FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
Miss-Darko

Posted: 2008-04-24 4:30 pm   Permalink

QUOTE**
Hi miss Darko and welcome..
In 2006 I fist travelled to the USA and attended my first Tiki Oasis, I travelled alone but had some contacts and the only person I had actually met was Shag.
99% of people were super cool though i was accused of putting on a fake Australian accent once... you may not be so lucky because nobody likes poms(kidding)
I would be happy to introduce you to the folks I know and can give you some tips on backpacking in Sandiego and LA as I have done it twice before this trip, you will have a blast (and a hangover) thats for sure..
Cheers..

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

That very kind of you - I am actually gonna try and stay in a hotel near in Mission Valley so when I say back packing I guess
its not THAT rough- wow its late over here and lack of sleep and food and some pot (not necessarily mine) has left me pondering what backpacking is exactly do you actually need a back pack??!!!

But yes I digress any advice is much appricated and ta for making me feel welcome.
I am not your typical pom lol my teeth are ok for being born and raised in Britain!

Oh but what a contact to have when you say the "ONLY person I had actually met was Shag"!

A hangover and a blast what else can a girl want!

Question:

Could you please tell me if you have had many solo travelers your fine sounding Tiki Oasis event?

Miss Darko

[ This Message was edited by: Miss-Darko 2008-04-24 16:33 ]

View Profile of Miss-Darko Send a personal message to Miss-Darko  Email Miss-Darko Goto the website of Miss-Darko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 5:02 pm   Permalink

I highly recommend staying AT the event.. the parties kick on till all hours and no doubt you will buy a bunch of crap and its good to be able to drop it somewhere secure and also shower and stuff after crusing the pool etc...

I am in San Diego for 6 months with my girlfriend about 1o minutes away but still gonna hook up a room. The first time i had my own room and was kind pricy for one person but the mighty pound will help you a little there,
The second time I shared with a mate..

I guess not many Backpackers would even know about it so there is not really a backpacker share room or anything but who knows.. It's probably better that they dont know...lol and i figure most local people travel in at least 2's but don't worry about that.. I have found the tiki community to be incredibly hospitable, friendly and generous, you will make a bunch of new friends.

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-24 17:02, Tiki Trav wrote:
I highly recommend staying AT the event.. the parties kick on till all hours and no doubt you will buy a bunch of crap and its good to be able to drop it somewhere secure and also shower and stuff after crusing the pool etc...

I live 3-4 miles away and I book a room at the event. It is half the magic, staying there! Plus then there are no worries about driving home or catching a cab.

This year I booked on the first day and requested a balcony room, fingers crossed I got a "party room" this year!

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-24 9:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Question:

Could you please tell me if you have had many solo travelers your fine sounding Tiki Oasis event?

Miss Darko

I can't really say how many solo travelers attend Oasis but i can say it is not hard meeting people, you are starting off in the right place, and there will be a singles meeting/event within the Tiki Oasis event TBA.

Staying at the hotel is paramount. Cancel your other hotel reservation. If you absolutely cannot stay at the Crowne Plaza then stay at the Motel 6 next door. It is a long walk but no other hotels are walking distance. You will have to take a cab or drive which is a huge drag.

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 1:40 pm   Permalink

hey what was up again with the carvers getting a booth, im down to pitch some dough to share a table.
Also i know ive asked before, but where do i sign up to volunteer again otto? thanks

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 4:21 pm   Permalink

Hey Thomas don't sweat it, there will be carving happening everywhere this year.

The San Diego Tiki Choppers are gonna be out and about, I'm thinking of having a Chop-A-Thon contest where everybody (and I mean ANYBODY who wants to) gets a log and the starting gun goes off and BAM you have exactly 1 hour (or 2 hours with a 10-minute break in the middle?) to carve a Tiki. Audience votes on the winners, we could have categories like "Ugliest", "Most Tiki-like" and "Sexiest" and we can auction off the results el cheapo at the end.

We should also do some regular classes, a few times a day, in carving basics. We'll set some chairs up in the shade this year, we won't be in the parking lot but should be under a nice tree.

Anybody who wants to try carving, just ask around. We'll help ya out.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
canyonlaketiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-08 11:39 am   Permalink

Are chainsaws allowed? If so I am in. Tiki Stan...

View Profile of canyonlaketiki Send a personal message to canyonlaketiki  Goto the website of canyonlaketiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-08 10:03 pm   Permalink

I'd like everyone here to be aware that the fabulous WAITIKI from Boston will be playing Tiki Oasis 8 on Friday night. They are not up on the Oasis website yet but they are confirmed. It will be their first west coast appearance so I want you to treat them well.

WAITIKI is the best new Exotica band in the world right now. Don't miss their set, tell all your friends!

http://waitiki.com/

http://www.myspace.com/waitiki

[ This Message was edited by: Otto 2008-05-08 22:51 ]

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 10:27 pm   Permalink

Oooohhh!!!! I've heard such good things about them! A little birdy also told me they're kinda hot, so this should be fun!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 06:06 am   Permalink

Waitiki sounds fantastic, thanks Ottooski.

No chainsaws allowed, this is all classic islander-style chisels only, we don't want the nice people getting woodchips in their eyes. (That's happened!)

You can rough out a log with a chainsaw first, though, away from the event, and bring it in all prepped up.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 5:24 pm   Permalink

wow cool deal,
kinda funny that That Waitiki is coming here,
and tikiyaki is going East for Hukilau.

maybe next year Tikiyaki for Oasis 9 hint hint

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 3:46 pm   Permalink

waitiki? killer! friday night is gonna be such a good show, i cant wait for the oasis!

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 9:10 pm   Permalink

Okonkuluku!

Thanks, Otto, for the kind words!! We're totally looking forward to being at Tiki Oasis and being out in San Diego. In the meantime, check out the new WAITIKI website
www.WAITIKI.com, and if you haven't already, learn about Okonkuluku University!

Also, going to Youtube.com and searching for okonkuluku is a great way to get acquainted with the band and some of our antics.

We look forward to meeting friends old and new this summer!

-Prof. Humming Flower & WAITIKI

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-11 09:28 am   Permalink

Did tickets to the event sell out last year? I already have my room and tickets booked and paid for but i have friends who are slacking on getting their tickets. I know there is a chance rooms will go away before they get off their lazy butts but what about the actual armbands, can those wait till last minute?

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-11 6:21 pm   Permalink

We bought our tickets on the Wednesday before the event last year. Not saying that that is the best idea however, by that time all the rooms were sold out and we had to stay at the Holiday Inn on the other side of Hotel Circle. You miss a lot of fun, not to mention most of the vendors not staying at the hotel.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation