FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Why Disneyland Sucks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Why Disneyland Sucks
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 08:17 am   Permalink

Uh, why? Care to elaborate?

Getting rid of the annual pass eliminates the "cheap skates" who just go to Disneyland to babysit their kids and watch a parade, eat churros and change diapers in the middle of main street.

Disneyland operated just fine for years with tickets. And you can now sell them on e-bay. So define "ridiculous".

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-04 08:17, lucas vigor wrote:
Uh, why? Care to elaborate?

Getting rid of the annual pass eliminates the "cheap skates" who just go to Disneyland to babysit their kids and watch a parade, eat churros and change diapers in the middle of main street.

Disneyland operated just fine for years with tickets. And you can now sell them on e-bay. So define "ridiculous".

Unfortunately, getting rid of the annual pass also eliminates the people who just like to go to the park for a couple of hours just to shop and have lunch.

I go once a month and generally spend less than three hours. I like getting there right as the park opens on Sunday morning. Sometimes while I'm making the 65 mile drive to Anaheim, I'll pick a land, and that's how I'll spend my morning. I'll do all of the rides in Fantasyland and then hit the Bengal BBQ as soon as it opens and grab a table on Main Street and eat lunch while reading Harry Potter or whatever novel I have on me...unless those damn pin collector freaks have taken up all of the tables.

Without an annual pass, I would probably go once or twice a year. I hate the pressure of feeling like you've got to cram everything into one day. I love to simply stroll around and enjoy the park.

Let's just outlaw the uberstrollers and the fatmobiles. That would fix things, wouldn't it?

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 10:21 am   Permalink

That's generally what I do too. A couple hours right after work. I arrive before the 5:30 "surge" and then pick a land, one land, and that's all I do. I will examine every door, window, shrub, tree, etc..really get into the details.

Yeah. I agree with get rid of the fat carts and strollers. Make them illegal. That would solve 90% of the problems.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-04 10:21, lucas vigor wrote:
That's generally what I do too. A couple hours right after work. I arrive before the 5:30 "surge" and then pick a land, one land, and that's all I do. I will examine every door, window, shrub, tree, etc..really get into the details.

Are you familiar with the book Where In Disneyland Park? It came out in the early or mid-90's. Full of pics of all the little details and minutia from around the park. Swell book.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 2:27 pm   Permalink

They are removing the New Guinea dolls and rainforest to add a "Hooray for U.S.A." portion of the ride.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-12 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-12 14:27, Tom Slick wrote:
They are removing the New Guinea dolls and rainforest to add a "Hooray for U.S.A." portion of the ride.

I'm sorry to see it go, I especially liked the way they dressed up the section during the Holiday Season I do have to wonder & keep in mind, if Walt were here today if a small world would still exist? Walt was always thinking forward & "It's a Small World" is a attraction that uses a vast amount of useful land. I know the attraction was one of Walt's favorites in the day, (all is relative) and culturally, people from everywhere else love the attraction probably more than us. Never the less, change is often difficult & sad.

edited for spelling

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-03-12 18:51 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 8:12 pm   Permalink

"removing the New Guinea dolls and rainforest to add a "Hooray for U.S.A." portion"

See? Disneyland SUCKS!

The whole point of "Small World" is to celebrate the OTHER countries of the world (even though Canada only gets a Mountie hidden under a doorway), while the rest of Disneyland (main Street, Frontierland, et all) celebrated the Good Old U.S. of A.

Putting in a "Go Team USA" section is a kick in the pants of the whole ride's concept. It also breaks up the 'travel round the world' flow of the ride, which takes us eastward around the globe, sort of.

What's next? Make the Mary Blair doll into a Chargers Quarterback?

GO USA!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 9:41 pm   Permalink

Go Chargers!

Disneyland sucks?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-12 10:41 pm   Permalink

I don't think Walt would have gone in the direction of adding a animatronic mickey here, an animatronic stitch there, just to "fluff up" a ride and call it "New and Improved. He was too smart for that. I truly believe if Walt were still here, he would have left Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Small World unscathed...I'm sure he was much too wise to add moviestars to the attractions...Afterall the attractions themselves are like Walts own moviestars. Drawing attention to Jack Sparrow within Pirates, Dilutes all the other magnificant details of that ride. Almost everytime, I'd spot something new in that attraction....minute decorations, to set design, to Walts signature forced perspective. Now when I've ridden the ride, Its true, there is always someone in the boat reminding you that, "Theres Johnny"!....."Look, Theres Sparrow again"...

The setup is almost as bad as the corny scripts on the Jungle Cruise ride....Its predictable, and the script is already spoiled to seasoned DL'ers who've ridden the boat a few times....

"Ever seen the backside of Water?"
"Trader Sam is in the Head Shrinking Business, and He's always trying to get ahead!"

I still admire the Jungle Cruise,though!

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2008-03-12 22:44 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-13 02:13 am   Permalink

My favorite Jungle joke is when you see the native villagers dancing, the guide says;
"They're doing the 'I can't find the bathroom' dance. That's why they're called Headhunters.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-13 05:18 am   Permalink

Is "Team USA" anything like "Team America", now thats got to be worth seeing if it is,
put alongside countries like Afganastan and Iraq.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-03-13 11:46 am   Permalink

I'm glad I took pics at the Small World of the tropical area last year~

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-14 08:43 am   Permalink

I think this idea of changing It's A Small World yet again is absolutely horrific. Re-recording the music made sense from a technical standpoint, maybe (although I miss the music tracks as they originally were). I wasn't happy about the music change but I figured, "Well, they could do many worse things." And here we are. That's a lousy idea, it does go against the concept of the original ride, and it is likely to look cheesy and "inserted." Not to mention, that's one of the coolest areas of the ride to destroy! Sigh.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-14 10:59 am   Permalink

For a guy like me, growing up in the suburbs of suburbia, I had zero chance to experience exotic scenes and jungle foliage. What DL did was recreate, with a few simple strokes, the element and flavor of an exotic locale. They did it with cheap ingredients, but it worked. The fake rain is just colored strips of material, but when I was 7, they looked real enough and sparked something in my imagination, something that has lasted to this day: a love of all things exotic.

When the soundtrack on that ride turns tropical, I instantly get excited. The jungle drums, and then steel guitar on that track are awesome! You can hear the agogo bell going "tink tink tink, tink tink-a-tink" and it's very cool.

procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-15 03:16 am   Permalink

Ah, yes. I remember when I was a little kid going on that ride, and that moment when the boat goes around the bend and you are immersed in the rain forest...those little strips of wiggling cellophane. So simple but a wonderful illusion. A magical moment, if you will. It's a shame that anyone would want to redesign that section.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation