FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Tikiphiles Unite in Austin, TX
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tikiphiles Unite in Austin, TX
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 3:56 pm   Permalink

Woohoo! More RSVP's from MartiniTiki, Maholio, Austin Tiki and Scispy!
Heelgrinder, I could go for a little El Tropicano on the Riverwalk. We may have to try a San Antonio get together next time.

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hulacat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 10:56 pm   Permalink

If you didn't see my post with pics of El Tropicano here's the link: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28137&forum=2
We had such a great time when we stayed there we definitely want to take another road trip to stay at El Trop again. Would be fun to plan a Mai Tai gathering of the local ohana.

***SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT - Tune in for a TIKI-THEMED RADIO SHOW live in AUSTIN (yes-hard to believe)-this Wednesday, July 30 (11am-Noon CDT) on Austin's KOOP 91.7 FM! Show host "Tiki Ted" aka Dobrolic will feature an all-Hawaiian and Surf music show on his weekly program, RANCHO DEL RAY, in honor of the gathering of the Texas Tikiphiles in Austin this Saturday at “The Enchanted Lagoon."

For those south of San Marcos / east of La Grange / north of Jarrell / west of Johnson City, Rancho Del Ray can be heard live on-line streaming at: http://www.koop.org. At this time the station does not archive its programs, but hopes to add that feature soon. To learn more about Rancho, go to: http://www.koop.org/?page=schedule&section=ranchodelray Thanks for tuning in and see you Saturday night!

Hulacat

View Profile of Hulacat Send a personal message to Hulacat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 07:57 am   Permalink

Ahhhhhh, great post, Hulacat! Y'know, it never even occurred to me to look El Tropicano up on TC! DUH!

We adore El Tropicano, and it would definitely be a perfect stop for an SA gathering -- even though the best bartender has left, and the last time I got a mai tai there it was pretty bad. might have to take my own recipe next time

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-30 08:21 am   Permalink

Thanks for the heads-up, Hulacat. I'll tune in on-line.

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hulacat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-31 10:32 am   Permalink

Heelgrinder.....Speaking of Mai Tais...It's hard to find a good one. The best MTs, in my experience, were made by expert mixologist David Chan, former bartender at the original TV in DC. He made Navy Grogs for Nixon in the 70's! David and wife Anna were the owners of the now dearly departed Honolulu Restaurant in Alexandria, Virginia. After the Honolulu was closed, the Chans patented an excellent Mai Tai mix now available on their website: http://www.time2tiki.com.

Fortunately, Dobrolic makes a superb MT-which after several tasting parties-is very, very close to the Honolulu's magical elixir.

Check out the late, great Honolulu: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=939&forum=1&vpost=7078&hilite=honolulu%20restaurant,%20alexandria
Hulacat

View Profile of Hulacat Send a personal message to Hulacat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 11:39 am   Permalink

a good mai tai MIX? wow, i'd be willing to give it a shot.

everytime i make mai tais by my favorite recipe, they are really good but just ridiculously strong (right, Formika?)! which can be a good thing depending on if you don't have to drive!

last time i checked though, Terrible Bartender at El Tropicano, orange JUICE is not an ingredient in a mai tai. maybe she thinks orange juice and curacao are the same

[ This Message was edited by: heelgrinder 2008-07-31 11:42 ]

View Profile of heelgrinder Send a personal message to heelgrinder  Email heelgrinder Goto the website of heelgrinder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 5:26 pm   Permalink

That Dave & Anna's mix is very good...it's been a while since I've had it but I liked it better than Trader Vic's. Still, when made properly, nothing beats the original Mai Tai recipe.

Of course, the one thing that makes or breaks a Mai Tai is the RUM. Since I'm heading to Austin this weekend, I'll be stocking up on all the St. James Martinique I can get my hands on (it's not available anywhere in my part of TX). It's a crime that so many bars combine some kind of fruit juice with Bacardi and call it a Mai Tai. I never order them when I'm out because it's a guarantee it will be absolute crap.

Looking forward to seeing / meeting everyone on Saturday...now if we could just get this crowd to come to Dallas once a year...

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 7:36 pm   Permalink

Ted/Dobrolic- That was a killer radio show yesterday. Loved the tunes and your voice is smooth like... good sipping rum. Thanks for the shout-out about Saturday. I'm definitely going to have to check out your show again. I love all that kind of music. Every Wed 11-12 right?

Kenike- There is a Spec's very very near where you're staying, in case they have what you need.

If anyone still needs the address or other info, don't forget to PM me. I won't be checking my email very much on Saturday. Can't wait!

Aloha!

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-31 7:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-31 17:26, Kenike wrote:
Of course, the one thing that makes or breaks a Mai Tai is the RUM. Since I'm heading to Austin this weekend, I'll be stocking up on all the St. James Martinique I can get my hands on (it's not available anywhere in my part of TX).

Are you planning to take out a second mortgage first? St. James has gotten PRICEY. The last time I checked, Hors d'Age was going for $46 at Spec's. One of the local shops had it marked at $55.

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 06:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-31 19:54, Austin_Tiki wrote:
Are you planning to take out a second mortgage first? St. James has gotten PRICEY. The last time I checked, Hors d'Age was going for $46 at Spec's. One of the local shops had it marked at $55.

WHOA, that's about double what it was last time I bought it. We'll see what Specs has to offer and then I'll make a decision. It would be nice to find some Lemon Hart too.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-01 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-01 06:03, Kenike wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-07-31 19:54, Austin_Tiki wrote:

WHOA, that's about double what it was last time I bought it. We'll see what Specs has to offer and then I'll make a decision. It would be nice to find some Lemon Hart too.

They have Lemon Hart for about $18.

If you're going to buy some St. James, don't make the same mistake I did choose the Extra Old to save a few bucks. Hors d'Age is expensive, but the marginal cost difference is well worth the huge difference in taste.

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-01 07:24, Austin_Tiki wrote:
If you're going to buy some St. James, don't make the same mistake I did choose the Extra Old to save a few bucks. Hors d'Age is expensive, but the marginal cost difference is well worth the huge difference in taste.

Just don't get the cheapest of the three St. James varieties, Royal Ambre.
It doesn't deserve that St. James name!

Lately I have been using Brugal in Mai Tais, and I find it a good and affordable choice for this drink.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 4:25 pm   Permalink

The St. James Hors d'Age at the Specs in Houston was about $38, the last time I bought it.

It is soooo worth it. Just *opening* the bottle smells like "Mai Tai" to me.
Seriously.

But Tikibars, I'm glad to hear of a great substitute! Much grass!

Now, what to wear tomorrow.........????
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 5:51 pm   Permalink

Which Brugal? The Anejo?

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heelgrinder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 09:49 am   Permalink

We're getting ready to head up to Austin! I made a special CD as a gift for Koitiki and as a commemoration of our first Austin Tiki Roundup, but I will make it available for download with the cover here, so if any of you attendees like it you'll be able to get it here! I'll put it up tomorrow.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation