FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikis from Brighton UK - Page 3 update. ;-)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tikis from Brighton UK - Page 3 update. ;-)
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 4:44 pm   Permalink

Excellent tikis Especially for the first 6, you're a Natural and will progress Rapidly from the looks of how far you've come already. Just Keep Practicing and getting used to the tools. As you get more experience you will want more tools but go Slow and get what you need only in the beginning, that way you won't end up with a bunch of nice tools that you don't use. Love the Santas and the Santa's Helper is Definitely a Keeper. Also, Dynamite Tiki Bar.
Welcome to TC and Keep Posting Pictures, we Need Pictures.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-17 03:38 am   Permalink

Happy New Year!

I hope every one had good holidays. I did !

One notable present from Tamzine was the Tiki Modern book. Apparently ordered 6 months ago, it never arrived in time for my birthday. Hey, never mind. what a lovely big book , it even feels nice.

Thank you every one for the words of encoragement. It means alot coming from people who's work i have also admired.

Started on a new one last weekend. The piece of wood is the 5' cut off end of the trunk that the first large Tiki came from. Its Douglas fir , a very inexpencive wood , but with a nice grain i think. This part of the trunk was however damaged. Probably by the woods men picking it up with a tight chain and squeezing it too tight, it crushed alot of the outer layers.

As you can see ... car rolled out the garage

I used an "Oak" wood stain/Dye on this one. I shall probabaly varnish it ..

Thanks for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tark 2008-01-17 03:52 ]

View Profile of Trader Tark Send a personal message to Trader Tark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-26 2:51 pm   Permalink

At last some photos of it varnished.

Oh and not to mention the very nice lounge curtains that Tamzine made

Also, i copied a Witco "Totem pole" using up some timber that a mate in the bulding trade donated last year. It seemed the most logical thing to carve as the wood was 6 by 10 and about 4 ' long . Although i can claim nothing for origonality, i must say i was very pleased with the results.. It took 2 evenings to do. Chainsaw , sanding
,scorching and staining. Then next day varnish.

Ok , here's a pretty photo, but we can use the excuse that it gives the items scale...

Thanks for looking .. Have a good weekend!

Tark

View Profile of Trader Tark Send a personal message to Trader Tark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shampoovta
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-27 7:38 pm   Permalink

Nice Tikis!

View Profile of shampoovta Send a personal message to shampoovta  Goto the website of shampoovta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 10:28 pm   Permalink

Hey, Tark,
your homage to witco turned out very nice, I allways thought about making one ever since I saw it in this forum. I guess we have to in europe, cause original Witco is not available around here. You have an eye for good motives.

+: The leo-curtain rocks.

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-15 1:29 pm   Permalink

Tok Tok , yes you are right. my main reason for the carvings i have done is that i wanted my own for my Bar, house and Garden.

I got wood this week... ( its the joke that keeps on giving!)

Borrowed my mates Van and visited the sawmill. I managed to bring home 1 large piece of douglas fir, 1 very heave round of Oak and the two end ones ( on the right) are Larch.
Of of course it was easy getting these stupidly large & heavy rounds on the van with the Cat in the wood yard.. Another story getting them off the other end. managed it with some help.. but i dont think i can move the two large ones on my own when it comes to carving.

I intend to do something large to stand in front of the house..Not decided what style , but i would like to try tackle somthing different than previous..Perhaps something like a Ku ?

Tark

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tark 2008-02-15 13:33 ]

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-15 4:32 pm   Permalink

Yo Trader Tark!

Nice efforts there.
Here's a couple ways I get big logs out of my truck. I have a camper shell, so it's hard to get leverage enough to muscle the logs out, so I had to find some way to get them out.
Solution #1 came in the form of a tow rope:

I fold it in half, and put the loop end on the end of the log at the deep part of the cargo area
This view would kind of like from the drivers seat looking out the back(just pretend)

that gives me two handles on the other end, hanging out the back of the truck to pull with

then you need to pretend you are Worlds Strongest Man Magnus VonMagnussen and pull, pull ,pull.Try wrapping it around your waist and use your weight as leverage. If it still will not move, just hook the hooks on something sturdy and drive away. That should get the first one out.

After the first log comes out, it gets easier to get the rest out using wooden rollers:

I put the rollers perpendicular to the log, and then roll the log up on to them. I have cut angles in the end of the rollers so the log will roll up on to them easier.
Once the log is on these rollers, it should slide right out with very little effort. Sometimes you may need three, but I can usually move a log around with only two. I use one if I need to pivot or rotate a log to move it around a corner or walkway by finding the center of balance of the log and carefully rotating it on that fulcrum point.
Use rollers small enough to roll the log up on, but big enough to roll over the terrain.

This works when you have to transport a log through a narrow walkway or gate too.

Hope this saves your back,
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-16 07:08 am   Permalink

Thank you , good advise. The way i moved them off the van was similar to how you suggested. I rolled the logs onto Metal dowles and pushed them to the back of the Vehicle. ( i think thats how they moved the Stonehenge blocks... kinda.. )So if it worked for the Druids...

The steep angle of my driveway between Road (bottom left of photo) and Garage/house (top Right of photo) is another inconvenience when trying to deliver large object..

Any how all up there now, and today i'll begin peeling bark off ..

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tark 2008-02-16 07:10 ]

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-18 3:37 pm   Permalink

Nice finish on the tall guy, he looks great.
Love the Witco he is huge compared to others
i have seen.

So you guys still have some tree on the other side
of the pond i see.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-17 2:37 pm   Permalink

Its been months and i keep meaning to post a few pictures of what i've been up to over the summer. I've had other projects other than TIKI carving . Including building a summer house refreshing the Kitchen, and many weekends have been spent at classic car oriantated events.
But i have achieved some works i'm quiet pleased with. Some small and quick and some larger...

Small and quick first.. made quickly form a rather rotten old piece of unknown wood my Mum insisted i made use of.. It now sits in the hedge down the side of the garden and this is the first time i tried a Moai style.. i like is old worn/ rotten holey look.

The next few are a complete departure form anything i had yet to attempt.. Bit Ku style .. Made form the huge very heavy piece of Douglas fir in the previous photos..:

I call this the grumpy frog stage...

I mean the carving not Tamzine..

And finally a shot of it in my Little bar:

I am hoping this one will be dispayed in Tamzines shop " The Vintage magazine company - Brighton" It will be this first one on public display.

Next another Moai style, i made for a friends birthday

Next one , i went for the "log with Teeth" style Hopefully it ended up with a vintage look.. Dark Oak stain.

Oh whats this... another Moai from an offcut.. i gave this to my Brother.. :

Lastly there is this other Ku inspiered work made of Beech. the wood was quite twisted which give hime a curious stance.

What i am learning form all this is that i find propotions dificult.. no matter how i work or try to plan things out the initial cuts are so very important as this is where every thing starts.. Basically i find anything with arms and legs a bit of an issue.. you may notice the stummpy arms on the last one. That happened early on and i could not correct it.. Still its all practice.. And i shall do more.

Hope you like the photos ..

Tark

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tark 2008-09-20 16:03 ]

Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 4:11 pm   Permalink

I like your work. Looks good. Keep at it. Looks like your gonna run outta room around that bar.

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-20 4:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks, yes its a small home bar.. but i have the garden and a new summer house that i can star to decorate. So pleanty of room .Although the weather is begining to get damp and rainy here in the UK.

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-20 4:42 pm   Permalink

Very cool stuff you got going on their Trader Tark!!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 04:51 am   Permalink

Great tikis Tark and I Love that you are posting lots of photos. The raw logs looked enormous and difficult to move and yet you seemed to have turned them into excellent tikis in very fast order. Love your model too she adds nice airs to your talent.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-22 3:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben. The encoragement of skilled, accomplished wood carvers like you means alot... Cheers !!!
There will be more pictures soon i hope...

Tark

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation