FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving my first palm tiki - finally dried
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
my first palm tiki - finally dried
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-10 2:08 pm   Permalink

still not positive on this log, but its looking more like hackberry to me with these latest pics, all the hackberry I've worked with at all, even fairly young fresh cut healthy trees, have a pale white almost grayish look to the wood as opposed to the more common yellowish glow of most white woods, and also hackberry has medium gray spots in it, big streaks or blobs of grey that just seem randomly distributed thru the log. you might check out my thread ive got a hackberry Ku going with more greenish spalting at the ends and a bit of the grey black streaks like yous in it thru the middle but if yours has large random areas of gray like the sides of my Ku's chin it may just be hackberry.

oh by the way looking good, can't wait to see all that spalting all cleaned up.

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-11 1:10 pm   Permalink

Does the wood have small holes, about 1/4 of a inch, running throughout the piece? If it does then it may be ambrosia. If not then it's definitely spalted.... maple? If it's spalted then it's a great find and much sought after type of wood due to it's grain color. Your tiki is coming along great and has a nice outline. Leave the sanding and detail to the last though. Keep up the great work and look forward to it being finished.

IF you post a pic of the leaf then we will definitely know what type of tree it is.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilizard 2009-08-11 13:11 ]

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-11 9:30 pm   Permalink

Looking sharp both of those guys coming along great.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 10:18 am   Permalink

Hey BigT, its what all carvers gon through in the beginning, Carve Deep they are told and they think they are caarving All the way through the log when they are only barely scratching the surface. Your current piece is looking pretty deep but in time you will find yourself even going deeper. Don't sweat it for it Will Come. Pretty soon we will be telling you to "Leave a bit MORE Meat on" for that is how far it will go. You are doing Great and ar Far ahead of where I was even at 30 or more tikis.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 08:50 am   Permalink

Domin: I think you may be right about the Hackberry. There's plenty of it around here. I knew what it was when I put this log up but have since forgotten. Thanks for the comps.

Tikilizard: Thanks a bunch. Nope, no small holes. Plenty of large ones though as you can see from the pic below. Oh, this log was cut and debarked a long time ago so no more leaves around.

Seeks: Thanks man. Did some more work on the eyes and face.

Ben: Yep, you guys have been telling me to carve deeper for several carves now. Don't worry, I'm trying and hopefully getting better at it. I appreciate all the pointers!

Worked some more on the face. It has a real heavy set look that I kinda like. A bold look. I still have to put some decorations on the helmet.

Discovered a fair amount of damage as I go deeper on the back. Maybe I'll be able to cut through these bug channels and there will be solid wood underneath. I hope so. Any suggestions if there isn't?? I want to stain this dude a light color so I don't know how wood filler repairs might look on this guy. Luckily, it's on the back and not the front.

Thanks all for the input!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 09:35 am   Permalink

just a couple of old war wounds picked up on raiding trips. gotta get a wife, right? good work t.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-13 09:40 am   Permalink

Hey BigT, it looks good. They make this stuff called plastic wood made by DAP. It takes a stain well but you can still tell its there when used on larger holes. I usually leave the holes, just coat the inside of the hole with the stain. Makes the tiki look more old and ancient. Give it some character. I wouldn't do that on a museum type piece, but the ones I make for myself or my friends I just work with the imperfections. In fact one guy that I carve for actually prefers the holes and cracks. He says it it adds that antique looking quality. Keep the chips a flying.

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 11:20 am   Permalink

Noooooo.... Don't use a filler! It won't match the original color of the wood when stained. Unless you are going to paint it. Leave the tiki as close to the original wood as you can. The holes on the back side are just fine just smooth them out when you sand him down or add a chisel texture to the tiki that comes close to the holes. I think tiki's look good with a crack or blemish.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 06:31 am   Permalink

I Agree, no fillers, they just fall out anyway and the holes will Always Look filled.
The bug that makes those tunnels in the wood are some type of beetle larvae/worm and look like a big Hammerhead type thing on the end of a fat worm. Most likely they are still inside the log chewing away and will emerge some day. Easiest way to kill'em is to let the log spend a day or 2 in a freezer. probably not a big deal though. Lookin good!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomolos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 05:50 am   Permalink

That spalting looks excellent, great looking tiki, did you do anything to treat any borers that may still be inside?

View Profile of nomolos Send a personal message to nomolos      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-23 05:50, nomolos wrote:
That spalting looks excellent, great looking tiki, did you do anything to treat any borers that may still be inside?

No, didn't treat it. Didn't like the idea of carving into a log that's been soaked with insecticide. Nor do I have a freezer large enough to freeze em. Was just hoping to carve em out as I went along. Any remaining beetles will just have to be sealed up in there when I finish it up.

Switched gears and started working on this guy again. Carving is all finished up and have the first coat of stain on.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 12:22 pm   Permalink

Great face BigT, and I really like the simple body lines. Looks like you
have some nice grain in this one.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 3:08 pm   Permalink

great detail, love the face, very nice!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomolos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-26 07:23 am   Permalink

Looks fantastic any more updated pics? I love that stain what is it?

View Profile of nomolos Send a personal message to nomolos      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 06:22 am   Permalink

Conga: thanks! Yes the grain does look kinda nice now that it's stained. I'm not usually a fan of pine grain so I had meant to cover this all up. Although I don't have quite the staining skills I might attempt to leave a little showing through now.

Queen: thanks, appreciate the comps. Just kiddin ya about your sink ya know!

Nomolos: thanks, the stain is MinWax Red Elm. It's a gel stain. I don't think they have the color available in the regular stains. I'm finding the gel stain wasn't quite as helpful as I thought it would be. Maybe should have used wood conditioner plus gel stain. This pic doesn't really show the color that well. I'll try to drag this thing out of the garage for some better pics.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation