FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Interview with Kern Mattei of the Mai Kai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Interview with Kern Mattei of the Mai Kai
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 5:52 pm   Permalink

My business area now includes Fort Lauderdale. I am happier than a pig in slop. I can be at the Mai Kai almost every month. Funny how one of my visits will also be timed with next Hukilau. Purely coincidental I assure you.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-05 9:03 pm   Permalink

Wow...that is one tall guy there...thanks for the pic, I always love how tikis try to hide in the fauna...even that guy is trying. He looks kinda shy, but not afraid to side by a towering palm.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Jim & Jennifer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-11 1:22 pm   Permalink

Pablus, sorry you missed "Take 5" this year. I truly enjoyed your rum soaked interviews and hope to join you for the October event. Thanks for causing the rousing debates. Do you have a specific date set? I look forward to being on the front row...I'll hold your drink while you play.

View Profile of Jungle Jim & Jennifer Send a personal message to Jungle Jim & Jennifer  Email Jungle Jim & Jennifer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-11 7:50 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC JJ&J....great first post!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 7:51 pm   Permalink

Greetings Jungle Jim, long time!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 05:18 am   Permalink

If you coat wood tikis in fiberglass resin, then put them in an autoclave (high pressure heated chamber) then top coat them once a year with polyurethane, they will last forever even in Florida weather. It would be cheaper than casting or recarving. Even slightly rotted tikis could be preserved this way.

Tiki Bill.

View Profile of Tiki Bill Send a personal message to Tiki Bill  Email Tiki Bill Goto the website of Tiki Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Jim & Jennifer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-12 07:11 am   Permalink

Thanks for the greeting Vampiress and BenZ! As you can see from the date of my TC membership and the number of postings since I've been remiss in that department (job related time thing!) Hopefully I'll be more active now. BenZ: I still haven't finished my carving from Coontiki yet...he's looking more like a kindly old jewish guy..I gotta send you a pic, you'll bust a gut...Jennifer named him Moari Fishkind. Maybe I should add some color?! Thank goodness I have your original carving. It's in a place of honor in our tiki hut. (where's my pic Swanky??)
Giving Jennifer her due here's a pic that goes with my previous posting from the 03 Hukilau..haven't missed one since.

View Profile of Jungle Jim & Jennifer Send a personal message to Jungle Jim & Jennifer  Email Jungle Jim & Jennifer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-13 11:34 am   Permalink

Another fabulous picture....hope you aren't getting carpal tunnel there.

I am soooo in love with that Moai....wouldn't he make a cute mug!!!!

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 11:24 am   Permalink

I had an interesting conversation with wplugger about one of the molds from the Mai Kai. He picked up a mold and inside the mold was newspaper (being used as as shim or cushion). He didn't think much about it till he was done removing the paper from the mold. It essentially disintegrated as he was removing it and just tossed it to the side. After a minute or two he went back to the paper to see if it was dated. It was!! The paper was dated some time in 1956 - the same year that the Mai Kai opened!!! The big question we had was - did the original purchase of the tikis come with a mold? Was this common practice for such a large order (there are around 75+/- molds in storage)? Can anyone answer this or do a little urban archeology on this subject. Orignally Will and I thought the molds were made in the 70's - however the presence of this newspaper has changed everything.

Will - chime in on this.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-11 13:22, Jungle Jim & Jennifer wrote:

Well I'll be. It's good ol' Jungle Jim. How've you been? Good to see the photos you posted and to hear you are havin' a good tiki time down there in FL. Get busy and finish your Coon tiki Benzart assignment !!!!! Have you ever looked at the thread containing all of the pictures from the carving seminar? Good stuff. Say hi to Tony for me OK? Your friend, 8FT Tiki

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-31 1:20 pm   Permalink

Some of the local ohana gathered at Will's place to 'decorate' some of the new Tikis for the Mai-Kai. Of course we all were excited by the invitation because who among us does not want to walk through the gardens and point at one of the Tikis and say "I painted that one!"

And the rest of the Flickr Set

http://www.flickr.com/gp/9033145@N03/S3SxMp

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-01 06:25 am   Permalink

Nice job gang! You're giving a lot of those a good bit of texture and depth with the way you're applying the paint and they look really good. I had no idea there were this many different carvings once on the Mai-Kai grounds. Amazing.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-01 06:34 am   Permalink

Wow! That looks like it was a real blast.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-01 10:48 am   Permalink

Great work.
They look really good.
I'm sure Will is grateful for the help.

Can't wait to see them in place, with a drink in my hand, and lots of time to stroll, and a drink in my other hand.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-01 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-01 10:48, pablus wrote:
....Can't wait to see them in place, with a drink in my hand, and lots of time to stroll, and a drink in my other hand.

Pablus, you will be pleased to know that we are converting the spare bathroom into a genetic lab (long story, I'll share sometime over Mai-Tais...) and the first major project is a retractable third arm so you can carry a drink in one hand, carry a drink in the other hand, and still have one hand free to hold a drink.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.

The first experiment on a monkey worked really well. At least until the little bugger figured out he could climb the cage and fling poo at the same time....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation