FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving BigT's Tiny Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
BigT's Tiny Tikis
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 7:45 pm   Permalink

Conga, Laojia, thanks so much for looking in!

Drastic: haven't been anywhere along the coast since the hurricane. Yep, I keep hearing there's so much wood laying around down there. And now with galveston cutting all the dead trees.... It would be really cool to load up a trailer full of trees but that stuff only last so long around here before it's full of bugs or dry rot...

Here's the new Dremel Multi Mate I picked up. So far, so good!

The detail sanding head. Working pretty good. The sandpaper for this is kinda steep. Hopefully it lasts long time.

The wood saw attachment. It's pretty cool too but still getting used to it. Not sure how handy it's gonna be for carving....

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 05:17 am   Permalink

Your new Dremel looks great, I was wondering about that attachment for carving too, please let us know how it works. Looks great so far.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 6:46 pm   Permalink

That sucker is alot bigger looking than my D.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-13 19:45, TheBigT wrote:
The detail sanding head. Working pretty good. The sandpaper for this is kinda steep. Hopefully it lasts long time.

I've had a couple pieces where I used about $25 worth of sandpaper on them. If I use all mouse sander pieces, I usually shell out about $8-15 worth on a more finely finished piece. Sucks to pay out all those material costs! Overhead's a killer...

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-27 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-16 22:21, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-07-13 19:45, TheBigT wrote:

I've had a couple pieces where I used about $25 worth of sandpaper on them. If I use all mouse sander pieces, I usually shell out about $8-15 worth on a more finely finished piece. Sucks to pay out all those material costs! Overhead's a killer...

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy: I agree 100 percentile!

So... I put aside the last carving for a while to start another one. This one's a little smaller, about 42" I think. Anyone have a clue what type of wood this is?? I thought it was oak when I put it aside a year and half ago. It's been sitting under my car port since then. Was all that weird grain pattern caused by water/humidity?? It's very white and soft to carve. Some dry rot in places.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-27 8:56 pm   Permalink

t
kinda looks like a pine log i have on my front porch. i picked it up on the side of the road and it was already dried out. haven't had a chance to cut into it to see if i have that cool moldy grain like you have.

as for dead wood in galveston, the company that was cutting down the trees was planning on giving it away but the city and attorneys stepped in and claimed too much liability with the public, trees and chainsaw and they put a stop to the giveaway. sucks. if you hear different let me know.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-27 9:07 pm   Permalink

TBT, all that spaulting will look really cool once it's sanded and finished, guaranteed. You don't see that too often. Nice start!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 05:58 am   Permalink

Nice progress , looking forward to seeing the outcome.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 06:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-27 21:07, Aaron's Akua wrote:
TBT, all that spaulting will look really cool once it's sanded and finished, guaranteed. You don't see that too often. Nice start!

AA!! Spalting - dude thanks! I didn't know what that was! Still don't know what type of wood this is. I'm sure it's something local to me like water oak, pine, hackberry, etc.

The last time I saw this was on a piece of pecan a couple of years ago. The tree was already dead for a year and a half before we cut it down. Then, like a dope, I left a bunch of it intended for carving locked up in the back of my truck which has a hardtop cover on the bed. When I opened it up, the wood was all moldy and had chunks of fungus growing all over it!

You can see some of the effects here on this pic that shows dark lines that look like stains and also remnants of the mold in the deeper saw marks. And notice how the wood is really, really white.

Cap'n Pharaoh
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-28 07:21 am   Permalink

Looks Like your well on your way with that carve, great wood.
I personally prefer found woods as the crazy limbs, knots, mold, borers, termites just adds to the character of the carve, and in my opinion helps to shape what the tiki will be and helps you to develop better carving in the future.
I bought a milled log once...and i stared at it for weeks ...the tiki just wasn't there.

View Profile of Cap'n Pharaoh Send a personal message to Cap'n Pharaoh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 1:03 pm   Permalink

TBT, here's some insight from Mr. Benzart a long while back:

Quote:

On 2006-03-08 10:53, Benzart wrote:
Spaulting is the term used for the coloring that wood gets as it is drying out. Usually is is only greyish streaks running through the wood, but some woods develop a Beautiful coloring made up of reds, yellows, blues and greens all in various shades. You can never tell what the pattern will be. It happens when mold spores begin the deterioration process of the wood. the spaulting gets deeper and covers more of the wood as time goes on, until the piece of wood is no longer good...

My advice is if you stain this piece, use a light stain that will enhance the grain, or maybe even a clear coat. You might want to save a few chips and experiment first. Good luck - nice log.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 07:15 am   Permalink

Still working on the spalted log (oak??).

There's the tall boy in the back still waiting, sadly, for finishing...

Of course there's a crack right thru the face! ugh.

Thanks for looking. Comments, help, suggestions, welcome!!

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 08:15 am   Permalink

Great start. Go deeper with your cuts. I heard a rumor that wood goes all the way through to the other side of most logs.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-10 08:39 am   Permalink

Hey Big T your carves are great. That wood looks just like some spalted hickory I have lying around here after the storm. I do agree with the previous post about making your cuts deeper. It really makes the wood pop. But your style is great.

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 09:17 am   Permalink

AlohaS, Bali_Dan: Yes, I'm striving to carve deeper and overcome some natural hesitancy not to. I don't think the pics show that very well - this piece of wood is so pale it's hard to see any depth at all. And maybe that's your point? Thanks!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation