FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » The Embellished Tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Embellished Tiki
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 11:11 am   Permalink

After searching for an existing thread in which to post the images in the second post to this thread (and being unable to find one which seemed entirely appropriate), I have begun this new thread “The Embellished Tiki.” My intention is to provide a forum and place to post images of tiki that have been altered, embellished or adorned in a way that might add to (and not diminish) the artistic intent of the individual who originally created the tiki.

View Profile of timidtiki Send a personal message to timidtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 11:31 am   Permalink

Well . . . that seemed to work OK. So . . . with the stated objective (above) in mind I offer the following images.

First - an image of the original tiki which I recently purchased. I was told that it was carved in Hawaii sometime during the 1940’s and is made of Koa wood.

Second - an image of the proposed embellishment (appendage) which is a small fire agate carved in the Southwest (USA) - beans not shown.

Finally - two images of the embellished tiki with added appendage (and two small beans).

I call it "Tiki with Tiki." I like it.

View Profile of timidtiki Send a personal message to timidtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 1:22 pm   Permalink

Where did you GET the name Timid tiki?? This is hilarious and totally cool. It will be interesting to see who chimes in with more embellishments. Good one timid!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 04:02 am   Permalink

whatthe..?

Firstly thats an incredible carving! Secondly, your er, addition does fit in - stylistically speaking. You got the angle and curve of the fire-stick right, ahem.

Not quite so risque, but I like to have a bit of fun with my buddies too:

these guys have both benefitted from eye-jobs (you may recognise the Moais peepers; star rubies! and the M.Kavakavas are jade and silver)

and in an effort to 'improve' some not-so-good tourist Tangs I created the TackyTangTower:

sometimes less is more, sometimes you just need more..

Interesting and current idea - I see Tiki Lee's is grappling with altering some old Witco panels..

T3

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 04:03 am   Permalink

Are the "beans" actually beans? Kind of appropriate if they are...
I'm sure you've shocked a few purists with your wanton desecration of such a sacred relic, but I must admit your modifications don't look out of place on that carving. The simian features and suggestive pose...he was asking for it!
I actually have a nice natural black pearl earmarked for a very similar purpose - it may well make an appearance one day...

edit: I thought this one would catch Tama's eye...he has some very "interesting" non-tiki carvings in his collection of curiosities

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2007-08-08 04:05 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 10:33 am   Permalink

Thanks - Ben, Paipo, Tama

The "beans" are indeed beans - home grown black beans to be precise.

Given time they will shrink and become wrinkled.

This is a natural process.

. . . still Timid!

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-08 10:33, timidtiki wrote:
. . . still Timid!

Uh huh. Sure. Great embelishment.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 10:07 am   Permalink

Hi NotSoTimidTiki. I was speechless, then JohnnyP said it for me.

[ This Message was edited by: Robin 2007-08-09 14:41 ]

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-30 06:55 am   Permalink

Two not-so-tiki tiki - each with an accoutrement.

Two pics of carved wood figures - one is a Bali carved skull cane, and the other is a tiki wall hanging (this tiki told a lie, lost his tongue, and grew a nose).

The accoutrement? A Linde star ruby for the eye in the cane/skull and a small red glass marble eye in the wall hanging.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 6:27 pm   Permalink

timid, cool stuff, I Love that star ruby. Got your package today, Great stuff, HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 7:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks for bringing this back to the surface Ben, Id totally missed it.

Timid: Long time no chat, I hope all is well.

Great addition to the Pinochi-nose. Creepy even; really brings it to life. Amazing how just one little detail can make such an impact. Two would probably ruin the effect.. Dont let J.Sparrow see you with his cane either - arrrrrgh!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-21 08:26 am   Permalink

Greetings, my friends – My name is “Tiro Makutu Pokorua” or “Hollow Stare” for you who do not speak the ancient tongue of the Maori. I came to be in the land of the Kiwi destined to live a life of leisure lounging in a temperate sun or a soft spring rain. Then my maker said “transportation for thee!” and sent me to live in the Colonies . . .

I was sipping one down on Barbary Coast when I woke in a ship on the sea. A Pirate Ship, to my dismay, when I looked at the changes they made in me.

First my eye – a comely red of the Linde (star ruby) kind . . . set in a plug flush on the back of my head (so they can take it out whenever it pleases) . . . but only one (those pirates are cheap) . . . the rest remains buried in the treasure chest. So I needed a patch for the other eye as ye have already seen in the Pirate thread.

But I’ve had my revenge, I’m the Cap’n now of this pirate ship and I have a new name from the Yankee scum who can’t speak the tongue of the Ancient One . . . “Goes Here” I am called by all on this land, on my ship, and the sea for I go where I want and see what I see.

Now an offer for ye who a pirate would be and a share of the treasure would like to see . . . tell all my new name, how it came to be, then post it here for all to see . . . the first who is right wins a share of the treasure . . . I’ll post it right here, pmsl msg for an address, and post it right smartly when I know when to send it.

(Official Notice and Note: All the usual disclaimers, the Judge’s decision is final, and Paipo is not eligible as he already knows the answer. And, sadly, my new master says he likes me better without my fancy new garb and I can wear it only once a year on the official Aussie Pirate Day.)

Hint (October 2, 2007) - For some reason, I thought this was easy . . . but to make it somewhat clearer, the new (pirate) name is "Goes Here." Now you just have to figure how that name came to be! . . . another hint next week if there are no takers by then.

Final Hint (October 9, 2007) - The answer lies in Paipo's thread.

[ This Message was edited by: timidtiki 2007-09-21 08:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: timidtiki 2007-10-02 15:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: timidtiki 2007-10-09 08:27 ]

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-17 5:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-21 08:26, timidtiki wrote:

But I’ve had my revenge, I’m the Cap’n now of this pirate ship and I have a new name from the Yankee scum who can’t speak the tongue of the Ancient One . . . “Goes Here” I am called by all on this land, on my ship, and the sea for I go where I want and see what I see.

Now an offer for ye who a pirate would be and a share of the treasure would like to see . . . tell all my new name, how it came to be, then post it here for all to see . . . the first who is right wins a share of the treasure . . . I’ll post it right here, pmsl msg for an address, and post it right smartly when I know when to send it.

Final Hint (October 9, 2007) - The answer lies in Paipo's thread.

Now Im onto something here I know - but still aint sure quite what..?

??????? "Cool name/#41" ** ??????? No help from Paipo I swear!

Tama

timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-17 6:56 pm   Permalink

And the winner is . . . TAMA!

TAMA's share of the pirate treasure - fire agate titillation:

[ This Message was edited by: timidtiki 2007-11-30 08:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: timidtiki 2007-11-30 08:56 ]

timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-21 11:13 am   Permalink

I began this thread as a place where one might like to post images of "embellished tiki" . . . that is, images of tiki that have had something added to them (i. e., embellished) in an attempt to add to or say something in addition to the original tiki image.

With this in mind, I have decided to expand the scope of the thread to include things that have been improved by the addition of a tiki or tiki like image.

That said . . . coming soon: The Hawaiian Cowboy, The Amish Pirate, and my very own Tiki Bathroom Project. Stay tuned . . .

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation