FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events San Diego Tiki Carvers - Thanks and who needs wood?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
San Diego Tiki Carvers - Thanks and who needs wood?
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 3:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 15:37, mieko wrote:
Got some info:
We can get there as early as 8 they're saying around 11 would be fine as they'd really like (if possible) a demo around 12-12:30. I'm thinking if we can have a couple of people sketch something out before that, then at demo time, do a few cuts so that it starts to look like a tiki. (A similar finished piece would be great).

Bad news: they only catered 2 extra lunches for us, they're pretty surprised that there are so many of us interested. So, I'm thinking fairest way would be the people who do a more formal demo get the lunches. I'll make musubi's for the rest of us.

Logs - there's 8 logs that will be there 5ft-8ft each. Right now that's plenty for one for each of us, although I don't think I need one.

I need names for the 2 catered lunches so let me know who wants to do a demo for the BBQ lunch.

If there is musubi's I'm good

but seriously, I don't mind doing a formal presentation food or not...if nobody else wants to give it a go...either way I'm down. I'd love to wack at a big 8 footer, I would just have to convince 4wd to drag it home for me

Are these logs skinned??? or at least defranzzzzzyed?

[ This Message was edited by: Clysdalle 2007-08-20 15:45 ]

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 3:50 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

If there is musubi's I'm good

but seriously, I don't mind doing a formal presentation food or not...if nobody else wants to give it a go...either way I'm down. I'd love to wack at a big 8 footer, I would just have to convince 4wd to drag it home for me

Are these logs skinned??? or at least defranzzzzzyed?

[ This Message was edited by: Clysdalle 2007-08-20 15:45 ]
[/quote]

I am down for the chainsaw demo and an eight footer. :0

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 3:56 pm   Permalink

Dang!! Just like the last time we all went to the "Pile of Buzz" for a log load...I was out of the Country for work...I will be away this date too. Can you all show Babalu some love, and hook me up with these cats as well in my absence?

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 4:20 pm   Permalink

I'm a definate now. Got the okay from Lennie.

I would love to carve a bigger tiki down there. The small piece I did at Oasis got me all out of whack!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 4:32 pm   Permalink

So, Clysdalle is good with musubis, so Erik and Bill for the BBQ lunch? Erik - can you PM me your last name? I don't think I have it. I found Bill's earlier today on his website.

Sorry there's not more food - if I have to I'll do a run for more food while we're there.

I'll double check on the log frizzyness - I'm almost positive that they'll have the outer fronds stripped, but that they'll still have the little bit of dark bark on them. Anyone ever de-bark with a chainsaw? Clint would probably help us with that if it can be done.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 5:07 pm   Permalink

NoNaMe just mentioned this to me. How cool! I'll be there.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 5:25 pm   Permalink

This sounds more like a 4WD, Clysdalle and Buzzy type of thing, those guys would benefit from it the most and could tear through a log faster than a speeding bullet. The tree guys sound like they want lots of chainsaws and planers and stuff going like blazes, that's probably demo enough. (4WD's chainsaw speaks volumes.)

I'll just come along and keep chipping by hand for a few hours. If anybody is interested, so be it.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 5:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-20 16:32, mieko wrote:
so Erik and Bill for the BBQ lunch? Erik

I like free food.

Quote:
Sorry there's not more food - if I have to I'll do a run for more food while we're there.

Don't we now have some chop food funds from the auction?
Quote:
I'll double check on the log frizzyness - I'm almost positive that they'll have the outer fronds stripped, but that they'll still have the little bit of dark bark on them. Anyone ever de-bark with a chainsaw? Clint would probably help us with that if it can be done.

Yup, he said they are peeled, meaning the fronds are removed with a razor knife right at bark level. Several of us have drawknives now, so we should be okay.
Can we find out if we'll be carving on a parking lot, or a grass lawn? I'm thinking about cleanup.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 6:16 pm   Permalink

We've got Chop funds now, (Mieko's holding it) but lets wait till the next one to blow them, Babalu will be out of town this time, and this is kind of a weird fast one where we don't really know what to expect, etc. I was thinking it would be great to cater it with Phil's Ribs and onion rings later.

And yeah, if this is a parking lot it's gonna be hot but on the grass it'll be cooler, there'll be trees for shade. They might provide pop-ups, that's the way it sounded.

And the guy said he'd 'clean up after us' which sold me on the whole thing originally. I mean, with somebody standing behind you with a broom, why not?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 6:27 pm   Permalink

Since I have to be in town Friday night, I figure I'll hang out for a few hours on Saturday morning till I have to hit the road again. Didn't get quite as much work done as I would have liked this weekend.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 7:58 pm   Permalink

Yay! Kate's in too!

Sounds like we will not be in a parking lot, most likely on grass, Clint said he would bring rakes and trash cans and any chips can go in his truck, I'm gonna bring a few tarps to make it that much easier.

No pop-ups provided, we should bring a couple in case we need them, it may or may not be shady from trees where we are at.

I agree with Cammo, the faster guys (4WD, Clysdalle, Buzzy and even Mr. NoNaMe) will be able to really show some good progress fast, I figure I'll hang out and carve cause I'd just be doing that at home anyway.

Any other things I should ask?

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 8:09 pm   Permalink

I've got an EZ-up that is available for all SD area chopping events, whether or not I am able to attend, but I drive a VW Bug and... are you done laughing?

I'll wait...

OK, so if somebody local can pick it up at my shop, that's a whopping ten square feet if shade!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 9:14 pm   Permalink

I'll bring my down also......so that is 10 more feet...

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 9:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

, so Erik and Bill for the BBQ lunch?

I need the chainsaw demo, not the food. I'll just have a beer for lunch, I am on a diet anyway.
I never paid attention in class when 4WD and Clyse were chainsawing. Now that I have a chainsaw I need to pay attention.

Bill and Dave should get the food.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-08-20 21:36 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-21 01:30 am   Permalink

Just got my schedule, on location on saturday, can't make it but is this going to be the chop-chop for August or will there be another I might be able to make?

Same as it ever was! (But what looms on the horizon, hmm?)

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation