FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Does spiced rum get an unfair shake?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Does spiced rum get an unfair shake?
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 3:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-30 07:33, AceExplorer wrote:His reply was to tell them to stop selling crappy flavored versions of their products.

You mean Pinnacle Vodka and their 31 flavors has missed the point?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 1:44 pm   Permalink

If you can get your hands on The Lash spiced rum, it really is in a whole different level above every spice rum I've ever tried. The Siesta Key Spiced Rum from Sarasota is also getting some good press. I haven't had a chance to pick up a bottle and play with it yet.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-02 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-01 13:44, TikiHardBop wrote:
If you can get your hands on The Lash spiced rum, it really is in a whole different level above every spice rum I've ever tried. The Siesta Key Spiced Rum from Sarasota is also getting some good press. I haven't had a chance to pick up a bottle and play with it yet.

The Lash is definitely different than the typical spiced rum. It is bursting with real spice flavor, but for me it was a bit too much cinnamon (it was #14 on my list). I have not tried Siesta Key, but was contacted by the distiller after the article was published, and some is now on its way to me. I'm excited to try it, as I have heard good things! Cheers

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-03 05:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-01 13:44, TikiHardBop wrote:
The Siesta Key Spiced Rum from Sarasota is also getting some good press.

Deservedly so! It's good.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-12 02:15 am   Permalink

The Kraken did actually change the recipe for the Australian market (you can blame me/us). We have a ridiculous law here where all rums must be aged for a minimum of two years to be called a rum. Otherwise it needs to be labeled as something else e.g. Sugar Cane Flavoured Spirit. As The Kraken didn't have any rums in it that were over two years old, and obviously being a new brand who wanted to get there product out into as many markets as possible, they tinkered with the formula adding an aged rum to qualify for the requirements the Australian Liquor Industry demands and they were so happy with what they came up with that they changed the recipe worldwide.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-12 05:58 am   Permalink

Swizzle, when they changed the recipe, do you also know if they changed the labeling on the bottle? I'm wondering how we would know if we have a bottle of the old stuff because that would invite one or more of us to make an old/new comparison.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mamelukkikala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-12 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-12 02:15, swizzle wrote:
We have a ridiculous law here where all rums must be aged for a minimum of two years to be called a rum.

That sounds like a great law. Finland is filled with "rums" that taste more like gasoline than sugarcane flavored spirit. We have good rums too, but of course those cost a fortune.

View Profile of mamelukkikala Send a personal message to mamelukkikala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-12 11:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-12 05:58, AceExplorer wrote:

Swizzle, when they changed the recipe, do you also know if they changed the labeling on the bottle? I'm wondering how we would know if we have a bottle of the old stuff because that would invite one or more of us to make an old/new comparison.

I can't believe i can answer that with photographic evidence although i'm not sure if it will help answer your question.

A few years ago before The Kraken became available here in Aus. i was fortunate enough to have a co-worker bring me back a bottle from the U.S. which i still have. I also happen to have an Australian release bottle which i've modified to make into a lamp/light.

The bottle on the left in both pictures is the Australian one, U.S. on the right.

Front.

The only difference i can see is that the label on U.S. bottle is larger, (it is a 750ml bottle opposed the Australian 700ml) and the alcohol percentage/proof is on both sides of the U.S. bottle where as ours has the bottle volume also. As you can see the alcohol percentage/proof is also lower here. That is also because alcohol is heavily taxed here and it is worked out according to the alcohol percentage and the bottle size. So for example, a Kraken bottle(700ml) at 47% would cost more than a 700ml at 40%.

What percentage/proof is it over there now?

Back.

The only difference i can see here is the writing on the top has gone from three lines to two, all the other information you should be able to see for yourselves is to do with distribution and/or differences in our two countries and what needs to be on the labels according to our respective laws.

Hope that helps. I'm curious to hear back from anyone to see what, if any, differences there are.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation