FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Beyond Tiki Ľ Ľ Why Disneyland Sucks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Why Disneyland Sucks
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-27 7:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-27 10:54, Cammo wrote:
So Ė

What Would Walt Do?

Part 1

Walt would say, "Gee, Cam. You think way too much. Maybe you should put all that energy into making another fabulous tiki mug like that incredibly cute Oki Doki."
___________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not really sure what Walt would do, although I think I've been channeling him on occasion ever since my mother dropped me on my head in the Disneyland parking lot that time when I was about two years old. (Explains a lot, doesn't it?)

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-27 8:28 pm   Permalink

I was fortunate to go there is 1968 and again in the late 70's. It was really cool back then. A childs dream. So, I don't know how bad it is. I would not mind going to the enchanted tiki room. Other than that I don't think i'll ever go back. Like the memories better.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-28 11:03 am   Permalink

The place certainly has changed, along with the rest of the world. When I do go there, it is generally for those little snippety remnants of the older place. The Submarine Voyage is different now, which is sad to me. The Tiki Room has been preserved, which is a great blessing.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-28 4:01 pm   Permalink

Anything is better than Sea World!!!
Talk about over crowding???!!!
Shamu Stadium is a Who Concert waiting to happen!!!

I'll take Disneyland any day.

Sorry for breaking in. Continue...

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-28 4:15 pm   Permalink

I can't believe Bamboozled Ben chimed in! Holy frock, Rev!

Sea World actually used to be fairly Tikified, there's a secret back-history to it being run and funded by a guy who made all his dough with a Tiki/Nautical restaurant. Somebody else can do the research, but it's pretty interesting.

I like how Kate's answer to everything is -

"Make more MUGS!"

Maybe she's right. There's a wise clarity to it. Maybe that's what Uncle Walt would say too.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-28 8:58 pm   Permalink

I like to think Walt might say "You're FIRED," to a lot of the ensuing Management stewards who, neither realizing nor respecting that they were in fact "stewards" of something far greater than they themselves could ever singly envision or achive, have made a hash out of his most magnificent achievement.

What the fans and most affectionate patrons would say is clearly manifest in this thread, and if any of the next generation of Disney-legacy leadership is lurking, let's hope this may be doing some bit of good.

(PS edit: I know this ain't the place to wander off on it, Rev, but since you mentioned Sea World, I can't help but add what I also really miss is Marineland. Got kissed by Bubbles-the-Whale when I was a kid, and when that Beluga's big head came up close enough to decapitate me, jaws wide open, teeth suddenly framing my entire view, and then the big sweetheart's haggis-sized tongue ever-so-gently pecked me on the cheek -- before the entire volume of that huge, living whale dropped away, back into the tank with a mighty splash...well, what can I say, but that I've been a little crazy about marine life ever since...)

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-12-28 21:09 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-29 08:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-27 10:54, Cammo wrote:
Part 3

Disneyland has always been overcrowded.

Opening day in 1955 was estimated at 15,000; the amount of invite-only tickets made. 28,154 showed up, famously climbing over the embankments and printing literally thousands of duplicate tickets to get in. This both scared and enticed Walt, who went to work with his planners to design new walk areas & line queues to allow Disneyland to hold 30,000 people.

Nowadays, low attendance days are anything under 30,000. Ask a Cast Member, any cast Member, they always know the daily totals. It gets around the grapevine really fast; ďWeíre up to 25, 35 projected.Ē The workers physically relax when they know less than 30,000 are coming into the park that day. They know it will be an easy day, a fun time for everybody.

Because the moderate-busy days are up to 50,000. A normal weekend, a regular Friday night in May, thatís the average attendance, 50,000 to 60,000. The staff gets keyed up on these days, they know they canít devote much time to the niceties, and they all start working more like machines. You can see it in their eyes.

But itís the busy-day attendance numbers that scare everybody. Employees dread working in the park on those days, especially the ones who have to work out in the crowds. On a busy day, there can be 70 - 85,000 guests in the park. At 85 or 86,000 Park Managers seem to be required to actually call the County Fire Marshall, who officially closes the front doors. Why have they picked this number? Why not 75,000? It canít be based on exit strategies, in case of a fire, say. There seem to be no exit plans. Or on the inability to get emergency vehicles anywhere into the park, because on busy days you simply canít move anywhere.

Maybe itís based on food reserves that can be served. Who knows?

But here are the real numbers; 85,000 doesnít count Cast Members! Itís an attendance figure only.

So with 5000 Ė 10,000 Cast Members in the park (Disney wonít release figures on any of this, so itís really hard to pin down) working above and below ground, coming and going, running parades, security everywhere, the actual numbers in the park can be up to 95,000.

But Ė that doesnít count those BIG STROLLERS. Because they take up the room of two to three people. And it doesnít count Fatmobiles, the electric cars those old fat people ride when they canít fit into wheelchairs anymore. They as well take up the room of 2-3 people. As a matter of fact, the only way of getting yourself any room in Disneyland on a busy day is to ride a Fatmobile and charge directly at a crowd. People run! Itís great sport!

So Ė if 1 person in 10 brings a huge stroller, and 1 in 20 bring a Fatmobile, on a busy day the park is crowded with in effect 107,750 people! And this is a lowball estimate.

The problem is, itís the job of Disney Management to get more people to come to the park, not less. High attendance is of course seen as a good thing. A profit of as little as $10 per guest can be as high as 800,000 in profit per day on busy days! At 15,000,000 per year attending, thatís $150,000,000 in profit per year. Every year. For ever.

And thatís why you see all those billboards on Highway 5 trying to get more people to come to the Park. They want more people. Itís their job, and they do it very well. More people come there every year. It ruins the experience, but nobody cares. Even visitors donít seem to care, even when they can only go on 3-5 rides a day. And how do you make people NOT come to Disneyland? And why?

The problem is, there may be no solution to any of this. People think that if they really look at any bad situation long enough and ponder hard enough, an answer will pop up that will solve everything. But maybe this just isnít solvable. Maybe thereís no way to fix it.

So Ė

What Would Walt Do?

God-DAMN! You are SO right! I take particular issue with the size of the strollers and the fat people carts.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-29 9:35 pm   Permalink

Somewhere I have holiday photos of the place in the 70's, and they show so few people...you can actually see and appreciate the place they'd built. It's really a beautiful sight if you get the crowds of people out of the way. It's unlikely a person will get to see such a thing unless you're there for the very early opening moments of the day.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-30 08:23 am   Permalink

Disneyland hits capacity and stops sales
December 28th, 2007 ∑ Post a Comment ∑ posted by stully
The week between Christmas and New Yearís Day traditionally is the busiest of the year for Disneyland. And this week is no different.

At least three times this week, Disneyland had to stop letting new visitors in because too many people were crowding the park. This afternoon, electronic readers on roads in the Disneyland area warned visitors that tickets were sold out for the day. When that happens, Disneyland has to turn people away, sending them to the sister park at Disneyís California Adventure or elsewhere.

ďThis is the time of year we are extra popular,Ē said Rob Doughty, a Disneyland spokesman. ďWe get to a point, to protect the guest experience, we will divert people to go to Disneyís California Adventure.Ē

The park is expected to stay crowded through Tuesday. Doughty suggests that guests arrive early before noon so they can get in.

Hours are 8 a.m. to midnight Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. Overnight on Monday - New Yearís Eve - the park will stay open from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.

ocregister.com

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-30 12:28 pm   Permalink

I did get turned away last year 2006 x-mas season, Fire Marshall Orders! I did go to Ca. Adventure instead. Always call first so you will not experience a let down. The ball is always in your court, ask & they will tell you of less crowded times or dates. I don't think this is too much to ask.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-31 12:02 pm   Permalink

I just ran away from home
Now I'm going to dizz knee land
I just crashed my car again
I just robbed a grocery store
I'm going to dizz knee land
I just flipped off President George

I just tossed a fifth of gin
I just got cuffed a gin
Shot my gun into the night
I just saw a good man die

Hey

Kicked my ass out of school
Rolled me out into the street
Hitched a ride on a monkey's back
Headed west into the black

I'm going to dizz knee land!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-12-31 12:02 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-02 2:27 pm   Permalink

The sad part about the overcrowdedness is that, according to the annual Disney stockholders report, Disneyland itself loses money every year. Those expensive tickets are not enough to support the cost to operate. Even with the overcrowding. I think this is why on "moderate" days they shut a lot of stuff down. Also why they push the overpriced merchandise on you everywhere. It is hard, I imagine, to run a failing business whose motto (and/or advertising promise) is the "Happiest Place on Earth."

And yet, would you prefer it to close down? I, for one, would not.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 8:28 pm   Permalink

Not close down. Improve it, though. I think the idea of deep-sixing the annual pass is the best one. If everyone had to pay a chunk for one day only, they would be less likely to sit around clogging main street waiting for a parade.

If I knew the Disney experience would be like it was when I was younger, then I would gladly pay 60-70 bucks for a one shot deal. I would not get to go 98 times per year, like I have in recent years, but the day spent would be a better one.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 8:44 pm   Permalink

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/for/497432656.html

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-03 11:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-03 20:28, lucas vigor wrote:
Not close down. Improve it, though. I think the idea of deep-sixing the annual pass is the best one. If everyone had to pay a chunk for one day only, they would be less likely to sit around clogging main street waiting for a parade.

If I knew the Disney experience would be like it was when I was younger, then I would gladly pay 60-70 bucks for a one shot deal. I would not get to go 98 times per year, like I have in recent years, but the day spent would be a better one.

Ridiculous

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation