FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki I Surrender! Where Is this Plate From?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
I Surrender! Where Is this Plate From?
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 11:08 am   Permalink

Sweeeeeeet !!

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-17 1:11 pm   Permalink

Anyone know where this plate may have been used?

Marked: Sterling vitrified china East Liverpool Ohio USA

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-17 3:20 pm   Permalink

Nice find on the plate 8FT. Sterling China is still in business and pumping out china for restaurants. They started in 1917 and have made tons of logo china for airlines, railroads and restaurants and diners. Not sure of when or who your plate was made for but I think there is a collectors guide out and available at most bookstores. Good find.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-18 08:20 am   Permalink

Sweeeet plate 8FT, any letters or numbers on the rear?

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-18 11:48 am   Permalink

Stylistically, this looks like 80s or 90s fantasy art, with an Art Nouveaux influence, not really like anything mid-century.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-18 4:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-18 08:20, Or Got Rum? wrote:
Sweeeet plate 8FT, any letters or numbers on the rear?

Yeah, I have 2 of these plates. One had D-8 the other D-9
Does that mean anything to you?

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-18 4:44 pm   Permalink

I am fairly sure D-8 was from Oct-Dec 1963...D-9 is from Jan-March 1964...hope this helps....Nice items. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-18 4:50 pm   Permalink

Well I'll be darned! To my eye it still has this Victorian doll collectors look and color palette.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-18 8:41 pm   Permalink

I've seen this pattern frequently and there are a few similar or copied designs by other manufacturers too. Some have hotel & restaurant markings on the center or bottom and the ones I've run into were dated from the 60's-70's.
Here's some on ebay now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sterling-Restaurant-China-Ship-Border-Design-9-Plate_W0QQitemZ170391339452QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ac1d81bc
http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-LAMBERTON-CHINA-HOTEL-ROLYAT-SAILING-SHIP-CREAMER_W0QQitemZ190341474757QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c513c69c5
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-China-mugs-saucers-SHIPS-Nautical-theme-PLUS_W0QQitemZ120464718710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0c41bb76
http://cgi.ebay.com/Homer-Laughlin-Plate-w-Sailing-Ships-on-the-Sea-9-5-8_W0QQitemZ120426871326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0a003a1e

I collect an older pattern that has a simpler design in the same vein by Syracuse called "The Viking" patented from 1902. It also had its duplicators dating at least into the 60's. The one pictured below from the 7 Seas restaurant is the Syracuse as is the green oval plate.

View Profile of caffeinated Send a personal message to caffeinated      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 2:11 pm   Permalink

Caffeinated-Not to take away from your plate, but you are kinda derailing Tiki Kate's thread .
I would have possible started another plate thread.She as well as others are still wanting
info on the original plate that was posted.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-20 2:30 pm   Permalink

Actually if you read through, my post is in response to the plate 8FT posted several spots up. I was showing similar plates like that are in the e-bay links I posted which gives some varied locations where they were used. The other pattern I have is relevant to that design as an example of the varied usage of these basic patterns and the locations where mine were used were later upgraded with the more colorful pattern in some cases. I think the "tiki-ness" of all is a bit far off, though some may tie in to the nautical theme coinciding with tiki themes at times.

If the thread was derailed I got on after it left the track.

[ This Message was edited by: caffeinated 2009-10-20 14:39 ]

View Profile of caffeinated Send a personal message to caffeinated      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 1:37 pm   Permalink

So...a seperate thread for every plate question? I apologize to everyone who feels I derailed this and caused others to follow suit. I can delete my posts but that won't get rid of the replies. Kate, a personal I'm sorry to you. Shall I start erasing??? 8ft

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 3:10 pm   Permalink

Kate, do you have a photo of the markings on the back of your plate? And on a side note I think a thread just for restaurant server ware and dinner ware china is a great idea. With the knowledge folks on TC have it would be great to see it all come out on one big thread.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 5:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-21 13:37, 8FT Tiki wrote:
So...a seperate thread for every plate question? I apologize to everyone who feels I derailed this and caused others to follow suit. I can delete my posts but that won't get rid of the replies. Kate, a personal I'm sorry to you. Shall I start erasing??? 8ft

Oh please. The title of the thread is "Where Is This Plate From?" It's not "Where Is Kate's Plate From?" If I had wanted to narrow the scope, I would have changed the title. No need to apologize.

I like Uncle Trav's idea of a restaurant ware thread though. There are a ton of really cool tiki and tiki-adjacent designs out there.

Trav - I'll get a picture of the back of the plate posted soon.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 6:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks Kate. Just started a thread here in collecting Tiki. Hope it will get some input. Thanks.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation