FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai - Tiki Archeology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mai Kai - Tiki Archeology
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 10:44 am   Permalink

I saw this on my Flickr contact Agility Nut's photostream and thought you all would enjoy it too! I did a quick check to see if anyone else had posted this but didn't see it. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agilitynut/4083762759/in/set-72157622631929975/
you can click on the link for a close up!

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 12:18 pm   Permalink

Woaaah!!

8-foot hands holding a 24 foot bowl!!!

That's one hell of a Mystery Bowl!!!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 6:03 pm   Permalink

That has to be one of the coolest billboards I've ever seen! I can only imagine how much this must have cost the Mai-Kai. Must have looked spectacular at night with the colored floods. I suspect it stood somewhere along U.S. 1, but since it doesn't have an address on it, maybe it stood just to the side of the Mai-Kai in what were back then vacant, sandy lots.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-02 05:47 am   Permalink

Nice rendering on a vintage frig magnet given to me as a gift from my sister.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzledd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-04 08:24 am   Permalink

Here are some photos I took on my last trip to Mai Kai:

View Profile of swizzledd Send a personal message to swizzledd  Email swizzledd Goto the website of swizzledd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 09:18 am   Permalink

1969 photo showing the carving in the calendar drawing that we have been confusing with the piece from the Surf Bar and now in the gardens.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 11:22 am   Permalink

The little hut you see right by the street was lost in the 2005 hurricanes.

And notice the roofline.... the thatching does not cover the entire roof. The part closest to the street is not covered. That allowed the inside gardens to be what was effectively a giant terrarium. It was a lush (miniature) tropical rain forrest.

And, if any of you carvers are looking for inspiration, here is another shot of that Tiki that stood guard over the driveway.

Also, check out the fernwood tiki right behind him.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-22 09:18, Swanky wrote:
1969 photo showing the carving in the calendar drawing that we have been confusing with the piece from the Surf Bar and now in the gardens.

I didn't realize there was any confusion over that. Yes, they are (well, were) two separate carvings. The one that was outside was much different.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-06 12:06 pm   Permalink

Just to clarify the Mai Kai photos from the archives posted by DustyCajun, that's Bob(owner)Thornton playing football with Linda(who did the mystery girl thing), Cathy( who also sometimes did the mystery girl thing, but without the upper attributes) and Pam.
The knife dancer is Taafili with Heitapu in the backround.
Dancers are Tuai, Mireille(Bob's wife) and Kainoa.
Last picture is Toti, Mireille, Heitapu and Lundy Nelson(show leader and MC)beside the toere.

My wife and I are headed to Molokai bar Tuesday to have a Barrel of Rum.
Okole Maluna

[ This Message was edited by: nibblegribitz 2010-06-06 12:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nibblegribitz 2010-06-09 09:28 ]

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-09 8:21 pm   Permalink

The maiden in the gardens(on this page)is Linda Perdue.

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-10 6:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-10 11:24, Dustycajun wrote:
Awesome restoration! Great Job.

Here are a few more Mai Kai photos from the archives.

DC

Just to clarify the Mai Kai photos from the archives posted by DustyCajun, that's Bob(owner)Thornton playing football with Linda(who did the mystery girl thing), Cathy( who also sometimes did the mystery girl thing, but without the upper attributes) and Pam.
Last picture is Toti, Mireille, Heitapu and Lundy Nelson(show leader and MC)beside the toere.

Nibblegribitz

nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-10 6:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-10 11:24, Dustycajun wrote:
Awesome restoration! Great Job.

Here are a few more Mai Kai photos from the archives.

DC

Nibblegribitz

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 10:37 am   Permalink

I just got a new menu off Ebay and emailing with the seller it turns out they are in TN, but were in FL from 63-77 and visited the Mai-Kai regularly. They are looking through photo albums for pics and the first ones are from 1984 when they were down visiting relatives:

Good to see Barney in better days...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifred
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-09 7:44 pm   Permalink

From a visit this past weekend

[ This Message was edited by: tikifred 2010-11-09 19:46 ]

View Profile of tikifred Send a personal message to tikifred      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-10 09:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-09 19:44, tikifred wrote:
From a visit this past weekend
[ This Message was edited by: tikifred 2010-11-09 19:46 ]

These types of posts should go in the Mai-Kai thread.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10334&forum=2

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation