FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Why Disneyland Sucks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Why Disneyland Sucks
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-04 10:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-04 16:14, Hakalugi wrote:
For those of you that bother to actually read it, you'll even find an "article" there from Tangaroa.

Well, where is the wanker?
Come on Tang!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-05 02:54 am   Permalink

Don't forget to view this Tc thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26510&forum=6&hilite=why%20disneyland

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-05 04:45 am   Permalink

Actually, this is the notorious thread that started it all for Lucas, Tang and myself; I think Tango agrees whith pretty much everything we say but doesn't want the blame laid on staff designers, rather directly on management where it obviously belongs -

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=21274&forum=6&start=30

Again, you really want to see recent changes ripped to shreds, check the re-imagineering site mentioned in Dood and my posts. The Pixar kids get out the big guns and REALLY go hunting.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-06 3:07 pm   Permalink

The EAST WIND, a chinese junk used to dock at the Polynesian next to a huge gong. I've got a pic of a pre-teen Hodaddy standing next to that gong someplace...

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/FreakAccidentDisneyland.htm

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-06 4:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-06 15:07, hodadhank wrote:
The EAST WIND, a chinese junk used to dock at the Polynesian next to a huge gong. I've got a pic of a pre-teen Hodaddy standing next to that gong someplace...

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/FreakAccidentDisneyland.htm

Ya big dork. That's Disney World.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-06 4:53 pm   Permalink

Does anybody know how many people are actually at Disneyland on a "busy" day?

[ This Message was edited by: Cammo 2007-12-06 16:53 ]

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-06 5:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-06 16:53, Cammo wrote:
Does anybody know how many people are actually at Disneyland on a "busy" day?

Dig this Cam...

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-07 09:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-03 18:28, Al-ii wrote:
Actually Heath,
Lucas and Cammo are presenting an lucid, intelligent, methodical, point by point argument on how they think Disneyland can be improved. They love Disney. Whining is what you (and people like you) do when they offer useless advice, like, stop going to Disneyland. I have three questions for you buddy.

Totally! The whole point of a talk forum is to TALK! quashing a debate is un-american! That's why I got so heated myself, in that someone took my critique as "whining". Whining is complaining about something is a childish way, and usually without merit. I think a lot of us here have legitimate "gripes" and suggestions for improvement.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-07 09:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-04 10:05, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
The last time Libby and I were there the day ended as a nightmare. The park was WAY oversold, and it was a human logjam everywhere (except for the far reaches of "ghettoized" Tomorrowland -- nice observation, that).

My favorite area in Disneyland has always been New Orleans Square. Expecially around sunset and through twilight, when the Mark Twain would cruise the Rivers with her winsome lights glittering on the water, a sprinkling of lights in the trees, the Haunted Mansion quietly looming in the soft glow beyond Tom Sawyer Island, a little Dixieland drifting in the breeze..., all of it. One of the most charming spots on the planet, ever.

Then they put in "Fantasmic" -- and New Orleans Square became akin to a common street parade, with people putting blankets on the ground in the late afternoon to start "dibbing" spots along the promenade, and by evening the mass of people jamming that once-charming area swelled to a claustrophobic mass of restless bodies. Nobody could move freely. Some folks could barely breath. If you didn't hog a table at one of the restaurants six hours in advance, you couldn't sit down anywhere.

It was awful, awful. We just wanted to get out, but we were herded -- like cattle -- by brusque Cast Members (not their fault; the sheer numbers of streaming bodies must've been ennervating to them), faceless in the dark, except for their swinging flashlights, ordering us to "Keep moving! Keep moving!" Nowhere to stop, roped-off areas themselves clogged with sardined-in Guests... "Keep moving!" -- all the way out of NOS, through Frontierland, through Main Street. Was this Disneyland!? Or "Soylent Green"?

The very heart of my argument. "Nowhere to stop, roped-off areas themselves clogged with sardined-in guests...Keep moving!!"

This is what has bothered me for the last few years, as it got progressivly worse. Keep in mind that what son of kelbo was describing was probably a weekday. I expect this large crowd on summer vacation, on a saturday, but on a frickin TUESDAY night during school, and at 7:30 in the evening? Because I have been there on a time like that, and it was exactly as kelbo said.

You could not walk. You shuffled along slowly, like prisoners on a chain gang, while families with volkswagon sized strollers stopped right in your path so they could feed their screaming children. No wonder the kids are screaming! This can't be fun for them!

It's profit for DL, plain and simple. "Overselling" does not even begin to describe the human herding that occures.

And if you do magically find a day or evening where the guest count is low, guess what? They only open 2 entrance gates, so there is STILL a line stretching across the entrance plaza clear to the "California" letters near CA. You will find only ONE side of Indiana jones working. You will find that they do everything possible to make it ALWAYS look busy and crowded.

For people that are into decor, and foliage/landscaping, and stopping and looking at all the great details that some other people have written about, (and that other amusement parks lack) it is a HUGE letdown.

They want DL to be the same as magic mountain or knotts. They are forgetting what made DL different from Coney Island in the first place. Walt truly was a master of detail, and that vision died with him, big time.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-07 10:57 pm   Permalink

Also, just type in the simple "disneyland sucks" (without the quotes) and it pops up number 7 spot and 8 spot on googles first page. The fact that this topic thread can be googled and found by anyone including any head honchos from Disneyland makes it a good reference point for them to observe and hopefully take notes on what can be improved to enhance peoples experiences. I also negelected to mention the "roped off like cattle" parade travesty that occurs...I was trying to get to the "better half" side of Disneyland, and through no such luck(and I swear i tried, even running at points), wound up getting stuck in between Toghettoland and Fantasyland...For an Hour! nothing to do except hide out from the ankle seeking strollers inside king tritons gardens...We didnt even have half of a view of the fireworks show, but my ankles thanked me! The person who invented the doublewide stroller should be kicked in the ass more than a few times, similar to that of a hazing!BAN THEM!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-08 07:09 am   Permalink

There's a lot of shuffling going on right now at WDI (Imagineering) and management, probably for the best. Pixar is getting more say, maybe a LOT of say, about park operation; John Lasseter has been given a primo management role.

They're looking for ways of updating and changing, and making the park more friendly as we write.

Anything that directly points out what bugs people can be helpful.

The problem is, much of it is simply and obviously overcrowding. Disnyland used to be busy when there were 30,000 people in the park at once. Now the number is up to 60 or 70,000. They're forced to close the doors at about 85,000. These are pretty scary numbers, and I'm researching the history of it all right now.

No wonder you feel like heads of cattle - you're one of 70,000!!!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-08 08:05 am   Permalink

Well, I hope this helps them:

Parades: Once a month, not every night. I was laughing at Tom Slick's account of trying to "outrun" the parade. It rarely works. I know. I have tried! The parade is everywhere, and the employees with the safety cone lights are everywhere, and it all happens simultaneously. You only have a narrow window to make your move.

Strollers: You can't bring your own. You have to rent the small, reasonably sized stroller. They will be 20 bucks, which is perfectly fair since that is just about the going rate for a babysitter.

Tomorrowland: Paint it white.

Haunted Mansion: Never convert it to nightmare before christmas again.

Toys: Buzz lightyear toys can only be sold outside the astroblaster rides, and nowhere else in the park.

Remove the vegetables in tomorrowland: Replace them with the space age ferns and philodendrons that used to be there. Donate the vegetables to a homeless shelter.

Reopen rides you shut down for no real good reason, like the peoplemover and the skyway. I don't care if anyone dies on them anymore. It thins the herd, and no one needs more herd-thinning then a 70,000 member audience!

Entrance gates and ride capacity: Keep all the gates open. Use the supermarket philosophy: You see more then three at a check stand, open another!

New Orleans square: Fantasmic: once a month, not every night. The Woodstock-like gypsy camp that the guests set up in front of the river, HOURS before the show starts is a travesty. They need to call INS and haul all those people away for deportation. I am talking about the caucasian, American citizen guests. Haul everyone away! And take their filthy towels, carpets, mats and pillows away too! How did they smuggle that stuff in anyway? Are they the reason the security checkpoint line is so long, as they go through each article of clothing and bedding?

Balloons and Churros: No more balloons allowed. The kids bring them in the lines for the rides, where they constantly bump against you. Later, when they escape from the hands of the kids, they sail high into the air and land in the cleveland national forest where a deer chokes on them and dies. The churros: My kid always asks for one, and then eats only the first 1/3. We are stuck with the rest of it. I clocked my time in one churro line, and it was 23 minutes. 23 minutes for 1/3 a churro? That's fuzzy math! The employee was going as slow as humanly possible. People were buying 10-20 churros at a time, just before the fantasmic show, and this guy was moving at a snail's pace with this sad sort of smile on his face.

No more McDonalds: McDonalds is not Tiki, .....ahem, I mean not DISNEY!

Jungleboat cruise: Stop the madness! The jokes are only funny if you actually have people with comic timing. "Let's see if I can translate what they are saying.......nope!" You have to put a decent pause in there, when you do that line. And clean out the microphones. I can't even understand what you are saying! Thurl Ravencroft's original recording of the ride narrrative is excellent. Why not go back to playing it straight? And the brief spurt of mist as you enter the jungle? Last time I checked, it's always raining in a real rainforest. How come only the giant spiders get wet? Soak those guests the whole time! As one poster said, the smell of Disney water is one of the few excellent things they still do. Chlorine and anti-fungul chemicals are delicious! Drop buckets on the passengers!

I could go on and on, but others here have already posted better stuff!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2007-12-08 08:21 ]

procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-08 10:20 am   Permalink

Disney is reading this? Okay, I will say it again, then. I am really disappointed in the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

Finding Nemo is a great movie. I loved it.

But going on a submarine voyage, and looking through real portholes through real, 3D water to see, essentially, flat screens running video of animated fish characters, is lame. REALLY lame!

They may be wonderfully high-tech plasma technology, but they are still 2D, even if you co-mingle them with 3D props. It's flat! It's flat! It's flat, flat, flat, flat!

The whole point is, the submarine takes you to a physically real place that you see in depth. Why go to all that physical trouble to watch flat video? I can look at video at home.

The only thing good about the new Submarine Voyage is anything that remains from the old one...the water, the real 3-D props, the fact that you get into a submarine that literally gives you an underwater view.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-08 10:30 am   Permalink

I think the parades (and Fantasmic) do exactly what they were designed to do; soak up enormous amounts of people like huge sea sponges and get them sitting down in one place doing nothing for hours on end. Think about how stupid these people are. Do you really want them roaming around?

We did our awesome 51-ride day by planning around the parades and making sure we hit the longest wait rides right at those times. It worked extremely well, and we snatched Fastpasses at those times too, cause nobody gets or uses Fastpasses during the parades!

Here's another hint to a 30+ ride day; get Fastpasses as quick as possible, but only use them when you really need them. They have to honor them after the ride window opens, almost all day.

Don't try to cross the parade line. You'll get run over by Goofy dressed up as Snow White or something, and then everybody will say at your funeral -

"He was run over by Goofy dressed as Snow White," and they'll snicker.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-08 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-04 22:06, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-12-04 16:14, Hakalugi wrote:
For those of you that bother to actually read it, you'll even find an "article" there from Tangaroa.

Well, where is the wanker?
Come on Tang!

I hate this - because "Tongaroa" - who IS NOT ME (notice the spelling is different)- is probably being confused as me. And I would never post on the re-imagineering blog - it would be a violation of all the non-disclosure agreements I have signed. I have removed my username as such on all blogs & chatrooms I do frequent (except here & BaliHijinks) because of this person. So, I just comment as my real name. I don't know who "Tongaroa" is - but I do wish this person would have chosen another name to use.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation