FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai - Tiki Archeology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mai Kai - Tiki Archeology
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 11:27 am   Permalink

Aloha dusctycajun,

Nice pictures!!!!!

Is that Lundy Nelson in the above photo with the ukulele?

If not, do you have any pictures of Lundy? I would love to see them.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 3:56 pm   Permalink

Back to the past...

As many of you saw at Hukilau, the Big Barney West tiki in the Mai Kai gardens finally surcame to the ravages of time (and bugs and water). On either Monday or Tuesday the big guy fell in the middle of the night. There is a picture out there of the fallen idol, but someone (wink, wink) needs to post it. If you saw the tiki recently you know that it was in really bad shape. Well the maintenance guys quickly proceeded to chop it into manageable pieces and tossed him into the dumpster!! The Mai Kai quickly responded to the empty space in the garden by reaching into their warehouse and retrieving one of their buried treasures.

This tiki is one of their originals and is pictured in one of the original artists renderings (in the BOT). The current theory is that the tiki had a bird that was attached to its head and somehow the bird broke off taking parts of the head with it. It was removed and stored for several decades to be resurrected this past week.

Got archive pictures? Please post if you have anything! I need an original image of this tiki. Please help.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 2:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-19 15:56, AlohaStation wrote:
Back to the past...

As many of you saw at Hukilau, the Big Barney West tiki in the Mai Kai gardens finally surcame to the ravages of time (and bugs and water).

one of the concierge fellows in the blazers told us that someone had stubbed out a cigarette in the tiki and a small fire had resulted. of course, this may be pure b.s....

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 3:10 pm   Permalink

You're talking about this tiki, right?

I'm still trying to get my head around this:

Quote:
Well the maintenance guys quickly proceeded to chop it into manageable pieces and tossed him into the dumpster!!

That was an iconic tiki carved by Barney fricken West - how does it get cut up and tossed into a dumpster? In 2009? By the Mai Kai no less.

My rational brain understands it was probably rotten, spongy and termite eaten, but I've seen posts on this board of people putting huge efforts into restoring old rotten tikis that didn't have any known history. How can that tiki just have been thrown away? Unbelievable.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 08:26 am   Permalink

No, he's talking about a different image from old calendars. I have the image he is talking about on my other computer. It is similar. A skinny winged thing. I'll get it up here soon.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-20 15:10, Koolau wrote:
You're talking about this tiki, right?

No, that guy is still there.

This is the guy that went down just before Hukilau:

Time and the South Florida Weather have been unkind to him. And the termites didn't help. I looked down into what was left of his feet, it was really amazing he didn't come down sooner.

We had some rather gusty winds the week before Hukilau and it was too much for him. He fell over backwards, went through a section of fence and hit the ground pretty hard. Kind of like in the movies where they pour the liquid nitrogen over somebody and then they break into a billion tiny pieces.... that gives you an idea. Apparently there weren't too many bits big enough to really do anything with.

And, since the Mai Kai was about to host all of the visitors in town for the Hukilau, they scrambled through the warehouse and found this guy:

Quote:

On 2009-06-19 15:56, AlohaStation wrote:

To stand in for the fallen tiki. The fence was patched and some plants added so everyone could still have their picture taken with the Tiki's.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 10:59 am   Permalink

And no... the new guy in the gardens is not the "Bird Head Tiki" from the BOT or the original renderings:

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 04:52 am   Permalink

Poor Barney
R.I.P.

I think I've seen pics of the new guy in the Molakai
Back in the day. I'd seen it in the wharehse & it was
there because it had been damaged. He gad something
behind his head, indicated by a slot back there.
If I had a pic I could try & replace what ever it was.

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 05:31 am   Permalink

Yuck! Tiki-gore!
Poor guy...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 08:09 am   Permalink

The tiki that went up in his place used to be on the endcap in the Surf Bar (Pre-Molokai). There is a postcard of this tiki from the day complete with a few of those famous pineapple stools in view.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-22 08:09, Basement Kahuna wrote:
The tiki that went up in his place used to be on the endcap in the Surf Bar (Pre-Molokai). There is a postcard of this tiki from the day complete with a few of those famous pineapple stools in view.

Yep. That's it!

And I think there is a sketch in a calendar. Still looking.

I was under the impression the head was destroyed. Heck, that's salvagable. Wish I had known.

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2009-06-22 10:06 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 11:10 am   Permalink

Now we're cooking with Solar Power!! I really need a representation of the headpiece, please. Is there a date on that photo/card?

I was told that the maintenance guys trampled (especially the face) what was left as they cleaned it up almost immediately. We ALL would have loved to salvage him but to the Mai-Kai's credit they did clean it up before most folks even realized what happened. Most of us on this site would have preferred a different course of action - coulda, woulda, shoulda - its done. From what I understand he didn't all go in the dumpster??

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 5:42 pm   Permalink

Aha!
June 1974

I knew I'd seen it. Not much help repairing it though.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 04:11 am   Permalink

I don't think the one pictured in the Molokai is the same one
in the garden now. The garden one is 14 ft tall & has 3 feet in the ground. The one in the Molokai looks to be 9 foot or so.

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 4:50 pm   Permalink

This has got to be an ultra rare mug, The cocktail is the Orbit Drink. I want one of these, hell I want the drink recipe. The caption with the picture says.

"Waitress in Mai Kai restaurant serving Orbit Drink in honor of John H. Glenn's space flight. January 1 1962"

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation