FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events FOM New England: Rum Tasting Party- 10/13/07
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
FOM New England: Rum Tasting Party- 10/13/07
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 7:03 pm   Permalink

Well, I've got the list of rums nailed down. After discussing things with Bargoyle, I decided to take a tiki-centric angle to this tasting. So I did a bunch of research today in work (don't tell), a bunch of thinking, and then hit the Beachbum's books, my Trader Vic book, and my Donn The Beachcomber book. After all this, I lined up an assortment of rums to help explore the history of rums used in tiki drinks. A few non-tiki rums are mixed in that will walk us through the history of rum and hopefully help understand the choices made by the old great tiki bartenders.

Finally, at the end, we'll taste a number of rums which are not tiki at all but are some spectacular rums chosen to show what can be done with a bit of molasses, the right yeast, the right barrel, and the Caribbean climate.

Right now the list is 14 rums long, and may grow to 15.

The general outline of the tasting:

I'll begin by passing out some papers with key information. Choice articles on rum, important web sites, book recommendations, notes on tastes that can be found in rum, a sheet for scratching down tasting notes for each of the rums, and a "cheat sheet" of what tastes you might find in each particular rum.

We'll then explore some history of sugar cane, its impact on the islands, the "discovery" of fermented molasses, and the impact of THAT on the islands and New England. We'll explore some of the processes involved in making rum - making sugar, fermenting the molasses, distillation methods, aging methods and blending. And then we'll discuss my opinions on how to taste rum, the effects of ice and water and time and the glass.

We'll then begin to taste rum.

Each rum will be approached with some interesting history and factoids, and some understanding (and hypotheses) on its impact on tiki drinks. The rums will be tasted in an order that builds knowledge, both for the brain and the taste buds.

Amongst all these rums I will digress quite often, since I'm known to do that, and it will be entertaining since I'm full of useless cra... trivia.

Finally, at the end, we'll sip some premium rums while exploring the aging process - particularly the casks and their effects on the rum, but we'll once again discuss different aging and blending methods.

And then, subject to the mercy of Onkonkuluku University, everyone will be awarded certificates establishing their credentials in the mysterious science of Rumology.

And the Bargoyle will make us all Spindrifts....

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 7:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

All of the Mayor's samples will be Bacardi Silver.....all 15 of them!

I got a down payment on a headache just from reading this!!!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 10:42 am   Permalink

PLease note that the tasting has been moved to the 13th!!

And the start time pushed up a bit (2pm pre-show cocktails...3.30 tasting starts)

Hope everyone can still make it.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 2:05 pm   Permalink

Bummer, I'm out. No rum for me - gotta work this weekend and finish da newest mural!
Have fun having rum.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 2:12 pm   Permalink

That's OCTOBER 13th!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 4:52 pm   Permalink

sheeesh, I am a stupid f*#k.... I guess I can go after all. I guess... if I'm not dead!
LOL what a dope.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 5:07 pm   Permalink

I still can't go. And I'm sad.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 6:21 pm   Permalink

Carl, what if we start thinking about Rumology 201 at your place? (I don't mean to invite all of us to your house, but you did offer last week...)

And if not Rum, what about a night of "Weird Tiki Ingredients"? Perhaps we could get folks to bring over some falernums, orgeat from various places and maybe homemade, the same for passion fruit syrup, Pearl Diver's Mix, and other such odd ingredients? Even the stranger liquors and liqueurs, like Maraschino and Parfait Amour? I think it would be quite interesting to sample different brands of such ingredients, compare them, and compare some cocktails with them.

Just something to think about for a future gathering....

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 10:43 pm   Permalink

Scottes, I'd love it!

You all have a great time at Rumology 101, and as always, have several for me, and I'll contact you with some possible dates for Rumology 201 or "Rum North"

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-09-12 22:52 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 12:09 pm   Permalink

Right now I'm in! I don't think Miss will be able to come so I'm definitely crashing at your place Bargoyle! I know my track record there so driving isn't a really good idea.

Scottes - this sounds awesome man! Thanks for taking the time to put together the tasting.

Hey maybe you could theme a 301 party around classic food? And of course working in the best drink to complement each dish. Could be kind of a pot luck setup and everyone contributes a certain dish. Just a thought.

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 12:12 pm   Permalink

I think that's a great idea. I was flipping through Taboo Table last night. Rumaki... Mai Tai Pie... Absolutely a good idea!

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-20 6:44 pm   Permalink

There's still a few spots open for the tasting. Grab em quick.

Unlimited seating for the after-tasting party!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-20 7:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha! I have a couple of friend's from work that have indicated they're VERY interested in coming to the rum tasting (and the after party too of course). I should have an answer from them by the weekend.

I can't wait until this event! I'll be bringing my custom GH axe with me. I'm assuming there will be some rocking going on. And yes, I've been saving my quarters:)

John

Quote:

On 2007-09-20 18:44, Bargoyle wrote:
There's still a few spots open for the tasting. Grab em quick.

Unlimited seating for the after-tasting party!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-21 10:51 am   Permalink

Oh, there WILL be rocking out.

And perhaps a bit more as well.

As usual, I've got a few surprises.

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2007-09-24 12:15 ]

tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-24 10:56 am   Permalink

I will be there!

-Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation