FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Luau, Fresno, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Luau, Fresno, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-22 5:05 pm   Permalink

Nice find on the Stockton Luau, Abstract. Have you got any other information on this new place yet?

Here is another matchbook from the Leilani that does not have the Luau advertised. Makes on think that the Leilani preceded the Luau.

The menu

Of course copied from the old Trader Vic's men.

A napkin

Saw this lighter on ebay that advertises the Dunn Brothers.

And photos of the old Leilani sign from the internet.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-01 9:56 pm   Permalink

That's a great sign and that lighter is an outstanding artifact. I searched and searched, followed several leads, made some calls but never could find any more info on the Stockton location. I really love that Luau sign, next time I'm in Fresno I'm definitely going to check it out.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 12:09 pm   Permalink

Just saw posted on facebook by MCM Fresno that the LUAU sign is being dismantled and taken down now.

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2012-05-12 12:17 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 12:50 pm   Permalink

If there is anyone that lives in or around Fresno that can find out where this sign
is going or being dismantled..I am interested in saving it and possibly using to
re-open a tiki bar down the road .Please message me or email me please !

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 7:49 pm   Permalink

As Indiana Jones once said: "That thing belongs in a museum".

Someone should offer to hook up the sign with the MONA Museum.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 9:35 pm   Permalink

Aaw! One of the all time greats of Tiki Mod.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 4:29 pm   Permalink

I got up early this morning and canceled all my business appointments for the day.
I was prepared to drive 263 miles... approx 4 1/2 hours to see what I could do to
contribute and save this iconic sign.I called the Fresno City manager , who then
referred me to the project manager of the Fresno Historic Preservation .The owners
live in Pollardville and speak very little English.The building has been sold and the
new owners without pulling permits starting gutting the interior as well as dismantling
the sign.The city posted a notice to stop and halt all work on the building .I got
referred to a gentleman that handles commercial neon in and around Fresno and has
saved many neon historic signs and are being stored in his wherehouse in Fresno.He is
investigating for me and trying to find out where the tiki faces and the letters
were taken after they were removed .It's not looking good so far, but I am not giving
up.This would be an absolute shame if this sign is gone forever.I will post some
pics of what it looks like after the removal from this past weekend.

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 1:06 pm   Permalink

It's really disappointing when you try and put some serious effort into trying to save part
of our past and people just don't give a sh**t !The new owners have no clue about iconic
signs or what they mean to alot of people out there.Here is a pic of the sign as of two
days ago.This makes me absolutely sick !I am surprised that more TC members have not
commented on this .I will be in touch with the new owners this afternnon.

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-16 8:22 pm   Permalink

Wow, i am sad to see this sign go. I would have loved to drive down there and help you salvage it. 61surf you made a valiant effort. It sucks but these rescue/salvage operations often don't work out. The logistics, luck, timing and other complex factors are often to much to overcome.

Here is one theory as to what happened. You may have been up against a profiteer scraper or salvager without historical motives or TC credentials. The face and letters were purposely removed by someone who specifically wanted those items. He likely was a friend of the new owners or one of the construction workers. He likely got permission from a contractor or owner. If the sign was to be scrapped by the new owners they would have just cut it into small pieces with a torch and put it all in a dump bin. Someone probably figured that they could sell those items on E-bay. The whole sign was just to big to handle intact and would take to much effort for this guy so he went for the easiest most valuable parts. I would not be surprised to see the letters or tiki head to show up for sale someday.

Here is one more thing, if anyone has a Tiki salvage/rescue mission come up please let me know. I will do what ever i can to help out.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-16 10:31 pm   Permalink

Dang. I don't check this forum often. I would love to have helped, but too late now. In the future, contact me or David.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-19 12:06 am   Permalink

That is so sad it should be a hate crime.

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 12:05 am   Permalink

Here's what the replacement sign looks like - just the skeleton of the original one - only with the heart & soul ripped out.

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 05:45 am   Permalink

The daughter of the owners of the Luau and Leilani e-mailed me this photo of a black velvet painting. She said her mother has it. She said it was the inspiration for the Logo.

Compare it to the napkin posted earlier in the thread.

I assume it was hung in the Leilani. I requested more information and am waiting for a reply.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation