FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Tuesday @ SAM'S Cancelled :(
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Tiki Tuesday @ SAM'S Cancelled :(
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-11 3:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-11 13:40, Bora Boris wrote:
.......Trust me no one loves to complain more than me* ...
... Just stay home........*I honestly love to complain.

Don't you ever stop complaining??? Sheeesh! Stop bye and I'll buy you a Mai-Tai!

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 4:00 pm   Permalink

I hated the tv's with sports on them in the Bar at Sam's , thought that was just the worst thing ever.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 09:32 am   Permalink

Mine must be a minority opinion in wanting tiki music in a tiki bar. Silly me.

Bring on the hip hop. I am having such a hard time finding it anywhere these days.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 09:36 am   Permalink

That last was directed at "Bora Boris" by the way.

All these things, TV in the bar, hip hop on the sound systemn are easy and quick fixes, you know? I am not saying Sam's needs to remove 3 walls and widen a door. Just get rid of the hip hop. Turn the TV off.

The problem is with those customers who say they are "bored" by Tiki. Perhaps they should find a non-tiki bar. After all, the huge A-frame out front might be a tip off that this is not a Dave and Busters.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-08-12 10:54 am   Permalink

I 100% agree with you Lucas but at the moment I'm just gonna be happy that it's not a construction site or a parking lot.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mouse Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 11:16 am   Permalink

...........Hi everyone. Ive been reading this thread & can absolutely relate. Thats one reason the Agents try to mix it up a bit in the music dept. Pure "Tiki" gigs dont come around every week. I really like the idea of relaxing island music until 9ish, then more "popular" [what ever!*^?] music after that. I hope they come up w/a plan for this place that everyone can live with. The place is just amazing!.........Remy

View Profile of Mouse Art Send a personal message to Mouse Art  Goto the website of Mouse Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lion
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 11:53 am   Permalink

KIDS!!!

"Aaaak Sehhhhn Tyoo Ate the Positive, Dihhhh Mihhhh Nyoo Ate the Negative..."

Gang, this here Cosa Nostra ("our thing") is about a positive passion; can you be OK that it's not everyone else's?

Enthusiasm for our friends' efforts will inspire more, whining will just make bitchy, not bitchin'.

Think about it, then try it: positive really works!

(Daddy will stop lecturing now.)

View Profile of Tiki Lion Send a personal message to Tiki Lion  Email Tiki Lion     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 12:25 pm   Permalink

Yeah, but these are positive suggestions, and don't require much effort to implement. The TV, for example: We used to play at the Catalina fish kitchen, and the guy was running surf movies and videos on all the TV screens. I thought that was cool, and extremely appropriate, and really was not that cost prohibitive.

It's the Jimmy Buffetization of america that really bothers me, I guess. The need to pasteurize, distill and modernize everything. During the 50/s/60/s, when Tiki was at it's most popular, Americans really dug "themed" parties and themed restaraunts. it was a fantasy, a form of escapism, and while never culturally or historically accurate, it still served the purpose of transporting people to another time and place.

What is more fun the sipping a mai tai, enjoying a whole mess of bamboo and tapa cloth, and listening to exotica, lounge or even surf??

I just feel there are enough TGI Fridays and sports bars to cater to those people who don't care about ambience.

Because if that's the way things are, why are they not playing Gustav Mahler at the Viper room? Fair is fair!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 12:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-12 10:54, Bora Boris wrote:
I 100% agree with you Lucas but at the moment I'm just gonna be happy that it's not a construction site or a parking lot.

I can see that, of course. I just feel things could be made better without losing customers because the place is known for an authentic Tiki/Poly pop style, and not catering to modern tastes, (which IMHO are bland and boring.)

Tiki Lion
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 1:52 pm   Permalink

LV, I don't necessarily disagree with your point (this is Tiki Central right? You're already preachin' to the choir...), but say you're Sam ("OK: 'You're Sam!'"), and you're reading this thread (we have it on good authority that the Sam's do):

"Ouch! Look at everything I'm getting wrong!
"OK you Tiki folks, I give up - maybe the parking lots and condos are a better way to go...

So how about instead:
"Hey Sam, I had a really great time at your place the other night!" (you already said this - it was nice!)
"I'm not sure how often I can visit, 'cause a lot of the drink prices are beyond my pay grade, but on the other hand, that Tuesday 5$ Mai Tai thing exactly hits the spot! Can we do more of that?
"I would really dig some surfing movies on those surround-vid TV's of yours!
"What can we do to set that up?
"And the Smokin' Menehune's: way to go lining them up for your House Band!
"Since the whole Tiki thing is gettin' so popular, and what with those new Tiki drink specials, what other Tiki bands can we set up?

So maybe anyone who goes into the service business *should* be able to take whatever criticism comes their way; but hey, service is often really painful, even when willing.
Any one of us who has done service knows how that negative feedback stuff hurts deep; do we really need to act out the old primitive repetition thing when inspiration works so much better?
Do we want a happy host, or a grizzled cynic looking back at us over the bar?

"You can dissolve darn near as much of anything in honey as in vomit, but people will crave the honey and remember the sweet amendments." (grammar school cooking teacher)

Are we communicating here, or just debating?
I usually make a point of avoiding liti-'gators... except barbecue'd or in stew...

View Profile of Tiki Lion Send a personal message to Tiki Lion  Email Tiki Lion     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 5:01 pm   Permalink

Not debating. I doubt anyone who posts on this board prefers hearing Beyonce to Arthur Lyman, when it comes to what you like to listen to in a tiki bar. But facts are, we have to do everything we can to keep Tiki going, and not just in a peripheral way.

I can only speak for myself, when I see old Tiki motels that once had swinging 60's chicks with beehive haircuts lounging by the pool now turned into low-rent crystal meth hotels. It just makes me sad, and if I only had the money, I promise I would buy and renovate a Tiki restaraunt or club (using people like Bamboo Ben and the other fine artists on this board and in this community)-and then I would keep it Tiki. I would not feel the need to dumb it down for the masses. I would let the style stand on it's own, knowing I had something different then all the other bland corporate entities out there. Turning everything into a home association approved world where we have to stay current or die, is against everything I believe in.

The fact that there are succesful CD series like ultra lounge, or succesful artists like Shag, proves that there is indeed a market for this stuff. I guess.

Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am not!

As to adopting and liking other styles, I am no purist. I have played in every kind of band possible, from Alt-rock to prog rock to bebop to funk/disco. In fact, tiki and lounge music is not even my favorite style (heresy!) but I like it, am knowledgeable about it, have many CDs in the genre, and can and will play it in a band.

Sams seafood is a beautiful thing. I am damn glad it is not a condo or parking lot yet, but I can only imagine part of the reason there is even a chance it might close, is due to changing public tastes, and pandering to them.

Tiki Lion
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 12:03 am   Permalink

Lucas, please accept my apologies: I took after you like a hyena after a noble Lion, and you don't deserve it.
I totally misread your meaning and the context in which you have been posting.
A kind sister gently tugged my whiskers and redirected my nose to review the thread.

I do stand by the "positive reinforcement" thing, but as one of The Smoking Menehunes yourself you deserve my thanks, not the verbal lashing I delivered.
I'm sorry for addressing you that way, and would like to offer my friendship instead of the barely-disguised bile I delivered.

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-13 12:08 am   Permalink

So who's on the roll call for Tues the 14th?? I heard some are going to Bahooka? I think it would be fun if we could cash in on this Tiki Tuesday's thing at Sam's & do Bahooka on another night. The more the merrier Just a thought??

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 07:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-13 00:03, Tiki Lion wrote:
Lucas, please accept my apologies: I took after you like a hyena after a noble Lion, and you don't deserve it.
I totally misread your meaning and the context in which you have been posting.
A kind sister gently tugged my whiskers and redirected my nose to review the thread.

I do stand by the "positive reinforcement" thing, but as one of The Smoking Menehunes yourself you deserve my thanks, not the verbal lashing I delivered.
I'm sorry for addressing you that way, and would like to offer my friendship instead of the barely-disguised bile I delivered.

I actually did not take it in any bad way. I have pretty strong opinions. But we are just talking here, ya know? I really love Tiki. It's something I remember from my early childhood, when things were different, music was better, life seemed better (except for Vietnam, segregation/racism, ect)and I guess a sign of a person turning into an old fogey is when you wake up one morning and realize: "If I have to hear one more 'smooth jam' from 92 THE BEAT, I am going to scream!!!!!!"

One thing I really like about the new Sam's is that the people who are working (With the exception of one extremely sullen and agressive bartender who was smashing dry ice with a hammer at the bar, completely disregarding the safety of the people drinking )are all very nice. The manager, Demi, is super cool, and the waitresses are all tops! I see them interacting very nicely with the customers. That's a good thing. Plus, for some reason, they are all very easy on the eyes. I say forget the hip hop. Just keep the place well-stocked with cute waitresses like that, and you won't need any stinkin R. Kelly!!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-13 08:07 am   Permalink

So, after all that.
who is playing at Sam's this Tuesday.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation