FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tikiphiles Unite in Austin, TX
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tikiphiles Unite in Austin, TX
Hulacat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-27 10:20 am   Permalink

September 13th works okay for us. And the next weekend too. The last weekend in September is kapu - it's the Austin City Limits Festival--right down the hill from our house! If you're coming to ACL make sure you stop by. We might have our outdoor tiki bar up and running.

View Profile of Hulacat Send a personal message to Hulacat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-11 8:58 pm   Permalink

Hey ya'll- final date is set for Aug. 2nd at our place in Austin. More details to follow soon. Hope everyone can make it!

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-12 2:12 pm   Permalink

I've got a court date at 3:00 on the 2nd, but maybe I can get there in time afterwards.....

Yeah, speeding.
And no proof of insurance (because the cop was too impatient for me to go through the expired ones also in my glove box, so even when i showed it to him, he said it was too late and that I hadn't presented proof of insurance when asked.)

Got my revenge, though.

I went around and sat before the speed trap and flashed my lights as a warning for 1/2 an hour. Prevented countless tickets

Cops caught on and caught me though, and *boy* were they pissed. Threatened to throw me in jail as a DWI (DUI in Texas) or on a "Felony Class B Misdemeanor" (?) with a $1500 bond. Made me apologize to the Sergeant (of their 4 man speed trap crew) who cracked up. "Why'd you do *that*?" he asked, trying to stifle his laughter. "Because it ruined my day, and I was trying to keep others from having their day ruined!"

Anyway, I'll hit the highway as soon as I can after I finish.
Sheepishly yours,
Felonahini

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 1:40 pm   Permalink

Hey everybody!

I've been a bad, bad girl and haven't been playing on TC that much lately. I'm getting back on track, though! I'll keep an eye on this thread...we have a growing ohana in San Antonio, and we' love to be a part of the Texas Tiki thang!

I started a group on MySpace for San Antonio tiki folks so we can keep everyone abreast of upcoming events, but anyone from Texas is welcome to join!

http://groups.myspace.com/SanTiki

stace

[url=http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=124][/ur

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-13 6:50 pm   Permalink

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I think this get-together is a great idea, and I'm going to do my best to make it. It would be great to meet up with some of the local Ohana.

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brittanie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-18 11:49 am   Permalink

We are definitely there. Kilikopela will be in town that weekend.

Formika! You are effin' crazy!

View Profile of Brittanie Send a personal message to Brittanie  Email Brittanie Goto the website of Brittanie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 9:10 pm   Permalink

Howdy and Aloha Texas ohana!
Hope ya'll can make it to our Tiki Round-up Saturday, August 2nd at 7:30pm, taking place at the Enchanted Lagoon (aka Koitiki's house) in Austin. I'm near the intersection of 45 and 1826. Please PM me for address. We'll be sharing tropical tunes, libations and a few tasty morsels poolside. We'll have a couple of door prizes from world famous/infamous Austin tiki artist Crash too. (Lovely poster art above by Crash)

If you'd like to bring any food or drink to share it'll be much appreciated, but certainly not required. Bring a swimsuit if you'd like to dip in the lagoon after a few rum barrels.

Looks like it might be a pretty big crowd. If you haven't already, please let me know if you're coming so we can have enough grog on hand! Yeehaw!

For out of town folk, here are the 4 closest hotels:
La Quinta Inn Mopac Southwest
4424 S. Mopac Expressway
512/899-3000

Heart of Texas Motel
5303 Hwy 290 W
512/892-0644

Extended Stay America
5100 Hwy 290 W
512/892-4316

Holiday Inn Express
4892 Hwy 290 W
800/467-8091

[ This Message was edited by: Koitiki 2008-07-21 14:34 ]

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 11:50 am   Permalink

Count me in!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 12:40 pm   Permalink

me & the hubby (South Sea Scotty) will be there!

p.s. you might want to change the post so people can PM you for the address...I'd hate for your home address to be accessible for all eternity on the interwebs!

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 8:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks Heelgrinder. Duly noted. Looking forward to meeting you, Austin Tiki and some of the other locals I've emailed with but not met in person yet.

heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 9:18 pm   Permalink

Hi Koitiki, we're really excited! And, this may be an odd place to announce it (or maybe not) BUT...San Antonio is about to be blessed by the Tiki gods...none other than the famous Miss TIKI KILIKI is moving here in August! Sadly, she won't be here in time to join us in Austin, but rest assured that the SA Ohana will definitely return the favor in the near future. There will definitely be some amazing Tiki adventures comin' up in SA!

I'm sure she will speak more about the move, but she did ask that I go ahead and announce it here.

[ This Message was edited by: heelgrinder 2008-07-23 21:21 ]

Hulacat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-25 07:43 am   Permalink

Aloha ya'll! The three of us are ready to get our tiki on with fellow Austin and Texas tikiphiles. Will bring previously mentioned offering of special Spring Rolls.
Hulacat, Dobrolic & Menehune

View Profile of Hulacat Send a personal message to Hulacat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 08:05 am   Permalink

Hot Dang!
This is getting to be big and fun!!!

I'm planning on settling my stupid ticket out of court, so I'll see y'all in a timely manner.

*YIPPEE*!!!!!
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 11:02 am   Permalink

Yay about Kiliki moving to Texas!! She is the Goddess of Tiki Fun! Wish she was going to be here in time for Tiki Round-up. Hopefully we'll catch her next time. Are there any cool tiki places to meet in SA? A friend said she saw something new going in here on 6th St. with big tikis out front. I have yet to check it out though. Wondering if it's the promised Trader Vic's Mai Tai Bar?? The only other tiki-ish place serving drinks here now is Hula Hut. I decided Clouseaux, the Intoxicators, Rum Barrels and Mai Tais around the pool beats fighting for standing room with the frat boys, drinking Margaritas and listening to Journey (apologies to the yacht rockers).

I'm getting psyched for the party. Thanks to all who've PM'd and responded to the thread. Keep the replies coming. I'll be going to the liquor store early next week!

The Enchanted Lagoon is looking sa-weet. We've been out there in the evenings fiddling with colored lights, torches, etc. I'm happy to report it's cooling off nicely after sunset and looking fairly exotic- for the Hill Country.

Inspired by all the water in the yard, Crash is creating some mini paintings for some of the door prizes. Something about sunken tikis... They sound awesome!

The Lagoon awaits...

heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 1:12 pm   Permalink

Yes! I am so excited!

There isn't a true tiki bar in SA at the moment, but for now the closest thing we have aside from our own place is the beautiful El Tropicano hotel on the Riverwalk:

Here's the website if you want to check it out! It's a regular stop for us, especially when we have tiki guests in town. They have a big outdoor tiki bar and live toucans, and a beautiful indoor bar with Tiki beer taps. They used to have Tiki Farm mugs but sadly have discontinued using them. It's a historical hotel that was recently (lovingly) updated, and the owner has a big dedication to its midcentury roots. It originally opened in 1962. Isn't great to hear stories of things being restored instead or torn down/made into condos?

http://www.eltropicanohotel.com/

[ This Message was edited by: heelgrinder 2008-07-26 13:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: heelgrinder 2008-07-26 13:16 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation