FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving my first palm tiki - finally dried
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
my first palm tiki - finally dried
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 10:56 am   Permalink

I can see you going deeper and deeper with every feature that needs to pop out a bit more. That is one Hard piece of wood and you Definitely have it under control. He's looking Excellent.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben! Even this isn't quite as deep as need for the circles around the eyes, but I think I'll stop there and try to go deeper on the next one.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
buzzard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 6:37 pm   Permalink

big t this guy looks cool!
dont worry about the cracks,once you stain him
it will look like a vintage tiki

View Profile of buzzard Send a personal message to buzzard  Email buzzard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 2:21 pm   Permalink

buzzard: Thanks for the comps! There's a giant crack in each side of this thing that I was worried about. A couple of weeks ago I heard this wood splitting sound after making a cut. I thought the whole thing was gonna fall apart into kindling!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 12:16 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone! Finally got this one almost done. Stain is on, just needs to be finished. Like a dummy, I didn't take any pics just before I put the stain on Saturday night. I was hurrying to get it stained so I could finish it on Sunday and of course it still wasn't dry Sunday!

The photos are taken inside so they're kinda crappy.

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 12:18 pm   Permalink

very cool!

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 12:23 pm   Permalink

t, like i said before, really cool. love all the cracks. he's very peaceful or drunk, either way very cool.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 1:43 pm   Permalink

EXCELLENT !

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 2:59 pm   Permalink

Nice! Love the color looks like maple or walnut?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-25 3:37 pm   Permalink

Nice looking piece of wood that really complements your carved geometry. I like the interplay between the wavy wood grain and your simple and stark line work on the face. And I really like the scalloping designs on the back.

Cheers!

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 4:13 pm   Permalink

Awesome

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-25 6:37 pm   Permalink

This tiki doesn't look like a decorative item, it looks like a real, functional temple image. It reminds me a bit of some of the melanesian door jambs in the men's houses. The cracks and natural shading of the stained wood give it a wonderful sense of being "the real thing".

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 7:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for the kinds words everyone, gino, queenK, benella, drasticW.

seeks: Great guess. Damn you're good! It's Sweetgum, stained with 3 parts black walnut, 2 parts golden oak, and 1 part red mahogany.

kountzyro: thanks so much for the comps. All that stuff u mentioned was mostly luck!

Marcus: much appreciated. The inspiration for this comes from the pic below, which is a New Guinea, middle Sepik River, shield. And a huge tip of the hat to bigbro and Tiki Modern.

This shield made a trip from the Museum of Primitive Art in New York to the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston for a one month exhibition in 1959. The photo is from that exhibition.

[ This Message was edited by: TheBigT 2011-03-06 17:39 ]

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 11:52 pm   Permalink

Under penalty of rehearsal, I said nice, very nice, the crack and the expression gives charm.The all around carving makes very complete...
In other post was said full of right things, you can be proud of your work Big Big T!!!

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 12:41 pm   Permalink

Well, I guess it's time to sweep off the dust and cobwebs on this thread once again! Here's a new one I started last month. This is about a 5 1/2' piece of loblolly pine. It's from one of the neighbor's trees knocked down in Hurricane Ike. I have a couple like this from my own trees waiting in line.

This pic at the bottom is the neighbor's house where the log came from, though not one of the trees pictured.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation