FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Heather Watts - Pg9 - Oasis Velvet Mini-Preview (more to come)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Heather Watts - Pg9 - Oasis Velvet Mini-Preview (more to come)
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 5:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks again for all the nice comments guys!

I always feel kinda weird about posting "sold" beside everything (like I'm tooting my own horn or something) but I don't want to get emails and PMs from people who want them, only to disappoint.

I think I'll have to do a special sale just on this thread for TCers--after all, this IS where I got my glamorous start! Maybe I'll make it an annual affair... Okay, the wheels on this are turning now in my head! Time to let that idea simmer for a while. I'll keep you all posted.

PS-I totally forgot to post this one, which I did for DJLee.

"The Mystery of Music"
9" x 12" Acrylic on Black Velvet

Oh yeah, and LLT--I figured you'd dig Ruby River! It reminds me of The Flower Canoe vibe a bit.

[ This Message was edited by: travellin' tiki 2009-04-24 15:29 ]

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 12:04 pm   Permalink

Beautiful velvets indeed! Congrats

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-24 06:11 am   Permalink

I love the melancholy mood of "The Mystery of Music" and appreciate that it is set outside of a canoe. Beautiful work.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-24 08:36 am   Permalink

"The Mystery of Music" is just beautiful, Heather. It's a really poignant piece that expresses so much. The birds and floating notes are perfect. Lucky Lee, but then again, we really love our little seafarer! We'll see you & Mike in a few months~!

Andy

http://www.myspace.com/tikijoesocean

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-24 09:23 am   Permalink

OMG, the new work all looks amazing!!! love the more earthy color pallet! i particularly loooooooooove "kidnapped".

ur my hero!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 12:56 am   Permalink

Quote:
I love the melancholy mood of "The Mystery of Music" and appreciate that it is set outside of a canoe. Beautiful work.

First Robb, thank you so much for posting. I was blown away by your work when I stumbled on it on TC a while ago and continue to be so--always stunning and inspiring. And believe me, I'm the first to admit, sure, maybe I have a bit of a canoe problem, but I've got it under control... It's not like it's a real problem or anything... I can totally handle it... I don't NEED to paint canoes, I just WANT to... I can stop any time I want... I swear...

Or maybe I should take this opportunity to admit publicly something you've all known for a while now... that I'm totally, shamelessly, remorselessly addicted to canoe imagery.

"The Blue Canoe"
8" x 16" Acrylic on Black Velvet
Not sold. Please PM me for details.

"Tiki Demon"
5" x 7" Acrylic on Black Velvet
This was a commission piece for a friend.

There's just something so "Heart of Darkness" about black velvet. The way it surrounds its subject with such utter perfect blackness--to me it just screams: hapless wanderers paddling off into uncharted realms!

For me, the image of the canoe can be a symbol of moving forward, shaking off the past, confronting the abyss of the unknown. It can denote a sense of being lost, adrift, un-anchored; or one of knowing exactly where you're going. It's paddlers can embark upon a long and uncertain journey. Or it can usher them home to the familiar safety of the tribe. If tiki is the soul, canoe is the body!

That said, I am doing my best to overcome my ritual obsession with painting canoes, and I hope to make a full recovery. In homage to that, may I present (I even set up a little altar for him):

The Cryptkeeper's Mask
12" x 12" Acrylic on Black Velvet
Not sold. Please PM me for details.

Thanks to everyone else who replied to this most recent post and also to posts past. I was in a mad dash to finish my accounting for tax time these past two weeks (Canadian tax time) but that is officially done! Of course I'm a little behind on everything else now, but I'm sneaking in a few minutes to wax poetic about canoes and post here again (finally!)

I've been really bad about not giving personal replies on this thread but I hope this post will help me turn over a new leaf and remedy that. Making art is such a remarkably solitary job most of the time, and one of the best parts is being able to break out of your little art-bubble when you finish something and share your art with other people. Thanks for being such a receptive audience!

Thanks for your encouragement Clarita!

Andy--Mahalo! I should have known you would dig this piece. I just realized I haven't posted the little seafarer here yet... mind if I do?

BigToe--I'm glad you like the colors, I'm definitely experimenting more now that I'm getting more used to the medium. And "kidnapped" is one of my favs too... I wish I'd painted that one to keep!

That's it girls and boys!
My canoe awaits. See you on the other side!
Mahalo,
Heather

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-04-30 01:28 ]

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 10:04 am   Permalink

Dang Heather!
Blue Canoe's face is full of happy mystery!
and Cryptkeeper's mask is on FIYAH!
Glad your pushing the envelope on these
it's an artist's duty to push it/examine it
and fully conquer a medium/subject matter
and you have!
Always a delight to see your paintings!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MarkusK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-30 12:58 pm   Permalink

I did always like the canoe series very much but the cryptkeeper is just mindblowing! This one's got it all - technique, composition, vibe...top-notch!

View Profile of MarkusK Send a personal message to MarkusK      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-30 2:43 pm   Permalink

Simply beautiful!

The cryptkeeper would make an AMAZING ceramic tile. Mahalo for sharing - I cant stop staring at the photos!

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 3:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!

LLT--you're like a bottomless well of encouragement, you know that? Your prolific creation of a seemingly endless line-up of tiki characters in every conceivable scene (not to mention your colors and your totally fluid, dynamic animated sense of style!) is a total inspiration! And if that weren't enough, you leave thoughtful posts like this on my thread!

Markusk & VanTiki! Thanks for the nice comments on Cryptkeeper. He was a really time-intensive piece, but totally worth it. Mahalo! (VanTiki--your stuff also blows me away. I gotta get back in that thread again and do some more lurking...)

Okay that's it for now. I'm wrapping up a small hula girl velvet tonight for a local show here in Vancouver, and I'm in the process of making some greeting cards again and new earrings to post in a shiny new Etsy store! Never a dull moment. Anyway, I'll keep you posted, especially with the hula girl when she's done.

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 4:10 pm   Permalink

Heather:

Thanks for taking my comment the right way. I think your using the same imagery is a good idea. Gallery-level artists like you do especially well if you don't frantically experiment all the time - a la Sas Christensen, Fafi, Dalek, etc.

I'm personally addicted to deep, deep jungle - it touches the deepest part of me and makes my work personal in a way most people probably can't see, but hopefully feel.

I appreciate the design of your tikis - very fanciful but tightly done at the same time. And that soft, soft, glowey light....

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 02:24 am   Permalink

Robb--I'll reply to your post next time I post... right now... must... sleep. But first I'll post my hula girl piece, which I just finished. She's going in a local show here in Vancouver tomorrow night as part of the burlesque festival. I'll edit this post with a better scan and add a framed pic later.

Enjoy!

Flower Drum Dance
8" x 10" Acrylic on Black Velvet

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-01 09:18 am   Permalink

MINE!!!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 09:59 am   Permalink

The Hula Girl has to be one of my favorites!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 5:00 pm   Permalink

Geez LaRue, Heather. The Hula Girl is crazy good. You should get paid for doin' this shtuff.

Absolutely, you may use the lil' Seafarer. Spread the Love~

Whattya got up your sleeve for Oasis. Hmmm?

& BIG congrats on doing the cover for the Skip Heller CD. Can't wait to see & hear it.

Cheers

Andy
http://www.myspace.com/tikijoesocean

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation