great to open,but its when THEY decide it is profitable that it starts to suck.
Make it some Lodge that you have to wear fez's.

View Profile of diesel tiki Send a personal message to diesel tiki  Email diesel tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-18 10:51 am   Permalink

Rattiki = NATO (No Action Talk Only). To either fail or succeed you must make an attempt.

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation