Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Damon's
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Damon's
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 10:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-20 15:39, Tikiwahine wrote:
And if you can't make it to Damon's, you can still have their mai tai!
It's in Beachbum Berry's 'Taboo Table'

It is currently one of my favorite drinks from Jeff Berry's books. Guests like it, too.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davestolte

Posted: 27 days ago; 6:14 pm   Permalink

Hey all -

Apologies for bumping an old thread...

But suppose Damon's was to do a bit of a graphic design refresh - logo, menus, website, etc.

What would you like to remain, and what should go?

View Profile of davestolte Send a personal message to davestolte  Goto the website of davestolte     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 6:22 pm   Permalink

Are you this Dave Stolte?
http://davestolte.com/

And are you working with Damon's on this project?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davestolte

Posted: 27 days ago; 6:26 pm   Permalink

I'm that Dave Stolte (and this one http://homebarbasics.com and this one http://wexlerofcalifornia.com).

And yes, working with Damon's on a little design refresh. I'm super-sensitive to the history of the place, how important it is to the regulars there, and to Thor's fun artwork he's done over the years. The goal is to pull together a lot of mismatched visuals, give it a little upgrade, and call it a day.

Hopefully ditch the stuffed-animal monkeys if we can.

[ This Message was edited by: davestolte 2015-03-02 18:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: davestolte 2015-03-02 18:28 ]

View Profile of davestolte Send a personal message to davestolte  Goto the website of davestolte     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 6:28 pm   Permalink

I'll swing by Damon's this week and take a final look and drop you whatever notes I can come up with. I don't work far from the joint and am a graphic designer although a zilch of an illustrator.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davestolte

Posted: 27 days ago; 6:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-02 18:28, kkocka wrote:
I'll swing by Damon's this week and take a final look and drop you whatever notes I can come up with. I don't work far from the joint and am a graphic designer although a zilch of an illustrator.

Cheers Keith!

I think it would be a dumb idea to charge ahead with this project and not include some thoughts from Tiki Central!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 6:38 pm   Permalink

We will be glad to help!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 26 days ago; 09:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-02 18:26, davestolte wrote:
Hopefully ditch the stuffed-animal monkeys if we can.

Somewhere someone is starting a "Save The Stuffed Animal Monkeys" web site...

I have Dave's bar book, and I share it with friends who are new to home bartending. It's a good no-bull book which gets down to business quickly without a lot of flowery underbrush and makes it much less scary for folks who are new to the sport.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davestolte

Posted: 26 days ago; 09:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-03 09:44, AceExplorer wrote:
have Dave's bar book, and I share it with friends who are new to home bartending. It's a good no-bull book which gets down to business quickly without a lot of flowery underbrush and makes it much less scary for folks who are new to the sport.

Thanks Ace!

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-02 18:14, davestolte wrote:
But suppose Damon's was to do a bit of a graphic design refresh - logo, menus, website, etc.

I was a little hopeful that their cocktail menu would get a refesh too. I had a drink, but it certainly wasn't a mai tai whatever it was - tasted like diluted Barton's rum with a hint of pineapple juice. The bar was littered with Bacardi Silver and Gold bottles (I think they were a few short of an official Bacardi Rum sponsor banner hanging over the bar) although behind the register I believe I saw single bottles of Zaya, Appleton, and Kraken maybe. That disappointment aside, the food there is great and although the decor is definitely well-aged and loved, it's not too bad (though not a fan of their murals and of course some furniture swapping would be useful) and was better than I thought it would be.

Anyway, moving on, here are some thoughts, starting with the website:
-HAS to be larger than 786 px wide. It's 2015 and time for a responsive website. I want to check it out on my phone without pinch/zoom and/or consulting Yelp or Google instead.
-Obviously needs hiearchy and a better homepage/landing where there's more than a giant image map.
-If possible, get larger photos either by taking new ones or getting ahold of the originals and bring in at a larger size. The beautiful dining room would be nice shot to land on. Potential for food photography for site (and/or menus?).
-News/Reviews and TV Spot sections are rather...sad. They could totally go.

Logo/Branding:
-I'm not sure how sacred the monkeys are, but I'm not terribly fond of them. That's just me. I get the whole see/hear/speak no evil thing but that doesn't speak steakhouse to me, nor tiki/polynesian. Plus, what's the last one doing, grabbing his balls? I think a nice typeface could serve as a logo just fine - certainly replacing the comic sans-esque type. Or, if they are to stay, an illustration refresh could do wonders. Maybe just monkey heads. Who knows?
-Brown and orange feels kinda old. That's a hard color combination to pull off as modern or relevant - Latitude 29 pulls it off well because they pull in the hot pink and use brown instead of black for body type (that's also the Zune color scheme, for what it's worth, and I like it). I understand the restaurant's been around since 1937 but it shouldn't feel that way. Strokes around logos and type...yeesh. A refreshed color scheme or better execution of the current one could also do wonders.

Menus:
-Mostly refine the type. On the food menu you have an inline and solid display font
similar to this. On the cocktail menu/whatever is at the bar, you have some House Industries fonts. The feeling you get between the two are completely different. Again, monkeys everywhere!

Overall:
-I guess the thought is do we lean tiki, or steakhouse, or can there be a marriage of both?
-Web presence needs to exist. The site feels as old as the restaurant.
-Type can do a lot of the refreshing.

I realize a lot of what I said is either obvious or redundant. Hopefully I didn't come across as douchey.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davestolte

Posted: 23 days ago; 12:36 pm   Permalink

Fantastic notes, thank you Keith! I appreciate you taking the time to visit and share your thoughts. I think we're on the same page. Will keep you all updated here.

SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 4:20 pm   Permalink

I've put in some good hours drinking and eating at Damons and I know a few (non Tiki) people who have been going there for years with their families. I think it's great that they're getting a refresh.

One thing I would say is don't change things so much that you alienate the old school neighborhood clientele. Though I've never understood the Monkeys, or thought they were Tiki (or Steakhouse as kkocka said) they seem to be an integral part of Damons brand - they're on the mugs. I'd personally like something more Tiki but at the same time if feels a bit like replacing big Mo at The Tonga Hut, I just don't see how you do it. And I'm not talking about the stuffed ones in the canoe (I think everyone would be happy to see them go) but just the money motif in general.

Anyway that's my two cents for whatever it's worth. I think it's great that they're revamping a little, means business is good and those strange but refreshing "Mai Tais" and Chi Chi's will keep flowing.

[ This Message was edited by: SoCal Savage 2015-03-06 16:22 ]

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 4:27 pm   Permalink

The monkeys stay. They have been with Damon's from the beginning.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 5:20 pm   Permalink

Might be fun to have a meet up at Damon's to discuss all the ideas. I'm in!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation