FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events 2008 Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
2008 Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT)
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-26 6:01 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I kinda think it was the over-abundance of non-tiki, actually. I dunno.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-27 09:10 am   Permalink

Well, I'll tell ya right now, I'm only good for running one of these things a year(and without the help I get from Pappy, it would be ZERO a year!)....with '08 being twice as big, its already starting to freak me out a little.

In the interim, we can arrange some of our Meat & Greets in the upcomming months, we'll prob have the Luau in June again (maybe....), monthly get togethers at local bars...or home bars.... ST Pats we do the local hartford parade (its just an excuse to drink on the streets) and all are welcome to that...I think Rugby is having a mardi gras party....oh, and my birthday is end of Feb, and we're going to chuck e cheese, if anyone who wants to come (cocktails before hand, of course).

The possibilities are limitless.

The only thing stopping us is ourselves.

Now as far as the Pho being tiki or not, we've got JPM as the optomist...excited for a nice event and happy to see ANY tiki in Boston (I'm with ya there).... And Scottes as the pessimist (and he's also right, the pho didnt exacly exude a tiki vibe)...so...glass half-full or half-empty?

I say fill it to the top with some rum no matter which way you're looking at it...then it doesnt matter so much.

Cheers!!

Oh, also, we're definately in for Sept. 19-21st. Those are the Official dates. Save em on your calender.

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2007-11-27 09:36 ]

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-27 1:07 pm   Permalink

Half-full or half-empty, it was a great night.

And I know it's getting close to XMas, but we should do something....

How about Dec 15th at New Tiki? Maybe I can convince Brian to let us take one of the back rooms for a rum tasting, and we can order a bunch of food and nibble and yak and sip through 8 rums, then bust out to the front for tiki drinks.

If people are up for this date, let me know, and I'll stop by New Tiki and chat things up with Brian and Sonya.

If this can happen - there are some potential legal issues here - the rums will be courtesy of the Fraternal Order Of Maoi.

FOM-RUM-XMas-Tiki, Dec 15?

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-28 08:55 am   Permalink

I can't make the 15th. If anybody wants to grab a drink on Friday, December 7th (a date which will live in Infamy), I'm free. Now that I say that, let's please keep this thread clear for Tour announcements and complaints.

Let's use this here thread for get-togethers.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16548

So... Did everybody get Bargoyle's announcement above? September 19-21 2008 is official. You may want to get some extra life insurance that week.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-28 12:18 pm   Permalink

I'm working that whole day pretty much. Otherwise, it's a capital idea, and one that I back completely. At this point, it may be easier to organize something after the holidays

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 05:53 am   Permalink

Ok, back to subject at hand.... NETT NEWS!!!!!

The Quequeg Chapter of the FOM is proud to bring you the following info for the Northeast Tiki Tour 2008.

September 19th - 21st.

Our official hotel is the Knights Inn, in Danvers, MA. (978) 774-6500

We have arranged for room rates of $65 and $75 (plus tax, per night)

Rooms WILL sell out. Book early. Mention the Tiki Tour when booking.

The buses will run on Saturday the 20th, leaving late morning, but I highly suggest everyone come out for the Friday night Room Crawl.

Friday: Live band(s), food, cocktails, prizes, and a great hang with Fellow Moai, Initiates, Prospects, and Tikiphiles. Just dont stay up too late, the buses must leave on time!!!

Saturday: Bus tour to SIX of New England's last remaining Polynesian Paradises. Live music. Raffles. Food. Cocktails. Monkey Knife Fights! ok, maybe not that last one....

Sunday: Hangover Brunch. Possible side trip to the Peabody Essex Museum of Oceanic Art.

More info to come. (Tour cost should still be in the $35 to $40 range)

Some of it is posted at
www.northeasttikitour.com

I hope to see many of you there!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 06:15 am   Permalink

If you're actually thinking about doing the Essex Museum, then you *must* get breakfast at Red's Sandwich Shop. (15 Central St, just off the Essex St walking mall and less than a block from the museum.) The best breakfast... Yumm... But it might be difficult to park and get enough seats for a crew, since it is a little diner. Generally there will be a dozen people waiting for a seat. A party of 4 would have a 10-20 minute wait.

There is a Brother's Deli right next to the parking garage, which is about 2 blocks from the museum. 283 Derby St., just before Pickering Wharf. It's a little odd when you first go in, because it's a steam-table buffet kind of place. You grab a tray and stand in line, when it's your turn you give your order and move down the line until it's done... But the breakfast is cooked to order, and those guys make one hell of a breakfast. And Brother's has plenty of seating.

Either place is very highly recommended for breakfast.

If you stay in Danvers near the Inn, there is a Brother's Deli in Danvers, too, at 31 Maple Street.

Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 09:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-21 08:29, leisure master wrote:
Given the number of commuters, would it be wrong if the NJ/NY ohana thought about a bus to take us to the bus? Sort of a tiki commuter connection?

I'm just sayin'.

a tour to the tour? I guess no good could come from that...

I think it's a good idea.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 12:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-19 14:00, pappythesailor wrote:
Here's some of the places we crossed of the list yesterday:

Fantasy Island - Salem - Must have been good once. Looks like it's just been remodeled. Only a few Orchids lamps and couple of bamboo chairs survived. Oh and my drink was alcohol-free. Next!

Hey wait a minute! I missed this post - I gotta stand up for my main mai tai place in MA.

While I totally agree the place has absolutely no tiki, they have one of the best mai tais I have found in MA, and I have never had a weak drink there - I just don't understand it, man.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 1:13 pm   Permalink

I had the Mai Tai...pappy had some sort of fruit juice masquerading as a cocktail.

Mai Tai was passable...1st sip was terrible...nothing but rum & simple syrup. I then mixed it & it tasted better, but I think I drank all the rum out of it with that first sip.

They definately dont pour with the heavy hand there anymore.

johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 4:05 pm   Permalink

One room secured for Johnman and Mrs. Johnman for 9/19-21st! WOO HOO!!!

Scottes - I can certainly vouch for the Brothers Deli in Salem. I had a great breakfast there a couple of years ago.

Leisure Master - I was supposed to hit fantasy Island with Miss on our trip to Salem last month but it just never happened. Sadly enough the night I wanted to go there we ended up at TGiFs! Argh! Sometimes I end up losing the dinner choice battle.

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-03 06:30 am   Permalink

johnman-judging from what we got served at F.I. the other weekend, I think you both won on the dinner choice with TGIF! lol.

Ok, so, NETT news.

Our first band has confirmed. Surf band out of CT called 9th Wave.

These cats rock. Check out their stuff at:
http://www.9thwavesurf.com/

As usual, more to come.

rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-03 1:32 pm   Permalink

As long as the bus beverages live up to last years standards I for one will have NO complaints.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-05 6:48 pm   Permalink

More NETT news you can use:

Waitiki is down with the tour once again!!

We're absolutely thrilled to have these guys on-board once more!!

2 Killer bands. 6 Fantasic stops. Liver-shriveling bus cocktails by pappy & bargoyle. Crazy-ass room crawl. Wonderful fellow tikiphiles. More amazing swag & raffle prizes.

What more could you want?

Fire dancers you say? I'm working on that right now. No promises though.

Only 9 1/2 months till we give birth to Northeast Tiki Tour II: The Son of The NETT!!

edited for a ton of typos-sry

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2007-12-05 19:08 ]

Professor Pineapple
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-07 09:28 am   Permalink

Excellent! I count Mike Rosado and the whole 9th Wave crew among my friends. I'm sure they didn't need much convincing- tiki decor and apparel is always a feature of their shows.

Exotica and surf... it does NOT get any better!

View Profile of Professor Pineapple Send a personal message to Professor Pineapple  Goto the website of Professor Pineapple     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation