FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Interview with Kern Mattei of the Mai Kai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Interview with Kern Mattei of the Mai Kai
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-04 1:52 pm   Permalink

Will sent us all home that weekend with homework.....

Andy spent the morning working on another one of the tikis....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 06:12 am   Permalink

I got to tell you these guys showed up like troopers.
They brought paint,brushes,beer wine & fruit. I love guests who have to knock with their elbows because their hands are full.
To top it off, they know how to paint.
I am glad to get the help. I've admitted I'm no painter, but if this restaurant gig doesn't work out for Kern he may have a future as a painter. check out this.

There are plenty more coming so we can use more painters.
Will

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-05 5:54 pm   Permalink

Took this picture in Kern's office last Hukilau. Been meaning to post it in my blog, but this is a good place.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-06 12:29 pm   Permalink

That's a great shot of Kern! He certainly looks happy and relaxed, so it must be at the end of the day.

And congrats and mahaloz to the painting team! Can't wait to see your work for myself!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-26 08:56 am   Permalink

Thanks to Will who also gave us some painting homework...a real sweet casted tiki. A little chiseling and fileing then Stump Grinder went to work on painting him all up. Cant wait to see him in the Gardens with his brothers where he belongs. We will deliver him to Kern this weekend.

Thanks again to Will for letting us in on this great restoration project.

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2007-11-26 08:57 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 7:11 pm   Permalink

The conflict in this thread about the color scheme is now totally moot.
Some folks took it upon themselves to mute/age Will's tikis.

See for yourself
HERE.

Will has expressed that the only tikis he'll be painting from this point forward are the ones he keeps for his own display.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2008-01-01 19:55 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 7:39 pm   Permalink

Mute or moot, I will keep on harping on it, as I see it as my mission to battle the childish urge for garish Tiki painting. If they don't want to have the Mai Kai gardens look like Mexican fiesta grounds, they better stick to the earthen tones of the original tribal art. Some enthusiasts seem to have succeeded more with that, others not so.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 8:57 pm   Permalink

I feel a 2008 version of Lord of the Flys coming on.....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-01 20:57, RevBambooBen wrote:
I feel a 2008 version of Lord of the Flys coming on.....

or clash of the titans

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 09:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-01 19:39, bigbrotiki wrote:
Mute or moot, I will keep on harping on it, as I see it as my mission to battle the childish urge for garish Tiki painting. If they don't want to have the Mai Kai gardens look like Mexican fiesta grounds, they better stick to the earthen tones of the original tribal art. Some enthusiasts seem to have succeeded more with that, others not so.

:{:{:{:{:{:{:> Those with paint brushes in hand have angered thy 'Tiki God' please step away from the paint bucket and put your brush in the upright position....
Officer take them away !!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 10:20 am   Permalink

Obviously, these casts NEED to be painted, so it is not a question of IF, but HOW. Quoting Terrence Barrow again: "Harsh colors will detract from the sculptural qualities of a piece.."

(I just found this on Buzzy's last "Tiki Finds" post, and am adding it to give a little more weight to the quote above)

Yes, as opposed to Polynesian art, original Papua New Guinea carvings did use paint quite a bit, so it is not wrong to do so in that case. And it might seem ridiculous to cry "wrong!" about a pop culture that is based on fakery. But in classic midcentury Tiki style, carvers had the science of making a painted piece look ancient down to a T. Bright, glossy, monochrome painting destroys any sense of mystery the object might exude...we all WANT to believe in the dream of the lost paradise of the South Seas, helping that is the premise.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-02 16:09 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 4:27 pm   Permalink

The above is meant as a general warning and reminder, and not as a personal critique of individuals and their efforts. All I try to do here on TC is continue my work in sharing my experience as a visual archaeologist, and do so by (hopefully benevolently) nudging and prodding people to SEE, and appreciate good classic and modern Tiki style, and THINK and hopefully ACT to preserve it, instead of just CONSUME. I want to be perceived as big brother Tiki, not as a Tiki god.

I am happy to say that my worries about the Mai Kai Tiki population have been put at ease by a recent p.m. It does appear that there are some sensitive souls in the group of volunteers that care for Tiki and are doing good work on the new generation of statues being churned out now, they even put considerable effort into aging the already cemented-in first generation, which apparently was not easy. I just want to say I am very grateful, and please realize that I am just an art critic in my ivory tower, not in the mosquito infested swamps of the Mai Kai jungle.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 6:54 pm   Permalink

I do not think the browns are right. Any old piece of work will be gray. Any wood once its out in the elements is gray. Just look around the Mai Kai gardens! That looks right for something indoors, but not in the gardens.

Tiki Calendar for 2008

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2008-01-03 08:47 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 8:02 pm   Permalink

Here's a trick for you--get a graining tool from your local DIY super store--or better yet, your local art supply shop. Use a lighter color as a base (yellowish) and then apply a natural wood color brown glaze and then pull your graining tool through it--get a book on it, there are many.

Otherwise--looks great and I know you guys are having a blast!! Wish I was there!!

Here's an example--I've done this a few times before but these examples are not mine:

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 07:31 am   Permalink

Okay, I want to make sure I don't sound like a blowhard ass here. I am all for the work you guys are doing. It does look great. I like the natural paint colors.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation