FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Why Disneyland Sucks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Why Disneyland Sucks
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 9:32 pm   Permalink

I've been to the Disneyland Hotel Hundreds of times over the past 20 years and have never seen what you are talking about.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 10:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-27 21:32, bigtikidude wrote:
I've been to the Disneyland Hotel Hundreds of times over the past 20 years and have never seen what you are talking about.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

You'd think you'd be able to find something online about it which I can't. I feel like I'm crazy but I know what I saw...I'll start asking hotel staff next time I visit.

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 12:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-28 18:22, lucas vigor wrote:
Adventureland: They had the tahitian terrace restaraunt. What more needs to be said.

They used to sell shrunken heads and spears in front of the Jungle Cruise...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 10:05 am   Permalink

Coco Joe....The Disneyland Hotel does in fact have a few bodys of water. One was most recently used for the 50th anniversary and had a dancing water show. There is a cement stage to it as well, all outdoors. It is a medium/large sized area. Then there is the waterfalls/lightshow that you can pass under at the hotel by way of a path that twists through, and finally their main swimming pool area, next to the remote controlled boats.

I wasn't fortunate enough to see this show that you speak of, but when I was a kid in the 70s, there was a park not too far called Enchanted Village, with plenty of bamboo, another body of water that you could take a boat ride on, and a lagoon creature(some dude in a seaweed covered scuba suit would try to board the boat, and rock it back and forth, making you think you were all plunging into the depths of creature hell. That "monster" scared the shit! outta me, and I still remember to this day, I was about to jump out and make a swim for land, until my pops grabbed my arm. So then I made the next move to crawl under the open boat seats to hide under other people. Ahh, yes....and they had a luau type show at dusk with firewalkers,jugglers and fine wahines shakin' it all up...I got on stage with them when I was a kid and hula'ed with them. According to my folks, I had the whole place busting up in hysterics, including the band/dancers. By the sounds of it, I wonder if I inadvertantly, invented the booty shaking contest....?

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 10:08 am   Permalink

Oh yea....Disneyland sucks for me now because they did not offer enough Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary special event ticket packages! Those bastards sold out in less than 2 hours, and the event isn't until September 9th! BOOO, DISNEY!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 4:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-30 10:08, Tom Slick wrote:
Oh yea....Disneyland sucks for me now because they did not offer enough Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary special event ticket packages! Those bastards sold out in less than 2 hours, and the event isn't until September 9th! BOOO, DISNEY!

Damn!

I really want the Haunted Portraits print by Shag.

I didnt even realize that the ticket packages went on sale yet. My bad.

I am going to have to bribe someone now to try to get me one or hope to hell he doesnt sell out.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 2:11 pm   Permalink

Came across some vintage Disneyland postcards while out and about thrifting. Thought some of you might want to see them. Sorry I do not have a scanner so I hope the glare isn't bad for you.

KEEL BOAT IN FRONTIERLAND

POLYNESIAN RESTAURANT THE TAHITIAN TERRACE - ALL THE TABLES ARE EVEN COVERED IN TAPA (OR FAUX TAPA)

SKULL ROCK AT PIRATE'S COVE IN FANTASYLAND

SKYWAY

THE HAUNTED MANSION

There were lots more mostly of the Castle and the Submarine ride. Since I have never been to Disneyland not sure of how much it has changed since the photographs were taken but I can only assume it has at least a little bit.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 7:53 pm   Permalink

Um, I've never seen that Haunted Mansion,
and I have been going to D land since 73.

is that possibly the Florida Haunted Mansion?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 8:10 pm   Permalink

The back of the postcard has the Disney Land logo and even states that is where it is located.

I have been to Disney World about 100 times (being from Florida) so I know that it looks like that.

So I guess the card is a misprint then--interesting esp since the card is older . I didnt even notice because I have never been to Disneyland.

Ok so nix the Haunted Mansion card from above!

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2009-02-10 20:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2009-02-10 20:12 ]

procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 07:43 am   Permalink

The Skull Rock and Skyway postcard images are coooooool.
Nice views of that stuff.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 09:42 am   Permalink

I totally forgot about the Keel boat ride.
Probably because it was boring anyway.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeithH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 11:46 am   Permalink

Ahhh the Tahitian Terrace. I drove the Jungle Cruise in the summer of 90 and always enjoyed the view as they were getting ready to start the shows. Then they made it "Aladdin's Oasis" or some thing like that. Not sure what it is now though.

Swiss Family Tree House was changed to Tarzan's Treehouse - not sure what it is now.

I was really pissed when they changed one of the scenes in Pirates. Now instead of Pirates doing what they do - chase women - they chase women because they are carrying food. Although I haven't been to DL since the movies came out and they made even more changes. Dead Men Tell No Tails

The sky buckets were AWESOME! Except that people kept trying to climb out and fall to their deaths.

I am still pissed that they changed the Enchanted Tiki Room!

Keith
Jungle Cruise '90

View Profile of KeithH Send a personal message to KeithH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-03-10 11:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-12 09:42, Unga Bunga wrote:
I totally forgot about the Keel boat ride.
Probably because it was boring anyway.

It's not boring when they overload one and let it tip over:
http://jungleis101.blogspot.com/2008/07/mike-fink-keel-boats-may-1997-accident.html

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-11 09:22 am   Permalink

you know all ragging aside.
and there is alot of stuff to rag on Disney about.

the 1 thing that they did that I thought for the better was.
The remodel of Fantasyland. and the addition of the Pinochio ride.
old pics of Fantasyland make it look like a Cheap circus.
now it looks more like a European village.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-11 8:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-11 09:22, bigtikidude wrote:
you know all ragging aside.
and there is alot of stuff to rag on Disney about.

the 1 thing that they did that I thought for the better was.
The remodel of Fantasyland.

Unless you happened to really like Pirates' Cove, Skull Rock, and Cap'n Hook's Jolly Roger (aka the Chicken-of-the-Sea restaurant -- sure the cuisine was a tad mediocre, but that full-scale ship was a beautiful sight...) *sigh*...

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-03-11 20:31 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation