FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help! What are those globe/bubble hanging lamps called?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Help! What are those globe/bubble hanging lamps called?
Batfink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-09 4:03 pm   Permalink

Looking for the swag lamps that are round in shape and have netting or rope wrapped around them. They are usually colored lights. Does anyone know if these lamps have a specific name? Thanks in advance for any help....

BatFinker

View Profile of Batfink Send a personal message to Batfink  Email Batfink Goto the website of Batfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 4:16 pm   Permalink

They are called "Glass Float Lamps". Originally made from Japanese glass fishing floats!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Batfink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-09 4:21 pm   Permalink

THANKS so much-- I owe ya one.....

View Profile of Batfink Send a personal message to Batfink  Email Batfink Goto the website of Batfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

They are called "Glass Float Lamps". Originally made from Japanese glass fishing floats!

...which used to get torn from the nets during storms on the Japanese coast, from where they floated to Hawaiian shores, where they were beachcombed by locals and used as decor for homes and bars.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-09 5:15 pm   Permalink

I love a happy ending.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 5:50 pm   Permalink

If you are looking for some fish float lamps, our very own Polynesiac makes them! I have a couple of his in my bar area - they're great! Here's more info:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20904&forum=18&vpost=253123

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21320&forum=7

[ This Message was edited by: Mai Tai 2007-08-09 17:58 ]

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-09 6:31 pm   Permalink

I have many of these lights.
Most are from the Kahiki.
Of the 6 I have from the Kahiki
only 1 is a true glass fishing float.
Most are plastic or just vases with netting tied on them.
Look at a Trader Vics or the Mai Kai next time you go.
This is it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 12:33 pm   Permalink

That puffer-fish-in-glass-float light is the best! I have only seen ONE like it in all my travels, at Oceanic Arts.

Here are various types of floats which "floated around" in Polynesian pop :

faux float out of resin, from Kelbo's

real fishing net float out of thick old glass and rope, brought back from Tahiti harbor

faux glass float, made for decoration nowadays

midcentury-modern "float", from The Tikis

here are some ideas for float treatments from an old OA catalog:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 1:24 pm   Permalink

Very few are actually fish floats. Folks here can testify as to the difficulty in cutting the real things to make lights. And with the number of killed floats to good ones ratio, it is a tough task. Even finding the glass globes the size you see in the vintage TVs is a tough thing.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 1:49 pm   Permalink

I've just ordered a 24" diameter reproduction glass float that I'd like to turn into a light. Any suggestions for the best (i.e. least likely to cause it to shatter)way to create the hole for the light? I think someone recently did it by sandblasting?

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 3:03 pm   Permalink

Where did you find a 24" diameter float? That should make a cool (and enormous) light.

[ This Message was edited by: Fugu 2007-08-10 15:04 ]

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 3:38 pm   Permalink

Nice lamps, Sven. Here is another example, it's one that I picked up at the Alameda Antiques Market a couple months back. I'm going to put a pufferfish lamp inside of it. I'm unsure if I'm going to put rope netting around it though, because that would cover up it's cool faux translucent tortoise finish.

[ This Message was edited by: Mai Tai 2007-08-10 15:43 ]

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 8:30 pm   Permalink

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!!! cool posts' yall, and thanks for the props, mai tai - I owe you one at FI next time I'm up!

tikiskip - the one at OA looks just like yours - that's a beauty you got! lucky bastard!

Bigbro - nice collection, did you pull that one out of the water yourself? I hear these things wash up in droves along the north coast of japan still. I'd love to beachcomb there and find glass globes rather than all the styrofoam lobster floats around here.

Quote:
I've just ordered a 24" diameter reproduction glass float that I'd like to turn into a light. Any suggestions for the best (i.e. least likely to cause it to shatter)way to create the hole for the light? I think someone recently did it by sandblasting?

try it, but make sure the globe isn't too thin. the sand blasting will destroy it. I've seen some vintage 24" globes and they are not the same thickness all the way around, so I would guess that the repro one might be too thin.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 06:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-10 15:38, Mai Tai wrote:
I'm going to put a pufferfish lamp inside of it. I'm unsure if I'm going to put rope netting around it though, because that would cover up it's cool faux translucent tortoise finish.

Mai Tai,

Look at Party City, they have thin fishing nets that stretch very well to leave large open areas. I bought a net from there years ago when I started assembling decor for my bar. I had planned on using the net as part of an art project, but I didn't have room for it. When I pulled it out of the packaging (which is about the size of a small manila shipping envelope) I noticed that what I had on had would work great for a float net. Plus if it doesn't work for you, you didn't really spend that much.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 07:28 am   Permalink

ok - how did the pufferfish get into
the small opening ?

Quote:

On 2007-08-10 12:33, bigbrotiki wrote:

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation