FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Robin's Jade Carving update 4/3 actually got one done!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Robin's Jade Carving update 4/3 actually got one done!
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-05 2:48 pm   Permalink

Hey there. Well Ben...that puts you six or seven ahead of me. Plus lots of experience carving. The nose is problematic, and I am not totally in the corner, but dancing around trying to avoid it...dangerously close. Really good advice on the detailing...thanks...and sloooooooower is good...very very good. I saw that change you mentioned...it's kind of fascinating, but definitely complicates things. Whew! Thanks for that as well. Let it alone for awhile, and came back with a fresh perspective. Learning how to look at it. I have to go back and lower the top right of the head (learning experience #1)...couldn't figure out how come I couldn't get both sides to look the same. It all came down to the head not being an even thickness on both sides. Gonna work on the V cuts as well, need to get some finer burs.

I am going to lower it some at the beak...I lost some of the shape/definition on the mouth while I was futzing around, I think it will come back if I take some off the top, and also help the nose.

Macro shots...o.k. next time....I made those first pics small because they were kinder! Know what you mean.

I am heading out tomorrow...have to put my piece up for awhile...unless I decide to take it and stare at it for two weeks...or rub away with wet/dry just for fun....uummmmmmmmm.

I'm hoping the 'rubbing sticks' will offer some salvation!

Thanks Ben...thanks for helping me...you're the best.

Hey GMan. Been meaning to get in touch with you as well! Thanks for opening that door. Have also spent some time with your work...really fine craftsmanship.

Thanks for following my posts, and for your support. It's nice to be in such good company. Ben has a lot of experience with carving these images, and his input is really valuable.

I am pretty close to you I think, and would LOVE to get together...if you wanna carve with someone whose never carved wood before I am sure game. I'm an experienced coffee drinker though. Will PM you.

Gotta go pack...thank you both. No carving for two weeks.

R.

Learning experience # 8.

Get new glasses so you can see.

[ This Message was edited by: Robin 2007-08-07 08:24 ]

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-05 5:54 pm   Permalink

Take your piece so you can study it and play with it but take no tools. Have relaxed FUN.
Talk more later.
Ben

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 12:53 pm   Permalink

Hi Robin, just saw your post, really nice first piece. You have talent!

enjoy your trip

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 07:57 am   Permalink

Thanks so much Amy...nice of you to have a look. I appreciate your comments very much.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 02:56 am   Permalink

Kia ora Robin.

You look to be progressing just fine to me. You seem to have the main elements delineated and shaped nicely and its really just a matter of closing in on the finer detail (where, as Ben says, features will take on their final definition/quirks), establishing those final depths and cleaning up any rough surfaces (usually on the 'edges' of various elements: beak, tongue, etc) If your burrs are a getting a bit clumsy it sounds like you'd better wait for those finer ones, although one piece of carving wisdom its good to learn early on is "always use the biggest/best-fitting tool for the task" - as time has gone on I have found myself doing certain jobs on the grinding wheel that I wouldnt have dreamed possible when I first started, ditto with handpiece/detail. I think this is where Ben really excels; his understanding and experience of 'form' allows him to dive in with large burrs and pull out the image he sees. Mere mortals such as ourselves tend to sink a little depth into a 2-D design and do our best in breaching the difference

You may soon learn the benefit of putting a carving away for a while too - the next time you look at it, it will be much more apparent what the next steps must be... Keep us posted!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 03:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-04 12:53, Robin wrote:
Some of this carving is pretty deep...I'm not finished noodling with some of the areas yet, but when I get there....what is the best way of getting in these areas to smooth it out some? Tama warned me about this. He said make designs that don't have areas that are difficult to get to...sigh. I don't want to touch some of these areas with burs now as the design is starting to deteriorate....eyebrows...nose...plus, my burs are to big for somethings.

Quote:

On 2007-08-05 14:48, Robin wrote:
I'm hoping the 'rubbing sticks' will offer some salvation!

I don't know about salvation, but they will help you get a great finish in those difficult areas. They are only useful for removing toolmarks and scratches though - not for correcting errant lines or refining the detail. The carving part is usually complete before they come into play. I will post some pics in the Q+A thread tomorrow - I've been out of my workshop for almost a week or I would have done it sooner...

Noses are definitely one of the trickier areas. I always draw mine up bigger than I want them to be, so I have some room for error (especially on softer stone). Because the plane around the nose is usually the lowest part of the face, inevitably it gets worn away from the sides, even with the utmost care...and always drill the nostrils last when all the other shaping is done!

(actually rereading all this and the thread, I see Ben has pretty much covered all the bases as always...oh well, a concurring opinion never hurts )

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 10:27 am   Permalink

Thanks Tama and Paipo. Your advice is very helpful. It's been interesting trying to figure out what to do when...I've been going backwards and forwards and getting in my own way. Your posts and Ben's have helped make that more clear. Great advice about the nose Paipo....it was kind of tiny to begin with. I hear you too Tama. Doing the right things with conviction at the beginning will certainly make the rest of it easier...as well as putting it aside for awhile.

Ben sure does understand the process and how to get there.... you do an excellent job of drawing out your images as well...and Paipo. I hope I live long enough to get there too!

Looking forward to getting back to work on it.

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-19 6:23 pm   Permalink

Hey Robin,
Have you been able to make any progress on your carving or are you still out of town?? I can't wait to see more!!!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 09:16 am   Permalink

Yes....still out of town...and missing working on it. Oh well....back to it late Aug. Thanks for checking in!

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-30 12:22 am   Permalink

Still out of town ? Answer yes or post an update. No other choice

Benjam

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-30 3:30 pm   Permalink

Yah Ben...thanks for checking in. Just got back. Updates soon.

Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 4:22 pm   Permalink

Hi guys (generic guys of course)...well here are some progress shots. I couldn't decide which ones to post, so I posted them all. I couldn't resist a bit polishing just to see. I don't know if you can see by the pictures, but there are some uneven areas I was kind of surprised about that showed up on the tongue near the mouth. Is this just a matter of more sanding/finer sanding, or do I need to go back and do something else? And the eyes...any suggestions? It kind of looks like the alien to me. Thanks for stopping by and having a look...any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your encouragement and help.

Robin

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 4:47 pm   Permalink

Alright, Robin's back!!!! That is looking GREAT!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 7:58 pm   Permalink

Robin, you are coming along Very well with your first piece. He looks Much cleaner than a few weeks ago and the nose seems to have grown? Can't wait to see it in person one day. That jade looks great to me, hope you get Lots of chunks out of it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-06 10:36 am   Permalink

Thanks TF and Benz. It's great to be back...in Florida, and working on my carving. That was great advice you gave me on the nose Ben...lip goes down, nose comes up...it worked! Thanks!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation