Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Disney In Hawaii
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Disney In Hawaii
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 12:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-23 10:27, Hakalugi wrote:
It just needs some Tikis from the defunct Hawaiiana Hotel.

Now that would be nice, but I doubt they're ever gonna do that. Though I am sure that many Disney artists wanted to have Tikis in there, they, Disney, because of who they are, will have to tiptoe around the political incorrectness of Tikis in their resort in Hawaii. It would simply be a slam dunk for native Hawaiian organizations to find Disney messing with their ancient religious icons on their "own turf", at least in Disney style, it's like asking for protests.
If at all, they will have them as authentic reproductions, museum style, with politically correct descriptions. (Kinda like the Hawaiiana Hotel ones )

This is not a value judgment for either side, just a theory on the realities of the situation. Then again, I might be wrong. But I am very curious if even the word "Tiki" will get mentioned.

...AS I just remembered I had already remarked on Page 1 of this thread.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-23 12:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-01-23 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-23 12:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-23 10:27, Hakalugi wrote:
It just needs some Tikis from the defunct Hawaiiana Hotel.

If at all, they will have them as authentic reproductions, museum style, with politically correct descriptions. (Kinda like the Hawaiiana Hotel ones )

Exactly! Notice I didn't say Tikis like the ones at the Hawaiiana, but actually from the Hawaiiana. It could be a loophole to avoid complaints. But then again, I suppose some sourpuss would still object.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 1:43 pm   Permalink

Most likely, the resort will have Tiki.
However, the Tiki will be Lilo & Stitch Tiki:

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 4:04 pm   Permalink

I think that this quote from the press release:

Quote:
Disney Senior Vice President Joe Rohde said Tuesday that "aulani" means "the place that speaks for the great ones" or "the place that speaks with deep messages."

Quote:
We want this resort destination to reflect the vibrant culture that surrounds it. The name ‘Aulani’ expresses a connection to tradition and deep story-telling — and its roots are here in this land,” said Joe Rohde

gives you some insight into what approach they're taking with this hotel. It's not called Disney's Hawaiian Vacation Club or Disney's Old Hawaiian, like most of their Florida hotels are named.

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore 2010-01-23 16:06 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 4:39 pm   Permalink

Ah, how nice it must be to live in a bubble!

Hanford, as I assumed, that sounds like extreme cultural correctness. I am very curious if they take their efforte "to reflect the vibrant culture that surrounds it" as far as displaying Tikis, or if it will be all feather cloaks, fish hooks, gourds, and other arts and crafts stuff that has been mostly utilized for representing Hawaiian culture in the islands over the past 30 years.

If they will have god heads, they will certainly be called "ki'i", not Tikis.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 6:45 pm   Permalink

Place looks awesome!!!

( my new years reso. is working! be positive

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 11:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-23 16:04, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I think that this quote from the press release:

Quote:
Disney Senior Vice President Joe Rohde said Tuesday that "aulani" means "the place that speaks for the great ones" or "the place that speaks with deep messages."

Quote:
We want this resort destination to reflect the vibrant culture that surrounds it. The name ‘Aulani’ expresses a connection to tradition and deep story-telling — and its roots are here in this land,” said Joe Rohde

gives you some insight into what approach they're taking with this hotel. It's not called Disney's Hawaiian Vacation Club or Disney's Old Hawaiian, like most of their Florida hotels are named.

If the "Great ones" are the Kahunas, and disney is attempting to focus on tradition, hopefully they will simply emulate Pu'uhonau o Honaunau (Place of Refuge):

After all, the Tiki on the right has a happy smile!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-08-26 3:03 pm   Permalink

Water park, under construction between the resort's two towers.

More updates here:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/9366/Aloha_from_Aulani_the_newest_Disney_Vacation_Club_property

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-28 3:16 pm   Permalink

We recently went to both Mickey's Surf's Up breakfast and the Disney Hawaiian Resort Time Share Presentation...
it looks like it will be a really cool resort...
Here is blog I threw together with a few pics 'from that presentation
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=83922186&blogId=536789747

[ This Message was edited by: Pineappleman11 2010-08-28 15:18 ]

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-30 10:06 pm   Permalink

Family friendly, as opposed to the shopping mecca that Waikiki has become.
Not bad. Beware buying into the Time Share as new. If traded through RCI, one can buy a used timeshare for less.

MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 5:44 pm   Permalink

From the Disney Parks blog:

disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/progress-continues-at-aulani-with-inspiration-taking-shape-outside-and-inside/" target="_blank">http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/progress-continues-at-aulani-with-inspiration-taking-shape-outside-and-inside/

Progress Continues at Aulani, With Inspiration Taking Shape Outside and Inside

"For starters, I wanted to share a recent aerial photo of the work-in-progress on Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, Ko Olina, Hawai`i. I love this one because I think it gives you a great feeling for the beauty of the location as well as a sense of what the Resort will look like when it’s completed. In the middle of the central courtyard you can see the unusual structure that will become the lava outcropping, part of the big water play area at Aulani. The low white building taking shape to the upper left of that, down by the beach, will be the Resort’s signature `Ama `Ama restaurant.

Another part of the special Aulani guest experience will be the interior 'look' of the Resort, brought to life by the many pieces of art and décor created by local artists. Fun, joyous, unexpected pieces – modern, historic, traditional and abstract – are being created by a diverse array of remarkable creative talents."

Also on that blog (link posted above) is a video elaborating on their approach to the resort.

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-27 12:34 pm   Permalink

Another update from the Disney Parks blog:

The Mysterious Menehune Hide Throughout Aulani
disney.go.com/blog/2010/12/the-mysterious-menehune-hide-throughout-aulani/" target="_blank">http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/12/the-mysterious-menehune-hide-throughout-aulani/

"Who are these figures playfully hiding in the foliage around the site of Aulani? They might be the Menehune. According to Hawaiian legend, the little Menehune (men-neh-HOO-nay) are shy folk who come out mostly at night. They are said to be gifted, possibly magical, craftspeople and if you come across a work-in-progress bridge or canoe (as you just might, when visiting Aulani), chances are it’s the work of the Menehune.

You may not spot them right away, but when Aulani opens to guests August 29, 2011, the Menehune will be there, represented by carvings concealed throughout the resort – under tables, in the forest and hidden in corners where they are most likely to be first discovered by kids. The Menehune will have had a hand, unseen, in the construction of Menehune Bridge, the children’s interactive water and slide play area at the resort. And the legend of the Menehune will animate the Menehune Adventure Trail, an interactive journey of discovery that will bring their story to life for Aulani guests.

Along with the fun of their adventures and concealment (“like Easter eggs,” as Imagineer Joe Rohde says), the design of the Menehune statues in Aulani demonstrates the research and dedication to Hawaiian culture that the Disney Imagineers have put into the creation of the resort. Various versions of the Menehune legend depict them as mischievous elf-like characters or as a real, ancient people who lived freely on the islands before being forced into hiding by the arrival of Polynesians from Tahiti.

The legend of the real, ancient Menehune suggests that some of them found refuge on Necker Island, northwest of Kaua`i, and that their life on the island is suggested by mysterious images found in the ancient stone structures there. The Aulani Imagineering team, working with subject matter experts and reviewing the collection at the Bishop Museum of history and culture on O`ahu, took cues from the Necker Island images in designing the Menehune who will populate Aulani."

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-20 8:32 pm   Permalink

Looks like they have a good resource on board.

"Aulani's lobby, called Maka`ala, will feature a stunning wraparound mural celebrating Hawai`i's storytelling tradition, and two towering statues — gorgeous examples of an authentic centuries-old wood-carving tradition crafted by Hawaiian carver Rocky Jensen — will act as cultural greeters."
excerpt from the article in this link
disney.go.com/articles/081210_NF_FEAT_Aulani.html" target="_blank">http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/081210_NF_FEAT_Aulani.html

I wish I had the budget for a couple of Rocky's carvings.

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 11:08 am   Permalink

Don't be surprised if there's a Wyland
gift shop.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-05 17:44, MauiRose wrote:
From the Disney Parks blog:

disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/progress-continues-at-aulani-with-inspiration-taking-shape-outside-and-inside/" target="_blank">http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/progress-continues-at-aulani-with-inspiration-taking-shape-outside-and-inside/

Also on that blog (link posted above) is a video elaborating on their approach to the resort.

Six or seven towers on that property. The crescent bay beach may be crowded!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation