FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving BigT's Tiny Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
BigT's Tiny Tikis
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 10:55 am   Permalink

El Stingray, Laojioa - thanks for the kind words.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 10:59 am   Permalink

Well this sucks. I just got this flexcut chisel in November. I carved one 2ft tiki in pine and started a new one this weekend, then *plink*. This happened.

As you can see, the cutting edge is not bent, warped, or abused. Nor is the handle. Am I being too rough with it? I'm using a urethane mallet with it. This is one of Flexcut's "Power Handle" chisels. Note, it's not a mallet handle but still. I don't see how a chisel this large can be pushed.

Should I send this back to flexcut and see what happens?

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 4:29 pm   Permalink

hell yeah!!! i would!! thats hard earnd mny right there and they are supposed to be the best not just the sharpest!!! cheerz!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-25 7:25 pm   Permalink

Yep, send it back, I use the hand-held one with a mallet all the time and haven't bust one out yet, so definitively a defective one.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 7:42 pm   Permalink

that's one think i've noticed about flexcut. my older chisels and my english made ones all have full, round tangs. flexcut has a thinner, flat tang. they still shouldn't break and i'm sure they'll take care of you.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-26 09:09 am   Permalink

Thanks guys for the chisel input. Yep, Flexcut's mallet chisels are supposedly 20% thicker than these Power Handle models but still probably not as strong as my Pfeils.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-26 09:41 am   Permalink

The stregnth of any chisel is in the vertical line (end to end). The Flecut power chisel blades are strong but if you try prying the wood out of your cuts you are putting pressure on the weaker aspect of the metal. Flexcut may replace it?? If you have a large investment in the blades I suggest getting a power chisel head (Wecheer) - the blades fit that handle nicely. Plus the power chisel allows faster cuts with less applied pressure.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-26 10:34 am   Permalink

If they claim you can use the Power Carver chisel for mallet use, you may have something there.

I know with Woodcraft, they guarantee any product whether or not the company does.
I had a couple weak chisels that they happily replaced for me.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-26 1:26 pm   Permalink

woodcraft has replaced electric tools for me with no questions asked. they even seemed like they were sorry a wecheer had broken.

the wecheer chisel handpiece is great. i have that and the flexcut tips. too bad my shaft broke in my flexshaft and the handpiece doesn't fit my new one.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 12:38 pm   Permalink

Well here's the update on the broken Flexcut. Woodcraft offered to replace the entire kit with a new one, however my store doesn't carry this particular kit anymore. So Flexcut replaced it with a refurbished tool. I'm pretty impressed with the reponse. It just came in today exactly one week from the time I put it in the mailbox!

The edge isn't quite as straight as my old, practically new one was....

But they did include a sweet new catalog!

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-15 08:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-06 12:58, TheBigT wrote:
So here's the finished pics after re-sanding, staining, finishing. Still darker than I intended it to be, but I just got tired of sanding this dude!

This is a BEAUTIFULLY finished piece. The photos here do not do it justice. I'm glad I got to meet him in person.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-15 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

This is a BEAUTIFULLY finished piece. The photos here do not do it justice. I'm glad I got to meet him in person.

Hey amate, thank you. Much appreciated. Now I think you owe us some photos over on your thread you've been holding onto.

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-15 7:41 pm   Permalink

god i luv that guy!!! mucho props again!!! cheerz big t!! p.s. good deal on the chisel!!

[ This Message was edited by: BIG tiki scott 2010-02-15 19:42 ]

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 2:57 pm   Permalink

BTScott - thanks again!

Been working on another cannibal guy. Just about have him roughed out. Other than that, just waitin on spring and daylights savings time!

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 3:51 pm   Permalink

Off to a great start!

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation