FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS 2008 Aug 14-17 Voodoo Zombie Island
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 1:32 pm   Permalink

Mahalo nui loa to everyone who stopped by the Freaky Boutiki booth! It was great seeing old friends. (Thanks for letting us mess up your front yard Rugby!)

Bashing it's way into the coolest things in my life ever: Being a roadie for The Robert Drasnin Orch! A soft spoken thanks and a smile from the miestro too! Never would have believed we could have fit all those musicians onto a stage not much wider than a couple bowling lanes! (pics from afternoon soundcheck)

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-19 09:38, Tai Won On wrote:
What a great weekend. Even though I'm home now I can't stop flashing back to the last few days.
Thanks to all who hosted and thanks to all that visited our Norcal Ohana room 1849. We had a blast and will start planning for next year soon.

Thank you to the honest person that got the camera I lost, in my drunken stupor, back to me. I don't remember too many of the room crawl parties, but I'm told I attended.

We did find a brown camera case in our room which no one claimed. We tried to find the owner but no one recognized it. Monday morning I turned it in to the hotel lost and found.

THANKS so much for turning that in...I just spoke to the hotel and they are shipping it to me. Speaking of turning things in, what is the deal with the stolen tikis? Are they back yet?
www.dionysusrecords.com

Join me for "Over Under Sideways Down" on LuxuriaMusic.com Wednesdays, 3-5 PM Pacific

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 2:08 pm   Permalink

Some highlights from our trip, our first TO in San Diego, the second time we've had the honor of hosting the B Movie Nite. (Some asked why the advertised movie, "I Eat Your Skin" AKA "Voodoo Island" - not be confused with the Karloff flick from '57 of the same name - was actually shown as just plain "Zombies". Answer: B movie producers like Del Tenney, the genius also responsible for "Horror at Party Beach," re-released their artworks several times under different titles attempting to turn a profit on their original Buck Fifty investment.) The trailers were the best part anyway. Mahalo for the memories, aloha from Thrillville. ps love that Waitiki CD I bought....

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 2:23 pm   Permalink

is it me or is there just too many things going on at the same time at Tiki Oasis. I wonder if thats a good thing or a bad thing.
there was stuff I wanted to do/see.
but just could not squeeze it all in.
kinda a double edged sword I guess.

but definitely many choices for people to choose from.
and that is a good thing.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MelWaldorf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-19 4:50 pm   Permalink

What a blast to have been at Tiki Oasis! It was the first time for my wife and I. We spent the days hocking shlock in the indoor vending room, and had a great time at the shows, movies and room crawls at night.

It was great to see old friends and to meet new ones. Looking forward to next year!

Mel

View Profile of MelWaldorf Send a personal message to MelWaldorf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 4:52 pm   Permalink

What a great weekend! had a blast catching up with some familiar faces and putting names to new ones. I never stopped laughing with (or at) the boys from Ghouligan's Hut, Big Toe, Clydesdale, DavesNotHome and Holden both in the booth and out, and good times with our neighbors Nick and Tiki Magazine and Mad Matt Reese and the Finkniks boys.. Buzzy gave me a very intimate limited edition print and signed it to me in a most professional and endearing manner (i believe someone got nuber 31 of 30?). Ed & family mixed me up some great cocktails as did the other fantastic room hosts, as usual Woohoo and Soccertiki went the extra mile. Maid Marion gave us a hysterical rundown on Billy the C*$T's wiener(s) and Bamboo Ben threw two drinks at me! The Bands were great with the Creepy Creeps and Ghastly Ones taking Oasis to a whole new level of insanity. Only had a few people give me crap about the accent which made up for Ken Ruzic's absence......almost. Kirby and Polly told Sarah and I some great vomit stories and Rob Roy didn't knock my drinks off the balcony this time.. Saw more boobs than I ever expected which was nice....
Hope I can make it next year, I would sell a kidney but i have a feeling I'm gonna need it!

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-19 14:08, AquaZombie wrote:
Some highlights from our trip, our first TO in San Diego, the second time we've had the honor of hosting the B Movie Nite. (Some asked why the advertised movie, "I Eat Your Skin" AKA "Voodoo Island" - not be confused with the Karloff flick from '57 of the same name - was actually shown as just plain "Zombies". Answer: B movie producers like Del Tenney, the genius also responsible for "Horror at Party Beach," re-released their artworks several times under different titles attempting to turn a profit on their original Buck Fifty investment.) The trailers were the best part anyway. Mahalo for the memories, aloha from Thrillville. ps love that Waitiki CD I bought....

I loved the B Movie Nite...it was a brilliant way to wear off the 5-7 mai tais of the day gradually. I was new to the Thrillville trivia contest stylings, but once I figured it out (by naming my favorite overlooked Elvis film) I was even able to take home a magazine door prize!

My favorite scenes of ZOMBIES/I EAT YOUR SKIN were the bookends at the beginning and end featuring the "Swinging Writer Guy" protagonist doing his thing by the poolside in Miami Beach (and this was definitely the second best film ever filmed at the Fountainbleu Hotel...though a distant second to #1: Jerry Lewis' THE BELLBOY).

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 6:38 pm   Permalink

Here's a few we took.
The brood we brought along.

My wife and her sister.

Setting up the paintings

How they looked at night

My sweetpea got to dance on stage

Hanging with the kids

Gecko opening the mug he had me paint. A real honor for me.

The kids had a ball

We danced like crazy

What a great time. See you all at Tiki Surf City next year!

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 6:46 pm   Permalink

Matt, you got a better pic of that Gecko/Matt mug. Wow, how cool is that. Your painting for a guy who can sell HIS done up versions for BiG bucks.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 7:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-19 18:46, teaKEY wrote:
Matt, you got a better pic of that Gecko/Matt mug. Wow, how cool is that. Your painting for a guy who can sell HIS done up versions for BiG bucks.

Go to my Myspace page, and I have a few.

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 7:37 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple stolen from Billy's page. Thanks again Billy. I appreciate the shots.

He sent it to me unglazed so I would paint it.

It has a rubber brain wedged into it's mouth.
I gotta say, Gecko is one of those rare people that makes this whole tiki subculture work. He is a great guy and I am thrilled to have been able to do something like that mug.
Just a solid person.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 7:38 pm   Permalink

424 Oasis photos, thanks Billy, that's what I'm talking about.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 8:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

My favorite scenes of ZOMBIES/I EAT YOUR SKIN were the bookends at the beginning and end featuring the "Swinging Writer Guy" protagonist doing his thing by the poolside in Miami Beach (and this was definitely the second best film ever filmed at the Fountainbleu Hotel...though a distant second to #1: Jerry Lewis' THE BELLBOY).

Wow, you stayed to the end - congrats! It's actually a fun movie, perfect for T08 because of its madcap mix of cheesy voodoo, semi-sexy dance rituals, non flesh-eating (despite the title) but suitably creepy zombies, 60s-era "exotica," lurid pulp ambience, unspecified tropical setting, and best of all, the Jonny Quest-style soundtrack music! For the 80% of the audience who drifted out after the trailers, or for those who stayed and actually may want to watch it again, its now available on RetroMedia DVD as part of "Morella's Blood Vision," which also contains "Blood Seekers (AKA "Blood Thirst") another "prize" someone took off my hands. Here's a review with more info:
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/08/04/225851.php
Cheers!

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 9:14 pm   Permalink

What a great week-end. This was our first Oasis & all I can say is WOW!! My wife & I would like to thank everyone involved. The bands, the vendors, & symposiums were all superb. Holden, thanks for always taking the time to talk to my wife & I. Clysdalle, thanks for signing a print for our daughter. Badlands Beads & Happy Chi, the wife always buys something from you. We are already planing for next year. Here are a few pics.

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 02:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-19 19:37, Matt Reese wrote:
Here are a couple stolen from Billy's page. Thanks again Billy. I appreciate the shots.

He sent it to me unglazed so I would paint it.

It has a rubber brain wedged into it's mouth.
I gotta say, Gecko is one of those rare people that makes this whole tiki subculture work. He is a great guy and I am thrilled to have been able to do something like that mug.
Just a solid person.

Aloha Matt! Nice to have met you and connect the name to the person....Some picts for your collection....

See you next year! Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation