FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Robin's Jade Carving update 4/3 actually got one done!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Robin's Jade Carving update 4/3 actually got one done!
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 02:46 am   Permalink

These little warclubs really are nice (especially the tiny tiki face ) You've really pushed your skill level up a few notches on these last couple of pieces. Great design, pleasing forms and restrained use of detail. I had thought "mussel shell" at first when I saw your mystery piece, as jade lends itself so well to the shape, but it seemed too obvious? !Obviously not! I 've clocked up a few myself over the years and found another nice offcut just recently that will be musselised too.
The fix worked beautifully - now you just need a nice knotted ridge lashing to conceal the trickery!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
prairie jade
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-25 04:18 am   Permalink

looking good robin. missed you at the big sur jade fest. i can vouch for benz' suggestion- having carved myself into corners again and again.

View Profile of prairie jade Send a personal message to prairie jade  Email prairie jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mozzie

Posted: 2008-01-25 9:05 pm   Permalink

hey, robin just a bit of info i got last week,u might find interesting that is that tha measurement for a patu or mere was made to measure for the warrior in question by measuring the distance between the individuals wrist and elbow, this being considered the optimum length for the club

View Profile of mozzie Send a personal message to mozzie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-25 10:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-25 21:05, mozzie wrote:
...is that tha measurement for a patu or mere was made to measure for the warrior in question by measuring the distance between the individuals wrist and elbow, this being considered the optimum length for the club

*Good on ya Mossie - I knew, but didnt know, ya know..

T

ps: hows the heat? MrsT & I are about to spend 10days in Melbourne.. gulp

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 03:35 am   Permalink

Aloha Robin!!!
Hang in there my friend and keep going your carvings are prety cool. Try using "Barnicles DIRTY Barnicles"SPONGBOB Quote We have Kids and Yes we watch ALOT of spongebob , besides my wife tells me to say that and I actully laugh a bit(a Pirate sort of laugh but a chuckle or two and it breaks the frustration ),keep posting and carefull with the HANDS thing,Aloha, Your friend, Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-26 1:39 pm   Permalink

Many many thanks to all for stopping by and for your comments,interest and support. Nice.

Seeksurf, the learning experience is the best! Thanks

Benjamin, Thanks. Haven't gotten to the other one as yet, but did get some vision of what I might like to try. Am in the finish something mode!

Paipo, Thanks so much for your very nice comments. Those little mussels really do want to be pounamu for sure. It's hard not to want to make one the shape is so nice. Maybe you'll show us that one when you get to it. Haven't gotten to the lashing yet...currently working on the tiny face...exponentially difficult. Thanks for the too...those things make me laugh, and in fact, working on this guy has been kinda like that!

Prairie Jade, thanks for your comment. I'm sorry I missed it too. Hopefully next year.

mozzie...wow your first post. Thanks for that bit of info, I do find it interesting. I love finding out these things....weapons are form and function really personalized. I haven't had that much luck finding out those kind of details about the Maori weapons. I did learn something today (kind of off topic)...that when Europeans came to the U.S. with rifles...the kind that are loaded with powder flint etc.... when they became useless in close combat, our indigenous people turned them around and used them as clubs. They had metal on the butt of the stock, and the warriors would embed bone, flint, teeth etc along the edge...kind of like the Maori Maripi. Whew.

Tama. This would be a good time to correct myself. It was a weapon called a Wahangohi that I saw that was used to extract the liver, not the Kotiate. Although it's interesting that kotiati means liver cutter. Wahangohi (from what I've found) is single lobed weapon with a kind of a hook on one side. I have also found that in Maori Wahangohi means weapon. I hope I'm right this time! Please correct me if not, and point me in the right direction. Sorry for the error. Have fun in Oz.

MooneyTiki. Thank you for stopping by, and the tip about Sponge Bob. I hate to admit for various reasons that I've never seen it, but it worked anyway! Promise to be careful. Thanks again. Aloha

Well this has turned into a novel.

Haven't dropped or broken anything lately...knock on wood. Thank you all again. Hope to have something finished to post next time.

R.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mozzie

Posted: 2008-01-26 3:10 pm   Permalink

know what u mean by form and function second that completely. yeap my first post on any forum anywhere !! .this tc is wild ,have been reading for weeks now and loving it, particularly as i am looking to make the transition of carving from bone to stone {20 years overdue}.I have put aside a few of pieces of pounamu and am looking forward to joining the "stoners" club.
p.s.Tama hope they have air con where ur going,dont know about melb but in qld it's cooking

View Profile of mozzie Send a personal message to mozzie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-02 5:59 pm   Permalink

Hi all,

First, since I forgot my manners last time, I'd like to welcome Mozzie to TC, and to thank you for making your first post to my thread. Your first post to any forum no less. Hope you stick around and enjoy the great carvings and carvers. Good luck with getting back to carving, and the transition to Pounamu. Hope to see some of your work soon.

Well, I got the Kotiate done, and worked on the Wahaika.

Made a little club for the toggle.

My intention was to try and bury the knot, but I didn't make the counter sink big enough...might go back and fix it, I got impatient sorry to say.

The lashing trickery!

There are some tiny fractures on the bottom left, and on the middle left point. I don't see these when I'm shaping at first, and then they're there when I get to the finish stages. I'm kind of mystified.

But it's done!

Here are some progress shots on the tiny face. More tiny fractures in this stone that I didn't notice...it's like they're buried in the stone. As I tried to work them small bits flew off the lips and nose that I had to then go back and fix. There's another one still on the lip that I'm having to be very careful with.

But I still like him.

I wish he looked a little more fierce though.

Wanting to make some improvements to the face to make him look tougher, but I am not sure what direction to take. Next time hopefully he'll a look more like a fierce warrior.

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

My best to you all,

R.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-02 6:31 pm   Permalink

Ms. R,

That is a beautiful club! I can't see any fractures....so I don't believe they are there. That is some trick lashing you did there too...did ya learn that being a professional potter? I think not. Gman likee! I am very happy to see you grinding away I can't wait to see more.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-02 8:29 pm   Permalink

Wow! Nice Robin...I have always been envious of people who could work so small. The little carving on the handle butt is intense! It's cool to have another clay person floating around here.

Best!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 08:51 am   Permalink

Hi G...thanks for stopping by and for your compliments...beautiful works really well for me! Thanks! The imperfections...I don't know if they're fractures really...they are pretty small...they just make sort of a slight difference in the look of the stone in the really thin edge partsthere...maybe I'm just worrying to much. I got the lashing from Steve and doing some research on sailors knots and joining rope....I have seen some beautiful intricate lashing on Polynesian work, but it's not easy to find how to information. It is a wonderful decorative/utilitarian element. I wish I knew more about it. I didn't use to much lashing making pots...defective stuff went into the landfill I now have in my back yard where all the shards live.

Hi Babalu. Thanks for the Wow...that too is a great compliment coming from another artist. Never worked this small before...I have to use 5X optivisors! It is a little insane. I have always liked to make detailed stuff, but this is a push...hope I can pull it off. I'm always happy meet other clay people too! Kindred spirits.

Thanks again you guys.

R.

MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 09:14 am   Permalink

Aloha Robin!!!
Your club looks sweet my friend.very nice job carving,Aloha , Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 11:23 am   Permalink

You're on a roll now Robin!!!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 11:48 am   Permalink

You must have really steady hands to carve that small. Some of the grooves in your fingerprints look bigger than the details in the jade.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 7:57 pm   Permalink

Most Excellent Job Robin. I think we can make the face Fiercer, must remove Minute pieces here and there carefully. Bring it over and I'll show you how to do it.
Nice to see your work again!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation